Mercedes GLS with off road package question?

Mpl1978

Reports seem to suggest that it is capable off road and reliable. Curious if anyone has any experience with them. I need a full time full size SUV that can handle some off-road, not rock crawling, type of work. I plan on taking the family cross county with a small expedition trailer behind me. I certainly don't plan on major river crossings, but i do want to get off the beaten path. I have an '04 lx470 and a 2wd expedition. I plan on getting rid of both and having only one vehicle. Any thoughts on this as an option?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have a friend with one. Don’t think it has the offroad package. Nice car, but any kind of offroad driving that involves rocks, tree roots and uneven roads does not seem like a good idea. And I’m not talking “rock crawling”. This is what you’d find on a trail in Colorado ranked 2-3 (out of 10).

nickw

Adventurer
Reports seem to suggest that it is capable off road and reliable. Curious if anyone has any experience with them. I need a full time full size SUV that can handle some off-road, not rock crawling, type of work. I plan on taking the family cross county with a small expedition trailer behind me. I certainly don't plan on major river crossings, but i do want to get off the beaten path. I have an '04 lx470 and a 2wd expedition. I plan on getting rid of both and having only one vehicle. Any thoughts on this as an option?
I think it's cool, I wish they offered it on the cheaper SUV's. I just tried building one and you have to select the GLS 580 and comes in at just below 6 figures......before you add any other options....you can get a lot of car for that price, like a nice low mile G-Wagen if you wanna stick with Merc or could jump to a brand new LX/Landcruiser.

If you have the $$, by all means, it's a great road-trip rig and mild offroad. The tires/wheels will be a limiting factor but I'm sure there are some workarounds and it may fit 19's or 20's.

Mpl1978

The used market is much, much cheaper - it has been hard to find one with the off road package however. You are correct about the tires, i believe benz has very specific tires and all terrain might be tough to fit.

Mr. Merk

I got to experience the GLS450 with offroad pkg a couple years ago at the plant in Alabama. We did things in that GLS on Conti 4x4Contacts that we hadn't attempted in our Rubicon. I'd say they are more than capable.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
^^on a groomed trail. I’ve seen the marketing videos. Very impressive, but the light to moderate trails I’ve been on look nothing like those trails. Those BIG wheels and low profile tires won’t hold up well in rocks.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The AWD system is very capable the only thing most people do is get the 18inch wheel set and put decent tires on them that can be aired down.

All the big SUVs with the 20+ inch wheel sets and low profile tires sink like the Titanic when they hit soft muddy stuff. Those tires just don’t flex and flatten out with lower pressure ie giving you more surface area. Same issue on my new Expedition its on pavement only wheels 22’s?‍♂️

The new Mercs are much better than the older ones. My 2006 SLK 350 has been fun but only 21,000 miles. The speed sensor plate on the transmission gets replaced this week. Over time the plug wicks transmission fluid into the sensor board eventually only leaving 1st gear. $300 part and about hour labor. That 7spd transmission is in all their vehicles. When its happy its pretty solid. When its not happy it doesn’t give you confidence it will get you home. Lol. For a inherited fun car its been OK. A 6spd manual would have been better?

Last edited:

Mpl1978

confidence is certainly important, I have a '04 lx470 that i have had for a couple months, and I have all the confidence in the world when driving it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz