Mercedes 811D 1990 - Need some inspiration

stewarttownsend

Hi

Im new to the forum and have a Mercedes 811D that was used for transporting dirt bikes and sleeping in, it has a sliding door that doesn't work and a roller shutter at the rear with a new shower, toilet, gas central heating, waste tank and pumps all in place so I don't want to change some of the layout but need some ideas on what works and doesn't.

Sliding Door

I cant find any information as to how this should work, Ive took the front panel off and mechanism to see how this should click and push but cant see anything that I can manually pull or push to make it open, the other aspect is if I can get it open there is an outside light that it will hit and hence I think the previous owner disabled it from opening.

Any help on this would be appreciated Ive toyed with the idea of keeping it fixed and removing the passenger seat and that door being the entry into the cab and pushing the passenger seat backwards and creating an area for dining but I like the idea of the sliding door being open whilst cooking and being able to step out and use the outside space to eat as I have large awning fitted on that side.

Roller shutter Door

So this is fitted in a frame, works and is great but I want to create a lounge/bed area at the rear so I can basically have a pull out bed that creates a full size bed at night time but would fit a false wall at the rear and keep some of the space at the back where the sliding door comes up to keep cables, outside tables but also that is where the LPG gas bottle is and the fresh water at present.

My other idea would be to have a rear door that goes out that way and hence keep the sliding door fixed.

Insulation and Boarding.

Best place to get thoughts on what to board it out with and insulation etc appreciated.

Layout

Any pointers to Vario layouts Ive done some research and digging around but seem to find the same posts, wondered if there is a great site/FB page that shows lots of Varios internally and how to maximise the space. I don't want to move the kitchen/toilet etc as all fixed, working and don't want to spoil it.

I want to create a look like this internally and externally - https://lambykinsracing.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/1990-mercedes-vario-814d-overland/

Any tips, pointers appreciated as Im planning out the jobs to be done and get started this month on ripping it out, below is interior shot setup as coffin bed and has kitchen and toilet on the left with sliding door opposite.

interior campervan.jpgslidedoor.jpg

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Yup, for sure get a copy of that book. ,The catch to open the door is on the aft side of it, and is (in original function) pulled forward towards the front of the van to activate/open it. There are rods which connect the handle to the catch for this function normally. Complete set (lock/catch, rods and handle) is available from MB for ~£300

Joe917

Explorer
I would definitely seal the rear living quarters and not have access out the back. Rear penetrations are huge dust suckers.
You could look at Mobile.de for ideas, hundreds of MB campers for sale

docka

Adventurer
I have some sliding door parts available to sell (2nd hand but functioning) if you need them.

stewarttownsend

I have some sliding door parts available to sell (2nd hand but functioning) if you need them.

Hi Docka

Do you want to me message me stewartntownsend at gmail and can chat. I think my lock is broken on the left hand side, I don't have any rods/wires or mechanisms at all :)

stewarttownsend

Ive got a rolling door at the moment, chap been to look at welding and said to take the rolling door out and put in new doors that are locked but have windows. Im trying to now source some doors which Im not sure where to start. Ive ripped out the rear of the van now and have got to rip out the existing insulation, Im going to fit under the chassis water tanks and potentially open to the idea of running a LPG tank underneath to also do the cooking and heating. Ill take a look at the book, thats great.

Wazak

Stewart I if you can get the side door to function I would definitely consider fitting a false bulkhead in the rear of the van for storage and extra insulation. As for the roller door suppose there's pro's and cons as opposed to the big rear opening doors. I wouldn't fit the freshwater tank underneath the van, definitely fit an underfloor gas tank it works out more cost effective we have a 30ltr tank fitted at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz