Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

sAsLEX

Truck is really starting to look good!

With the first pieces of the basket ends bolted securely, I could clamp the uprights in place, and then transpose the roof shape onto the rear uprights of the basket sides... Have you ever tried to keep square and weld a round item!? Not easy!! Ignore the incorrect treatment of my square.. Needs must! ;)

Fireball tools - now I am a very amateur welder but I find them fantastic, the tabs allow you to hold tube stock square in a couple of axis! Spendy especially with shipping down in our hemisphere, but starting out teaching myself TIG welding is so much easier when I don't need to worry about holding the stock near as much as when I first started with just a table and some clamps.

He has some great videos on youtube as well.

Sitec

Adventurer
Truck is really starting to look good!

Fireball tools - now I am a very amateur welder but I find them fantastic, the tabs allow you to hold tube stock square in a couple of axis! Spendy especially with shipping down in our hemisphere, but starting out teaching myself TIG welding is so much easier when I don't need to worry about holding the stock near as much as when I first started with just a table and some clamps.

He has some great videos on youtube as well.

Cheers! There's some handy kit there!

joeblack5

Looks great, is that only to protect the snorkel? The cab can tilt in between? Are you planning on removable ties between the driver and passenger side or is it going to be tied to the cab?

Sitec

Adventurer
Looks great, is that only to protect the snorkel? The cab can tilt in between? Are you planning on removable ties between the driver and passenger side or is it going to be tied to the cab?
Nah, it'll be a full roof rack, with 4 spot lights, and a large (K5LA) horn hidden in the middle. It's all going to be tied to the cab with a 30/40mm gap for sideways movement. I'm using the body to build of so it matches, then the cab can be adjusted to sit where it needs to. :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Another weekend in the workshop and the roof bars are taking shape. With both sides in place, I'm happy with the scale. I have 4 x 7" spot lights coming, so I can build them and the horns into the rack. I've also started fabricating the 6 mounts that will fit into the gutters and support the rack.

Cab Mods 13.jpg

Cab Mods 14.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
it looks very good, I like the trumpets you have on the table....are you planing to install it?

Sitec

Adventurer
Talking of said horns the time has come to make the rail that will carry the horns and form part of the roof rack.... This rail is 40" long and 4" wide. First pic is of the rail, and the second pic is of the horns on the rail. That's a 12" set square in the pic for scale. Those in the US will be familiar with these horns as they are on every Amtrak train! Awesome sound!! I bought my set when I was working in the Pilbara Western Australia and often heard the Ore Trains with these horns on them. Had to have a set!

Cab Mods 15.jpg

Cab Mods 16.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
So after a slow start, I got back to it. Slowly piecing together the roof rack base atop the cab. Unlike the body where everything is square and symmetrical, the cab has slopes, tapers and nowhere really firm to stand on the roof. With step ladders and wooden props we got there though. Here's the base tacked together, and the sun visor cut to suit it... Not a brilliant pic, as the roof of the shed got in the way!

Cab Mods 17.jpg

Next up was the rear bar at the back of the roof basket. This has to follow the roof line so when viewed from the front of the vehicle it does not look out of place.

Cab Mods 18.jpg

Wyuna

Observer
looking good, love the little tractor, is it a CASE, or a Shibaura?

We had a little Ford "Shibarura" rebranded Tractor, really handy around the yard, i see yours makes a good welding trolley:)

Sitec

Adventurer
looking good, love the little tractor, is it a CASE, or a Shibaura?

We had a little Ford "Shibarura" rebranded Tractor, really handy around the yard, i see yours makes a good welding trolley:)

Hi fella. He's a 'Case 234' which is a Mitsubishi underneath. He came to me with huge hours for a small tractor (5500). I gave him a huge service, a paint job, and made a self level loader for him as there wasn't one available that was compact enough to suit this tractor. He's been a valuable member of the family since! Here's 'Max Factor the tractor' (don't ask) starting the footings on the house.

Max 1.jpg

And when I built the loader 10+ years ago.

Max 2.jpg

ITTOG

So after a slow start, I got back to it. Slowly piecing together the roof rack base atop the cab. Unlike the body where everything is square and symmetrical, the cab has slopes, tapers and nowhere really firm to stand on the roof. With step ladders and wooden props we got there though. Here's the base tacked together, and the sun visor cut to suit it... Not a brilliant pic, as the roof of the shed got in the way!

View attachment 587549

Next up was the rear bar at the back of the roof basket. This has to follow the roof line so when viewed from the front of the vehicle it does not look out of place.

View attachment 587550
Is the rack going to be as high as the box. In the cab 18 pick it looks like it is due to that top bar.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles