Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
The roof rack looks fantastic, surprised that you covered your escape hatch and that the storage box latches are on the inside. Looks nice nevertheless.

Hi fella. So, the hatch in the Merc's doesn't fully open. It'd involve unbolting it to get out... It's purely a vent aid. Add to that, with the access to the body cut, I now have 3 decent openings should I accidentally plant the truck on it's side... Re the roof boxes, the sides of the roof basket taper in, and apart from the singe access ladder on the left side, there's nowhere to safely stand on the outside of the truck to access the latches or load the boxes. With them opening inwards, we can climb the ladder, stand in the center of the roof rack and safely access both boxes.

Hope to sit it back on at the weekend and see that it looks 'right'. :)

Joe917

Explorer
IMG_20200610_142914.jpg
A good set of horns gets attention when you need it! You have to be real gentle to make a small non offensive toot, or you can use an electric incognito horn with a dash switch between the two.
IMG_20200610_204714.jpgIMG_20200610_142914.jpgIMG_20200610_204714.jpg

Its pretty funny seeing little kids making the "toot the horn" gesture as you go by. We toot at freight trains, they usually toot back.

Sitec

Adventurer
A good set of horns gets attention when you need it! You have to be real gentle to make a small non offensive toot, or you can use an electric incognito horn with a dash switch between the two.

Its pretty funny seeing little kids making the "toot the horn" gesture as you go by. We toot at freight trains, they usually toot back.

I have a switch like that in the cab of my donor truck, and had planned to use it. I'd like to have set it up with the train horns, but it'd have to be a huge electric valve to operate them... Unless I can find one, I plan to have a 1/2" gate valve in the ceiling of the cab that's a little hidden as they are seriously loud, and I'm going to have to be very careful where I use them. :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Another dodgy lift with the tractor saw the completed roof rack back atop the cab. I'm pleased with the result. Once it's painted, It should tie in with the body quite well.

Cab Mods 33.jpg

Cab Mods 34.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
A little more progress today. Removed both upright panels and fabricated/fitted the covers. The left one is easily removed to access the hidden ladder. It's been wet and windy all day here, so there wasn't much motivation to do anything!

Cab Mods 36.jpg

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Nah, I just keep kiving Jon stick that he needs to come over and do my interior for me! ;)
At the rate you are getting your truck done you will have it finished before the borders re-open! Would love to visit but with the truck, now that would be fun.

Been a bit quiet on the board and social media as we needed to fly back to where I grew up for some family stuff. We are a couple of days from flying back to our home/truck (currently being looked after by good friends in Idaho). We both can't wait to get back and continue on as much as we can. With all that is going on, I'll admit that flying was not our first choice but some things needed to get done.

Sitec

Adventurer
At the rate you are getting your truck done you will have it finished before the borders re-open! Would love to visit but with the truck, now that would be fun.

Been a bit quiet on the board and social media as we needed to fly back to where I grew up for some family stuff. We are a couple of days from flying back to our home/truck (currently being looked after by good friends in Idaho). We both can't wait to get back and continue on as much as we can. With all that is going on, I'll admit that flying was not our first choice but some things needed to get done.

It still seems to be taking an age though! I'll be very impressed when you txt me to say you are inbound with the truck! You should aim to get here mid 2022... have a year in Oz, and then ship out to Africa with us!

That spot you flew into with the small planes looked fantastic!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles