mercedes ml???

hgonzale

And finally, two small overland with my car, but here with the pandemic, very restricted we are, and we couldn't test everything well yet.

1.- Almeria. Sep 2020.... I didn't have the fridge in that moment.

17.jpeg22.jpeg29.jpeg28.jpeg

Then, we discover some mistakes, like...

The net in the roof was so soft, then I made it stronger with wire covered but rubber. and second, not place for cooking/eating (I have two fires for cooking). Then, one of the table and maybe the next week, the second also, for sleeping, I installed Ikea removable table leg

Then...

2.- Overland, last week (3/13/21), better. near to el Chorro, Malaga and we tested the stability and weights and car control. We filled the fridge full of beers, 60 litters of water, 2 tires in the roof and we did a little 4x4.

DSCN8462.JPGDSCN8463.JPGDSCN8464.JPGDSCN8467.JPGDSCN8468.JPG

We used the shower also, we use one fire, our portable barbecue and we tested almost everything.

This is our project, with very low profile. Now, I didn't spend 1000 US$ but the most expensive is coming... The things I don't control.

And the most expensive now had been the fridge (250 US$) and the wood (140 US$)

Thank you for reading....

Lovetheworld

Nice!

For anyone interested when I checked these cars, I found out that the second generation ML was available with an "Offroad Pro" package which featured actual difflocks! Which makes it a true 4x4.

I think the first gen is nice because it is cheap to buy at the moment, and it will do nicely.
And I think with Mercedes some parts are interchangeable, but of course that requires lots of research.

hgonzale

Yes my friend, I know the second generation has the off road package, but the "ballons" for inflating and lifting the car are a nightmare now, with 15 years of "work", the rubber balloons if you used a lot.. are broken... with air leaking, and is expensive fixing it.

My ML is an American MB, and I received from a friend with only 50.000 miles one and have year ago. Is long history, but the miles are REAL jajajaja, I know him and he only lives in Spain 2 months every year, then, the car was used only 2 months/year.

And yes, some spare are interchangeable, but here in Europe, and more in Spain is very difficultto install something not "allowed" to your car.... the homologation process for the bumpers, snorkel, etc etc will be difficult, and I am going to lift a little bit the car, with the torsion bars in front and new shock abserver in the back....then, the eng needs to prove that the car is not loosing their original condition, is not a danger and many things...

For example, if I want to legalle exchange my tire size (different) I need to put a car in a braking test, check stability, braking and many thins... For that, my winter tires won't be "allowed" and I won't ever go to the inspection with the winters tires.... (not allowed size). In my cars papers from Spain Goverment I am able ONLY to use 275-55 R17.... nothing else

Then, I am going to buy maybe 245-65 R17 or something like that for winter...

Nice!

For anyone interested when I checked these cars, I found out that the second generation ML was available with an "Offroad Pro" package which featured actual difflocks! Which makes it a true 4x4.

I think the first gen is nice because it is cheap to buy at the moment, and it will do nicely.
And I think with Mercedes some parts are interchangeable, but of course that requires lots of research.

Lovetheworld

Wow ok that is difficult just like Germany.
Here in Netherlands it is pretty easy to modify cars, they don't care for different suspension and tyre size for example.
I was thinking more in the lines of adding a difflock from a different Mercedes, but I don't know if that is possible.

Torsion adjust is simple and you can dial it back if necessary for yearly check if necessary.

hgonzale

Yeah. I hate that, what I can't change it. I prefer the USA way....
And nice you can modify you car in NL.

Maybe you don't need to install another differential, just add a "locker" to your differential. Here in 4x4 "garage" they are able to do it.

Wow ok that is difficult just like Germany.
Here in Netherlands it is pretty easy to modify cars, they don't care for different suspension and tyre size for example.
I was thinking more in the lines of adding a difflock from a different Mercedes, but I don't know if that is possible.

Torsion adjust is simple and you can dial it back if necessary for yearly check if necessary.

hgonzale

Yeah. I hate that, what I can't change it. I prefer the USA way....
And nice you can modify you car in NL.

Maybe you don't need to install another differential, just add a "locker" to your differential. Here in 4x4 "garage" they are able to do it.
Or better, ARB has some dif with lockers and Detroit Shoft Locker.

Also.. our ML has an erlectronic "locking" systems and its works like a electronic dif locker. When a whell is spinning, the electronic starts and stop the wheel, and then the power is going to the another wheel. Is not a perfect locker, but it helps a lot

Trail Talk

My wife's '04 ML350 has been driven to Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Alaska. Here at Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean. Over 250k kms and still going strong!

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 11.22.42 AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz