Mercedes Overland Building/Tuning

RoamIt

Thanks Mog, they were on the list. I had read that Progressive was pretty open to it as an RV and eventually I'll be driving it more than just to cars and coffee ;)

This may end up being a 2 stage process, insure now as truck/commercial/specialty. Then after converted, insure as RV.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Thanks Mog, they were on the list. I had read that Progressive was pretty open to it as an RV and eventually I'll be driving it more than just to cars and coffee ;)
This may end up being a 2 stage process, insure now as truck/commercial/specialty. Then after converted, insure as RV.
That is what I did. Oregon has a 'Special Interest Vehicle' plate which is $70 for a 'lifetime' (which it had when I bought it) and is transferable, so I transferred it in that category and changed the Hagarty to my name. That type Oregon plate is a 'show' type plate, but hey, if I'm driving to the Overland Expo meet in Plains, WA, that is a 'show'. And driving for repairs/maintenance/modifications is OK also, so that gives you lots of reasons for being on the road, other than the 4th of July main street parade. Once I put the camper on the back, I changed to an RV license plate ($100 per year) and switched to my auto/home insurance company (Allstate), as they had no issues with this oddball 'motorhome'. as it had Oregon RV license plates, that is all they needed to make them happy.
Of course, AOs differ, but unless you are driving it every day on the same route, most people including LEOs are going to be more interested in your oddball truck, that the type plate you have on it. Just have a preplanned reason for your trips ?

ekibike

This is exactly what I am doing with Progressive. I insured our 1017A as an RV per it's title but it wasn't actually finished as an RV when they requested photos so they suggested I cancel that policy and establish a commercial policy until it's complete. Though, I didn't have to deal with the VIN stuff because mine has a US VIN. That said, I have a JDM vehicle with a short VIN and it confused Progressive so much (they kept saying it was gray market and uninsurable) that I set it up with American National insurance (Hagerty wasn't interested...).

RoamIt

Well, picked up the MB1224 yesterday in Florida.
Headed out this morning.

stopped to use bathroom, maybe 5min.

truck won’t start, has new batteries, but it just clicks.

checked battery connections-tight
Checked in neutral
Check parking brake on
Checked position of switches, not sure that makes a difference
Not pressing on air brake

I flew down here, so I don’t have tools at my disposal, even if I did, don’t what else to start.

knew driving it back up would be a risk, but I only made it 70 miles ?

ekibike

but it just clicks.

I've not had this issue with my 1017 but its cropped up frequently on other vehicles I've owned and it's always been a starter that's going out. Try lightly tapping the starter with a hammer a few times and then starting again - so far this has always worked for me ?

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Well, picked up the MB1224 yesterday in Florida.
Headed out this morning.

stopped to use bathroom, maybe 5min.

truck won’t start, has new batteries, but it just clicks.

checked battery connections-tight
Checked in neutral
Check parking brake on
Checked position of switches, not sure that makes a difference
Not pressing on air brake

I flew down here, so I don’t have tools at my disposal, even if I did, don’t what else to start.

knew driving it back up would be a risk, but I only made it 70 miles ?

check the voltage, new or not this sounds like a battery issue...

Joe917

Explorer
Batteries new? before or after shipping? if before shipping it may have sat weeks with a small load killing your new batteries. Check cable connections again. The starter is in a tough place to access below the turbo(my replacement starter took a week from Germany) . Best bet is get a tow start with a long rope from one of the many onlookers with a one ton. jump starting 24 volt vehicles requires non typical equipment so you may be best to buy two new batteries.

Geo.Lander

Batteries new? before or after shipping? if before shipping it may have sat weeks with a small load killing your new batteries. Check cable connections again. The starter is in a tough place to access below the turbo(my replacement starter took a week from Germany) . Best bet is get a tow start with a long rope from one of the many onlookers with a one ton. jump starting 24 volt vehicles requires non typical equipment so you may be best to buy two new batteries.

Or just use a multimeter to check them first..

And a 12v 10amp charger will be cheaper than 2 new batteries.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
If it has been on a ship, it probably has dead batteries. In extreme cases, salt corrosion.

But you said 70 miles. Did it start, let you drive 70 miles, and then not restart?

Tow starts can be hard. There IS a way to disable the parking brake so that you can tow start, but, in practice, it only works if you have air pressure. And, if it won't start, you probably don't have enough air. (Been there. Catch 22 :mad: )

Joe917

Explorer
Should have air pressure after a 5 min stop. Charging is fine but: it takes time, is there power available? Are the batteries finished anyway after transport?

RoamIt

I've not had this issue with my 1017 but its cropped up frequently on other vehicles I've owned and it's always been a starter that's going out. Try lightly tapping the starter with a hammer a few times and then starting again - so far this has always worked for me ?

lifted the cab, banged on the starter- no luck.

of course I’m worried it’s just something simple I’m missing.

but I made sure it’s in neutral
Parking brake on
Foot NOT on air brake switch
Other switches checked as far as I know.
It has new batteries, as I said, but I suspect either the starter is shot or the alternator is gone and not charging the batteries enough to crank the starter.
When I picked it up yesterday I drove to several places, picking up this and that for the 1200mi drive back.

obviously a major mistake. But it was ‘fully serviced’ and only has 67k miles, so thought it was a reasonable expectation that it would make it.

RoamIt

It had new batteries installed here, so very new.
I think it’s the alternator.

I drove it around yesterday, making 4-5 stops, then hit the road this morning.

Martin from Terra Exp also drove it around, getting the title, etc.

I thinkit’s just been starting on-the batteries and they finally ran down.

I got a tow after a dozen calls, most did not want to touch it when I told them what it was.

it’s at a shop now and they will take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully it is the alternator and they can get another one to fit or rebuild the Existing one.

it could have been much worse, I was broke down in a shopping center with bathrooms, food, AC, (freaking hot in Florida right now)

they had to tow it from the rear, and could get to itfrom either end where I was parked, been on the side of the road on interstate 75, there would have been no u-turns to get to the rear.

Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll keep you posted on what happens.

Joe917

Explorer
Keep cool,don't panic. As long as everyone is safe it can all be solved. Every American mechanic will run a mile at first. There is nothing complicated about these engines other than the 24 volt system. Most mechanics I have met have drooled over the Mercedes engine.
Neutral does not matter
clutch does not matter
parking brake does not matter.
You should turn the key in neutral, foot off the engine brake/stop on the floor.
The alternator light should be on if the alternator is not charging. It is always possible the dash light is not working.
Be careful towing without disconnecting the driveshafts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles