Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
So things have been busy this end. The truck went off to have it's invertor, lithium batteries and 240v stuff fitted... something I could probably work out, but to be honest it's easier paying someone who plays with AC stuff daily to do it. Here's what the inside of our RH locker now looks like.

Electrics board front.jpg

With the truck back, I could get into building the raised seating area. This will have storage underneath as well as under the seats.

Final leg 59.jpg

With the raised platform built, I could start work on the seating and wall cladding...

Final leg 60.jpg

We have a long weekend coming up, so hopefully I'll get 3 clear days at it!

Sitec

Adventurer
I've been a bit distracted these last few weeks, as the realisation that we have both resigned from good jobs, and actually leave our home for over 6 months (in less than 4 weeks) sets in! But, whilst being distracted, I have been busy! Chappy our truck is now registered and on the road! A lot of wiring has been loosly run into place and I'm on a mission to have it usable in the next few weeks!

Wiring.jpg

The step well is all but finished, and just needs a final seal once the big clean out happens!

Step well.jpg

And lastly I've folded up a temporary display panel above the door for the Victron control panels. These will end up here built into an overhead cupboard that will be built when the kitchen units are built early next year when we return. It can be seen just above the entrance door. I have also managed to get the bulk of the plumbing done, and am almot at the point where I can put some water in a tank and try it all out for leaks!! Watch this space!!

Belts.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Continuing progress this end. Last week was spent trimming and fitting hinges to the clothes locker lids and battery compartment. Time consuming but needed...

Rear 1.jpg

On Sunday I cut and positioned the floor planks (3mm industrial floor sheets 1200 x 180mm). Last night (with the help of a neighbour who knows what he's doing with flooring) we glued them down. Took just under an hour. We had 1 hour before the glue set.

Rear 2.jpg

Having seen how much difference just the floor makes to the feel of the interior, I'm very tempted to try and get the rest of the floor done before we go away in 3 weeks!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
floor done before we go away in 3 weeks!

We are in the middle of a build right now, actually coming up on 6 months next week. The grind of endless little (but necessary) tasks can be tough. Any little victories that make it feel more complete are a welcome diversion. Even if they aren't really necessary for actual usage. Really helps keep you motived I think.

ITTOG

It has been a while since you have updated your build. Hopefully you are out exploring all this time. I hope all is going well.

Wyuna

Observer
It has been a while since you have updated your build. Hopefully you are out exploring all this time. I hope all is going well.

Yeah, It does seem a little odd that Simon hasn't posted for a long time, I hope he is all good, for those who have his contact details, is he ok?

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi guys! Thanks for the concern. Yup we are both well. We have not long got home from 7 months away up in Broome where we've been driving tour trucks carting passengers around the magnificent Kimberley region. We've covered 11000+kms in our truck, and over 20000kms in Isuzu FTS 800's and Mercedes Axor's and Actros's. Apart from a leaking fuel return line and a water pipe leak (where I may or may not have forgotten to even fit a hose clamp to it), our truck has been faultless! Once our feet touch the ground I'll get pics and more of a story organised. For now we are running around finishing more of the truck and getting ready to rent the house out, as we are off up to the Kimberley again (via the Tanami Road) for another season with APT!

Chappy and Hills.jpg

This was a few weeks ago on our way down to Perth, before heading back across to Adelaide. :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Right, time for a decent update. Last Christmas we were offered and accepted jobs in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, driving tour trucks carrying passengers around on a 16 day loop trip. This meant we'd get to places like Kununurra, Mitchell Falls, Manning Gorge, Broome etc. It was also the push we needed to change direction in our lives and get of the hamster wheel of daily life. After a big push to get our truck liveable and on the road, and organising stuff at home we hit the road bound for Perth, where we'd meet our new employer, and collect his trucks and then head for Broome. Here's our second lap of the Kimberley. We are using an Isuzu FTS 800. Although it has to be one of the most uncomfortable and over spring trucks I've ever driven, I have to say they cop some serious abuse on the very corrugated roads of the bush, and stick together surprisingly well.

KST group.jpg

We were treated to the most amazing sky's I've ever seen. Sunset after sunset.

Dale Farm Sunset.jpg

Here's the Ivanhoe Crossing which is just north of Kununurra. It's known for Salt Water Crocodiles.

Ivanhoe Crossing SM.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
As the season went on we got more into the swing of things. Knowing the route, knowing the details of each place and setups made the trips flow. Here's the east end of the Gibb River Road, which runs from just outside Kununurra across to Derby.

Gibb Start SM.jpg

Along the Gibb we'd see all sorts of random stuff. The heat towards the end of the season was too much for this Road Train....

Bugger.jpg

Here's the sunrise at Windjana Gorge. We both got up early for this and it more than rewarded us for our efforts!

Windjana SM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles