Mercedes startin issue

Joe917

Explorer
My wife and I are headed down to Florida from Ottawa.
The truck has been flawless (apart from the 10mpg) until 2 days ago. We stopped after a few hours of driving, when I tried to restart all I got was a click from the starter or solenoid. After the truck had cooled for a while (1/2 hour) it started fine. The problem has repeated now 3 more times, always when the truck is hot and always starting again after a cooling of period.
Is this a starter going bad? solenoid? Connections are all tight and batteries charged.
Suggestions?
We are in Charleston headed south, can anyone recommend a mechanic or garage on our route?
Thanks, Joe

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Could it be thermal expansion jamming the solenoid?
Perhaps aggravated by crud in the mechanism?
How difficult is it to pull the Starter out and inspect?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
not really MB related, but all starters are similar. This has happened to me was on my Discovery Tdi. It would just click when hot, let is cool down and it would start. Turned out the solenoid contacts inside were heavily carboned over, I took it all apart and cleaned it, got another 6 months out of it before it happened again. Got a new starter and it has lasted five years to date.

If you are sure the wires are all good and none of them are loose and the battery terminals etc are in good condition, then you will be best getting a new starter motor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior