Mercedes diesel conversion

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I thought most transmissions for fuel injected engines were W series. Will W series fit with the adapter as well?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I had only driven one manual 240D and it was night and day over the automatic. Loved the automatics though. For an early automatic transmission to last in a heavy car for 300+K miles was pretty amazing.

What is also really amazing is the differenc e of the 240D (the 616 non turbo 4 cyl) versus the power of the 5 cyl and the turbo 5 cyl in particular as well...

So I'm still sort of confused on all of the trucks they came. I've got a pretty good jist I believe. Still if I was going thru all of that work to put it in an FJ 40/60 I'm not sure if I would go chevy or not. Like you said the t-case gearing options are good in the Toyota realm. I would also have to look about the t-case drops. Aren't most chevy's meant for a centered rear diff while the toyotas are offset?

The pickups also use a centered rear diff. The rear axle on these is pretty strong, especially the V6 diffs. I used one of these behind a 4BT with a NV4500, and the only weakness was actually the housing. I did some welding between new perches (you usually have to cut off the stock ones and weld on new ones anyway when switching vehicles, due to width changes) and added some 1/4" strap between the housing and the perches, and this worked wonders. But many people are using custom axle housings (that are also somewhat cheap) http://www.trail-gear.com/rock-assault-axle-housing and you can use Tacoma V6 diffs with locking differentials used for usually less than $400-500 max (I paid $275 for my last one).

So these are some of the options. The Toyota pickup platform is really pretty good and unique and lots and lots of options...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I thought most transmissions for fuel injected engines were W series. Will W series fit with the adapter as well?

You may be right about that... The key point is the bolt pattern is the 22R / 22RE / 22RET pattern. So that is what matters in terms of getting it to bolt up. On the adapter side, the flywheel (a 22RE flywheel) still comes from 4x4labs as it's re-drilled to the MB 617 pattern. And then a 22RE clutch.

lt1fire

Adventurer
What would be a serious consideration as to putting this thing in an 80 series.
I know everyone has seen the you tube clip with the one in it but the guy hasn't been very forthcoming with any other info or pictures/videos.

Currently my rig sits with 4.88 gears and 37" military michelins.

I know the thing is underpowered even more so than the 3FE in the rig now.
What are basic power upgrades for this thing that wouldn't hurt, reliability and gas mileage too much.

I'm thinking if I did a H41 swap into the cruiser with the lower gearing it would make it a whole lot better. Or if I upped my axle gears to 5.29s. But i'm leaning towards a manual swap.

What does everyone think on here? I would imagine the 80 series is comprable in weight to the old G-wagens that the 617 came in the mid 80's.

mr_manny

Did I bump into you the other week at Mark's Offroad? I was picking up a 4 speed, bellhousing, & clutch for my FJ60-OM617 conversion. What transmission setup are you using behind your MB engine?

Not I.
Haven't had an opportunity to make it to Marks shop...have given him a few carbs back in the day :)

sm465 to orion:

merc-02.jpg

thanks again Luke@4x4labs for making this possible :)

merc-03.jpg

addicted56

Adventurer
What would be a serious consideration as to putting this thing in an 80 series.
I know everyone has seen the you tube clip with the one in it but the guy hasn't been very forthcoming with any other info or pictures/videos.

Currently my rig sits with 4.88 gears and 37" military michelins.

I know the thing is underpowered even more so than the 3FE in the rig now.
What are basic power upgrades for this thing that wouldn't hurt, reliability and gas mileage too much.

I'm thinking if I did a H41 swap into the cruiser with the lower gearing it would make it a whole lot better. Or if I upped my axle gears to 5.29s. But i'm leaning towards a manual swap.

What does everyone think on here? I would imagine the 80 series is comprable in weight to the old G-wagens that the 617 came in the mid 80's.

You know, the more I think about it the more I think it would be a good swap for your vehicle. Knowing you if you put anything with more power in it you would start breaking stuff. You go this route and you will save yourself some money and heart break in the future. Sad thing is the 3FE is a million mile motor in its own right....at least in toyota speak...probably the best for reliability and longevity out there.

Just do it :coffeedrink:

lt1fire

Adventurer
You know, the more I think about it the more I think it would be a good swap for your vehicle. Knowing you if you put anything with more power in it you would start breaking stuff. You go this route and you will save yourself some money and heart break in the future. Sad thing is the 3FE is a million mile motor in its own right....at least in toyota speak...probably the best for reliability and longevity out there.

Just do it :coffeedrink:

Got any engines lying around :sombrero:

addicted56

Adventurer
I have a 1FZE...it is in your garage :ylsmoke:

But you can find these things everywhere. I know a few in my old stomping grounds back in Oregon and I had my eye on a few in NC (I'm pretty sure they are almost all still there) and I have a few put in the back of my mind I have seen sitting around these parts. You will have no problem finding one there local.

lt1fire

Adventurer
I have a 1FZE...it is in your garage :ylsmoke:

But you can find these things everywhere. I know a few in my old stomping grounds back in Oregon and I had my eye on a few in NC (I'm pretty sure they are almost all still there) and I have a few put in the back of my mind I have seen sitting around these parts. You will have no problem finding one there local.

I'm actually going to be picking up one for a DD once I fix and sell the ranger. i'll need your help finding a diesel wagon for cheap.

then after I learn the engine one might end up in the 80

davegonz

Explorer
I have one in my FJ55 project. It's running, but I'm still finishing up stuff. The key to using these engines is gearing. I'm going to run an H41 (H42 still in there) with the lower first gear and a split case with 4.10 gearing in the diffs. That being said, I think an 80 is way too heavy for this engine.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hamps-new-home.743928/

Here's the first time it was started after sitting for 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles