Mercedes LAF 1113 B family truck

pairospam

Observer
Hi guys:

Just to add more information and a little confusion to this topic, I answer the question about what some of trucks that compete in the Dakar use.

The three point system in this truck has been custom made by the owners, and it endured three Dakar races and two more as backup truck in the same rally.

Whichever the solution, well designed and well done, is okay.

Greetings from San Felipe, the hottest spot in this part of the world.

Pairoa

4447_389_1.jpg

Olz6lf-S59uf4F7KS7QMy3_L9S1eLQE4x8KneD2EIPWO653-a_LTdkGCTCACsQSmoVita-RllenGFXjE4V1Lsu4Z9FRcfLltwc3QB5locaqfEFw8BlSIGAnmTQMS3ql8TzQXLQzAEggBOcJfvF4XPgSYi_6_LQB_EZpCBC6cvCiDsacGTkLtB6a2PhMv-uKbbusj2EHWjDWUfo_ZY07T_Gn2mijXofXrBWUCL2K_XC_AyXzg3vI6TgIVhlzTwaB11_bLDlIxnlV-U1_DvmkcT78hKENC5FDPrFqHcLfXZbjNEgXvdlXKp-aV0QpDEIFxFrFnQtEUuRXZ1EduOeAnRBwFXiE9AwYgbRrScENZAScK6lkpz2wpjfQFSN1R89L46PNXlr7LzXSVlU9bdXFjuA31NQx0oNRD3KSKnzKGwlbxzWr5250xi0whY5C9hl53zTKuE_DFsXnS6IKcJFjjrmbGhjcoS1-9JOd1gKfpzlHS31kfDAa7pSxUPWj3rRqMHhdLCQy3Lby680UpXD1qDLa8trMT8sU4ayY0gyc38elfhgOeULwUBzkzAIgxJ7iSIWaMXtrq_hjRSY313TcrBr2qtYC3XkUoz-XvoPSROxTP2QlE5ZyEUXcGsAyk3n5OQ-pb_Fwc28ocD9mawHLfu0qz3L9vH_3m=w980-h735-no

Larknest

Here is a picture of our Biermog before the Cayo Motovator Camper conversion.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_866.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_866.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 40

Christian

Adventurer
So I finally got the truck registered! That took forever and was ridiculously expensive!

I hope to start building soon, but an opportunity came up, so we bought new (old) house with a bit more land, and sold the house we built a few years ago.
That means my 200m2 shop will go in 1½ months... Ouch!
And we will have to build a new shop and a new house!!!

But the Mercedes is licensed and that makes it a bit more attractive to use and move forward on.

For now I'm trying to get my way in the subframe department; an integrated cab and box!

I am trying to design a flexible and stabilized 3 point torsion free subframe.
Up front I plan on using flexible cab mounts which will keep the cab in relative alignment with the chassis, so controls etc. are fine. Besides that they will control horisontal movement of the subframe, especially forward/reverse.

In the rear I have opted for a Watt's linkage instead of the conventional single point.
This will allow the same lateral movement between chassis and subframe as a conventional "see-saw", but allow for some horisontal movement too.
The reason for this is twofold: I want to eliminate chassis vibrations from entering the subframe and this point will NOT be carrying the rear load of the camper.

Load will be carried by two rolling lobe airbags positioned right behind the rear spring hangers, where a conventional subframe usually is hard mounted.
The airbags will take the full weight in the rear.
When on-road the airbags will be isolated to stabilize the camper in high winds and when cornering, to avoid pendulum effect.
Off-road the airbags will be connected by a large bore air connection (with a magnetic valve for on-road), which will allow the chassis to move freely under the subframe.
I should have 20 degrees of movement in chassis, before it collides with the subframe, and even if it comes to extremes over 20 degrees, the subframe should be able to move beyond that.
Bonus point is that the airbags will allow some levelling when camping.

Ok, please lay all your contructive critism on this!
Subframe v7.jpgSubframe v8.pngSubframe v9.png

Sitec

Adventurer
Interesting setup. Following with interest. Re your house and shed... Mine took double the time I thought it would! I was glad to get back into the shed when it was done!!

Christian

Adventurer
Interesting setup. Following with interest. Re your house and shed... Mine took double the time I thought it would! I was glad to get back into the shed when it was done!!
I believe it should work as intended, the only thing I can think of that might be a problem is hard cornering. It might lift too high for comfort on the inside corner.
But that can be mitigated by a limit strap.
Yes, I know, build projects takes longer and are harder than foreseen... And the Dilemma is that we want a new home before the kids grow up, the Merc done, before the kids grow up, AND everything on a budget.
I think I might be limited to picking two of the above...

Jostt

Adventurer
very nice the design of the torx chasi system, but quite expensive to build it, normal Umimogs carry bed has a simple diamond design , and it works very well, but this design is top

Christian

Adventurer
very nice the design of the torx chasi system, but quite expensive to build it, normal Umimogs carry bed has a simple diamond design , and it works very well, but this design is top
Thanks! I have been studying all the other designs I have found, but the 4-point diamond design would mean a lot of movement up front, compromise the the controls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles