Merkabah: MB 2626 AK 6x6 tipper to expedition truck conversion

Sitec

Adventurer
Good to hear all is good with you and Merkabah is still progressing! I took a punt and went with the center of the chassis for the twist point as it seemed to be pretty close to it with a basic frame test. I then tacked the two pivots in place and twisted it using a jack and blocks. it all twisted/pivoted nicely and nothing got tight, went bank or broke.... so I must be close! ;)... Here's a pic of some twist with the body staying straight. Keep posting pics of your progress. Hope to meet one day!

Mid Mounts 6.jpg

pairospam

Observer
Hello all:

Happy 2020. Hope everybody may fulfill his dreams and have fun this year, those who are travelling, those who are finishing their trips, those who want to change vehicle and/or start a totally new adventure driving one of these big beasts.

I keep on working on the Merkabah. Little time, little but permanent progresses, though.

Just to stay in touch and show that perseverance pays off.

Greetings.

Pairoa

Merkabah enero 2020.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Hello all:

Happy 2020. Hope everybody may fulfill his dreams and have fun this year, those who are travelling, those who are finishing their trips, those who want to change vehicle and/or start a totally new adventure driving one of these big beasts.

I keep on working on the Merkabah. Little time, little but permanent progresses, though.

Just to stay in touch and show that perseverance pays off.

Greetings.

Pairoa

View attachment 559758

Looking good! I want your RH raised air intake! I have a left and am looking for a right to force air into the cab! Recon it'd look good with two!

Neil

Observer
Pairoa. Happy New year to you from hot and sweaty Colombia.

The truck looks great.

Simon. I have searched for 6 years for such an air intake. They are almost impossible to find

Neil

Sitec

Adventurer
We'll keep looking.... Just need a bigger magnet! So, when do you start the body build? Have you a layout yet? :)

Sitec

Adventurer
So.... I was looking through a Russian overland group on Faceplant this morning, and I saw a picture that reminded me instantly of a sketch I'd seen about a year ago.... This was the sketch I saw...
Sketch.jpg

And this was the pic I found this morning!!! Seems you are not alone in your original thoughts! :)

Reality.jpg

pairospam

Observer
Hi Sitec and other guys:

I made that sketch when I was thirteen, sooooo long ago! Always have loved 6x6 concept. None of us is original in anything... we just gather round here, at this special place.

Unfortunately I have to make a pause and disassemble the gearbox for servicing. There are some noises at high speed (60 km/hr LOL) that have to be checked before going on with the Box.

The Merkabah is again at the shop, waiting for removing the fuel tank and then the gearbox.

16267.jpg

Greetings from Chile.

Pairoa

pairospam

Observer
Hi, again:

Just to briefly report that the gearbox is still on the ground, waiting for repair and servicing. It is a big and heavy monster.

16279.jpg
16289.jpg
16291.jpg

The noises were coming from the 4th-3rd speed syncronizer cone, which was broken in five pieces. The rest of the gears and shifting parts showed signs of misuse and lack of use at the same time, and I need to replace quite a lot of parts.

16317.jpg
16319.jpg

Disassembling was more complicated than originally thought, partly due to the massive size of some components and gears, but it was absolutely necessary to have the gearbox clean and ready for many more thousand kilometers.

16351.jpg
16353.jpg

I am waiting for tomorrow to ask and order the spare parts and see how many of them can be found locally. Wish me luck.

Greetings.

Pairoa

Sitec

Adventurer
Hope you can still find all the parts. Looks like your transfer case and gearbox are all one piece...

A_anu

https://www.instagram.com/descubiendourantia/?hl=e
Hi, again:

Just to briefly report that the gearbox is still on the ground, waiting for repair and servicing. It is a big and heavy monster.

View attachment 567725
View attachment 567726
View attachment 567727

The noises were coming from the 4th-3rd speed syncronizer cone, which was broken in five pieces. The rest of the gears and shifting parts showed signs of misuse and lack of use at the same time, and I need to replace quite a lot of parts.

View attachment 567728
View attachment 567729

Disassembling was more complicated than originally thought, partly due to the massive size of some components and gears, but it was absolutely necessary to have the gearbox clean and ready for many more thousand kilometers.

View attachment 567730
View attachment 567731

I am waiting for tomorrow to ask and order the spare parts and see how many of them can be found locally. Wish me luck.

Greetings.

Pairoa
Awesome job, you have a great virtue brother!
Best regards ?

CragMog

Just spoke with my mechanic here in Sydney - That truck had the option of a MB 8 speed, ZF 5 speed or Road Ranger 10, 13 or 15 speed. He has spare Road Ranger 10 and 13 speed boxes if that helps.

pairospam

Observer
Thank you, guys.

I have found almost all the parts, and the seller is helping to locate the ones he does not have in stock. It was easier than thought as there are many pieces interchangeable among different ZF gearboxes models.

Yes, it is a divorced gearbox - transfer.

Just wait for the bill (ouch) and the delivery to complete the disassembly and began to assembly with the new parts.

More to come later.

Pairoa

NICHY

Curiosamente conoci su camion en 2018 en mi viaje por sudamerica al ir a buscar un compresor de muelles pare a preguntar en ese taller (ya que un amigo vive en ese pueblo san felipe) y pude observar el gran trabajo que esta haciendo, ahora al leer la historia ha sido toda una coincidencia muy grata, mis felicitaciones.

saludos desde españa

pairospam

Observer
Hola Nichy:

Gracias y qué bueno que te haya gustado. El mundo es un pañuelo.

Saludos desde Chile.

As expected, I am stuck with the repairing of the gearbox. Things have become very difficult regarding delivery of parts from abroad, and the disassembling has revealed itself as a pretty tough task.

Take care you all.

Pairoa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles