MERCEDES VARIO AIR SUSPENSION

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Yep - The bottom and thickest leaf. If I were doing it, I'd fit a spacer.
Is the template in electronic format? I'd be interested in a copy.
Did you use the on-board air supply or a separate pump?

part time nomad

Adventurer
Templates - very high tech !! drew round shapes on to the back of an old bit of card, ha ha,

mind you I can arrange them onto the scanner.

I used the on board compressor, unlike full air suspension it does not consume a lot of air.

Squiddlydiddly

Great information, thanks.

If you could scan the templates that would be great as it would save a load of time to try to replicate them. No worries if its a hassle, just seeing your setup is enough.

Have you road tested them yet? It would be great to hear what difference it makes.

Plus, I don't think you have stated what weight you currently have on the rear as a comparison.

I have been toying with fitting a set on the rear for a while now. My ride is not that bad but i'd like the option to adjust the ride height when needed as well as a better ride.

Cheers

Steve

part time nomad

Adventurer
Yes I will sort the templates when I remember to bring to the office.

Still finishing off a couple of bits before road test, I decided to alter the rear wheel cut outs, as I thought they looked a little low.

As far as weights are concerned, with all the water and fuel tanks full and loaded to travel, it goes 4000 kgs on the rear axle and 2260 on the front,

Like yourself, the ride is not bad but It would be nice to lift it a bit and get extra ride comfort.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Road test with the air springs fitted appears to be a well worth while improvement, I ran at 2 bar on the front and 3 bar on the back.
its also interesting to see the pressure fluctuate as the springs flex!

On the whole it appears to make the ride far more comfortable.

pushlan

Oh, I also install on my vario air suspension)
Front air bag:
35113547284_b2582e685f_b.jpg

35113546174_fdd0eb0ebd_b.jpg

35782428452_7ecbfc7a90_b.jpg

Rear axle suspension:
35911813856_ece0d259f3_b.jpg

35911816196_a0601ce7bc_b.jpg

35782425192_54c10076ab_b.jpg

olafboswijk

Observer
hi part time nomad,
have you been happy with your suspension now? I have a 814D too from 2000 and we have travelled from Canada to Argentina for the last 3 years but have also felt it was so hard. specifically on bumpy roads, or worse on washboards (of which there is a lot especially in Patagonia), we just cannot do the same speeds as almost any other vehicle. so I was wondering what is possible to improve the 'bounce' so to say :)

part time nomad

Adventurer
Hello, Yes I feel it definately improves the ride, and it can be adjusted from inside the cab to suit.

If you lift it up on the air bags it means that there is less of the metal spring doing the work, obviously it doe not turn it into a Rolls Royce but I am glad I did mine..

How`s the Vario holding up?

erwin z

Nobody said it yet, so I will.
Air suspension and live axle are 2 separate systems. Your rear setup now uses both.
The front as well.
To see your air setup, older Freightliners had it. The spring only positioned the axle.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Quite right erwin!
The main suspension remains to be the steel springs, as you say these locate the axle into position, or at least the fixed end does not the swinging shackle end.

The additional air bags are just that, additional! they serve to assist the steel springs by lifting some of the weight of the vehicle off the steel springs, and therefore create an amount of air spring before the effect of the harsher steel spring.
The two systems are independent but work together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles