Mercedes Overland Building/Tuning

RoamIt

Our truck has the OM366LA tuned to 170hp.Plenty of torque but lacking hp. You will have to get your head around the fact that these are big slow beasts. The OM366LA can be brought up to 240hp with a larger turbo and greater fuel delivery at the expense of fuel economy. A 1224 (with an OM366LA)is already at its max hp. 240 hp will be plenty.

Thanks, I'm just use to bigger numbers :unsure: I've read about these trucks slowing to 28mph on a long hill, and that would drive me insane. Does NOS work on diesels? :ROFLMAO:

RoamIt

Oh yeah! Lots of companies will build you any wheel you want! :mad: And then tell you it is your fault "because you ran it flat." Note the ten, yes ten broken bolts. Talk to Fabian about wheels. Ten lug may be easier.

Believe me, this was not fun at 80 kph.

Holy Crap! I would need a change in underwear....

Who is Fabian?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
With the right wheels you can probably pull about 60 mph. Long grades and you will be on the flashers and down to 25 mph. Hopefully, the auto transmission may have a better match than the manual. And remember, mechanical diesels have no, rpt. no engine braking. You will learn to love your exhaust brake.

Do also remember that these beasts have drum air brakes - learn to use the exhaust brake in the mountains.

These things were built as urban delivery vehicles and it shows.

Fabian is the wheel vendor I linked above. He kits out MB trucks for Africa trips. Expedition Truck - Expedition Truck (expeditions-lkw.de) E-Mail: fabian@expeditions-lkw.de

RoamIt

Ok, got it on the wheels!

I've never had an exhaust brake, another thing for me to research!

I second, third and fourth the exhaust brake.
I agree that CTIS is only worth it if it’s through the axle/hub, i. e. factory. And one must have 20” wheels AND beadlocks. And if you have 20” wheels, you must carry a spare tire/ wheel + at least 1 unmounted spare, because of unavailability in certain countries. Which I do.
22.5” wheels and beads are dangerous/unreliable at low pressures.
So: trucks with forward control, factory CTIS, full diff locks, 20” single wheels, and very low gears are what one wants for easier self recovery and decent camper/wheelbase ratio; rare as the proverbial “hen’s teeth”.

RoamIt

OK, I can get around the CTIS, I will run air taps by each wheel or have a long air hose.

Back to an earlier question, did you guys do lift blocks or just bolted on the 22.5" wheels? Any clearance issues?

Joe917

Explorer
The truck in your image has 22.2" rims.
Clearances are no different between 20 and 22.5" rims, 20" have more rubber.
An air hose that reaches all 4 wheels and runs off the truck compressor is standard.

Joe917

Explorer
Learn how to drive a heavy truck if you buy it. You cannot just jump into it and drive it like a car or pick up. The exhaust brake is an essential tool, especially in the mountains. You cannot descend on the drum brakes alone, you will have a massive brake failure. Whatever gear you would use to climb a grade is the gear you have to descend in. Get some training.

RoamIt

OK, thanks, I thought that might be the case since it had 10 bolt pattern rather than 8. But I'm trying not to presume too much about a truck built/fitted to European spec's.

D

Deleted member 9101

So, I shouldn't go with twin variable vane turbos with meth injection? Your just sucking the fun right out of this...;)

You forgot the larger injectors, "tractor pull cam," and massive down pipe ;-)

Sitec

Adventurer
Hello. Be glad it has the straight 6 in it. The earlier OM421 V6 always sounded like someone shaking a tin can full of nuts! The later OM 441 was more refined, and capable of 340hp though. Post some pics, as we are all curious! Re your build, whatever time you think it will take, double it... Whatever cost you think it'll cost, double it! Post some pics of your proposed purchase! :)

RoamIt

Hello. Be glad it has the straight 6 in it. The earlier OM421 V6 always sounded like someone shaking a tin can full of nuts! The later OM 441 was more refined, and capable of 340hp though. Post some pics, as we are all curious! Re your build, whatever time you think it will take, double it... Whatever cost you think it'll cost, double it! Post some pics of your proposed purchase! :)

This is the one. Yes, it's the cost/amount of work that is daunting. Never taken on a project this big. I will be farming a lot of work out, I can't work on it full time.

Attachments

• 951224Truck.jpg
    951224Truck.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 20

Sitec

Adventurer
There was a fella on this forum who imported two and had one for sale in the US... Looked very similar to the one pictured. I think it was the thread 'Portland Adventures' or similar...

RoamIt

Where this is at right now is I'll have someone there in mid-October to take pic's/vid's for me and confirm the mechanicals/condition. If it's a go, then it would get to the US the end of October. Which means a lot is not going to happen over the winter to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94