Mercedes-Benz G500 4×4²

LeTechUSABill

Observer
Whose portals are Mercedes using in the 4x4^2, LeTech's?
Where's the spare wheel/tire located?
The rear chrome twin-tube bumper on the black one sure is goofy looking.
Looks like they had the center and rear diff locks engaged most of the time.
Carbon roof?

FYI, Tibus(at least a few years ago) was using 290GDT brakes which they said were better than anything else they tried.
Good to see Movit's on the LeTech; a popular setup on Audi's and such in der Fatherland.

Yes it uses LeTech axles just like the 6x6.
My guess is there is no spare, probably a pump and fix a flat situation but I will confirm.
Rear bumper is just there for rear bumper height requirements, easily unbolts for off road use, same one that is on the production 6x6's. Plus side is it is not just chromed it is brushed stainless steel.
I will check on the carbon roof.

The Movit brakes are pretty incredible on this set up, very heavy as they are steel but super strong, no flex in these calipers!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Cool and interesting to see the axles are available here in the USA. I have always wondered about the bolt on portals, Marks 4wd makes some in Aus and there is some German company that makes them too.

I have got the real deal, no bolt ons and no ex-mog or Volvo portals, these were made by Portal Tek who are now defunct. Although you can still get them via Torq Axle as they bought the rights from Portal Tek. Great thing is these were built using USA domestic components so getting parts is not a big deal. Then only part custom is the portal bx and the gears in it. Everything else is off the shelf domestic parts. These use a Ford 9" diff, flipped upside down to give a high pinion, special oil slinger in there for this. Gear reduction is 2.0 in the portal box. SpiderTrax housing, RCV axles.

243118_1376156261885_6205443_o.jpg

243118_1376156421889_4770326_o.jpg

So I am curious about a few things on the Benz portals. How do they deal with the fluid getting hot in the portal box? Is there a breather? What reduction does the portal box have? No problems at hwy speeds I guess? <--- that kind of relates to the first question. Are they a two or three gear design? I see they are a closed knuckle design, that is cool. But are they using a stock sized CV? One thing some people don't realize about portals is they put a lot of strain on the suspension. In particular the links if the truck is not sitting on leaf springs. The leverage created by the portal is massive and it exerts a lot of forces on the links not normally experienced with a standard axle. So, did Benz do something about this and buff up the suspension at all?

Cheers

LeTechUSABill

Observer
So I am curious about a few things on the Benz portals. How do they deal with the fluid getting hot in the portal box? Is there a breather? What reduction does the portal box have? No problems at hwy speeds I guess? <--- that kind of relates to the first question. Are they a two or three gear design? I see they are a closed knuckle design, that is cool. But are they using a stock sized CV? One thing some people don't realize about portals is they put a lot of strain on the suspension. In particular the links if the truck is not sitting on leaf springs. The leverage created by the portal is massive and it exerts a lot of forces on the links not normally experienced with a standard axle. So, did Benz do something about this and buff up the suspension at all?

Fluid temp in our Portals is no problem at all, just ran mine for several hours strait on the highway at 80+ mph and they were just warm to the touch, didn't have a way to measure the actual temp so I had to do the touch test.

There are breathers for all the Portals, they tie into the breather lines for the axles so water submersion is no problem.

Honestly don't know what the exact ratio is, but the three gears are the exact ratio to compensate for the 37" tire, all systems work as normal and highway speeds are no problem at all.

Closed knuckle system does use a stock sized CV, no issues with reliability at all.

The leverage you are referring to I assume is the axle "roll out" that is created by the Portals. This is not an issue with the G Wagons because of the standard design of the two bolt mounting of the trailing arms to the axles. It controls the roll out completely.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Yes it uses LeTech axles just like the 6x6.
My guess is there is no spare, probably a pump and fix a flat situation but I will confirm.

What about the suspension you are using? Is it a dual system like the 4x4^2 ? The MB spring and damper kit looks pretty trick.

LeTechUSABill

Observer
What about the suspension you are using? Is it a dual system like the 4x4^2 ? The MB spring and damper kit looks pretty trick.

Currently the suspension is stock, we do have a really nice Öhlins shock package as an option, they work really nice. I will learn more about the dual shock set up on the 4x4² in June. Will find out if it is possible to convert that system or not, I am sure we can do something but it will certainly be pricy.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks for answering my questions. Breathers are good on the portal box, I need them on my portals. Drilling and tapping should take care of it.

Cheers

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
OMG I saw one today at the local Benz dealer. That thing is HUGE. Pricetag was somewhere around CAD$350.000!!

On my Unimog camper the rear portals run only 20-22C above ambient at a steady 92kph, fronts even cooler. Even though the tires themselves run up to 45C above ambient. I always use the exhaust brake for braking. The diffs on the other hand run about 65C above ambient. I now have a digital temp monitor on portal, diffs, transmission and transfer, and engine oil temp (Atlas 4x4 product).
I'd love a G300D 4x4^2 - that means with a diesel!

Charlie

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles