Mercedes 2021 Weekender

shade

I'm guessing you already saw this:

And the link within: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/re...ils-its-first-pop-up-camper-for-the-us-market

Several links to contributing companies at the bottom of that MB page.

I think a Weekender could be excellent for those that travel light. I like to get farther down trails than I'd want to take one, so I'd tow an ATV or carry a bike or two on a rear rack and save the van from a beating. I hope they sell well so I can consider a used one eventually.

SquirrelZ

The Metris has been in North America since 2016. Its been in Europe a whole lot longer, with recent versions marketed as the Vito, Viano, V Class and the Marco Polo, which is the much more upscale camper that what you see offered on this side of the Atlantic. In Europe you can get a diesel engine and 4WD. Here in North America the Metris is just offered with a gasoline engine (M274) and rear wheel drive. There is now a longer wheel base option also.

I currently own a Metris that is converted to a camper. It fits in a standard garage and is a great vehicle to drive. But, its made by Mercedes so the parts are expensive and frequently hard to get.

Like every thing in life, there are trade off. It has a long wheel base and is quite low. A 2" lift kit will help a bit, but you won't be doing any type of off roading like the bs picture in the article. There are not a large number of Metris dealers around so getting warranty work, or even routine work is a problem. Like the Sprinter, they are sold as commercial vehicles so if you think you'll get assistance from an MB auto dealership you'll more likely than not be sent on your way just like any Yugo owner that hoped for assistance.

Did I mention that parts are expensive and frequently hard to get? Which is why I will soon be selling my Metris.

SquirrelZ

Are you replacing your Metris? Yes, shopping for a Toyota Tacoma and planning to build a foam and fiberglass camper.

Johnbonn

The Metris has been in North America since 2016. Its been in Europe a whole lot longer, with recent versions marketed as the Vito, Viano, V Class and the Marco Polo, which is the much more upscale camper that what you see offered on this side of the Atlantic. In Europe you can get a diesel engine and 4WD. Here in North America the Metris is just offered with a gasoline engine (M274) and rear wheel drive. There is now a longer wheel base option also.

I currently own a Metris that is converted to a camper. It fits in a standard garage and is a great vehicle to drive. But, its made by Mercedes so the parts are expensive and frequently hard to get.

Like every thing in life, there are trade off. It has a long wheel base and is quite low. A 2" lift kit will help a bit, but you won't be doing any type of off roading like the bs picture in the article. There are not a large number of Metris dealers around so getting warranty work, or even routine work is a problem. Like the Sprinter, they are sold as commercial vehicles so if you think you'll get assistance from an MB auto dealership you'll more likely than not be sent on your way just like any Yugo owner that hoped for assistance.

Did I mention that parts are expensive and frequently hard to get? Which is why I will soon be selling my Metris.

We are an interested buyer. Any pictures? Further details?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles