Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
Right... I've changed ends, and am now looking to the cab and how to make a roof rack sit on top and merge in with the body without looking like I've bunged a Laundry Basket style Roof rack on top!! I've stripped the beacon bar and top (battered) air intake box off the cab so it's suddenly a little bare! I've also ripped the hideous aftermarket Air Con Unit out that was bolted to the inside back face of the cab, as it didn't work and was in the way of the crawl thru location. The first pic is as it sits now (the cab came up 15mm!). The second pic is the closest pic I can find of the style I'd like to achieve... However, to do this neatly, the raised air intake needs to go. Thoughts people... Are the raised air intakes beneficial or just a 'nice to have'? My view is that a Merc Air intake (just behind the front grill) is already high, and if you are on a dirt road it's still well out of the dust being produced.... Sooo..... Does it stay or does it go!??

Bare cab.jpg

Roof Rack idea 1.jpg

nathane

Didn't you get the truck from a mine operator (or maybe that was the box - I'm too lazy to look back 18 pages!)? I suspect if so, those folks don't add bling to kit just to look good like most of us ?. If they fit a snorkel, it's probably because it's a good idea. If you compare the terrain you want to cover to the stuff they were using it on it might give you an answer.

sAsLEX

I think you could incorporate the snorkel and the frame, if the frame on the other side keeps that same curve it would look quite good.

But your also in Australia what about something like this
68374853_658221707987711_1860204130362982400_o.jpg

Santa

I’d keep it and use the vertical bars to protect it from tree branches. The snorkel is good for dust as well as water, think Gibb River Rd etc. if you could find a matching snorkel for the other side it would be good to incorporate it into the rack at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madoxen

The Atego's have the air intake just behind the front grill but I know that the one i looked at I wanted to to lift it to keep it in cleaner cooler air and out of waters way. Itwould most likely be fine with out it but if it were me I would be reluctant to loose it.

Spanna 53

Alright fellows what about using the second snorkel for the cabin fresh air intake did the North/West corner a couple of years ago up the Oodnadatta,Tanimi ,Gibb River ,Karijini plenty of dirt roads and very little dust in the camper ran the air through a Toyota Hiace air cleaner and a boat bilge blower switched on the dash just another wire in the camper harness my fresh air intake is between the cab and camper on my Isuzu next to the engine air intake snorkel and how good would it be to incorporate the snorkel into the roof rack

ITTOG

Just finished reading through 20 pages. Wow, what a build. I wish I had your skills and tools available. Great work and thanks for sharing with us.

Sitec

Adventurer
Alright fellows what about using the second snorkel for the cabin fresh air intake did the North/West corner a couple of years ago up the Oodnadatta,Tanimi ,Gibb River ,Karijini plenty of dirt roads and very little dust in the camper ran the air through a Toyota Hiace air cleaner and a boat bilge blower switched on the dash just another wire in the camper harness my fresh air intake is between the cab and camper on my Isuzu next to the engine air intake snorkel and how good would it be to incorporate the snorkel into the roof rack

Hi Spanna 53.

This was talked about at some point... The twin snorkel look on a truck would be good! I think I had a chat with Neil. Trying to find the genuine RH upright air intake is the hard bit! If anyone has one, I'm interested! :)

Sitec

Adventurer
I’d keep it and use the vertical bars to protect it from tree branches. The snorkel is good for dust as well as water, think Gibb River Rd etc. if you could find a matching snorkel for the other side it would be good to incorporate it into the rack at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like the front bars, but the original raised air intake on the truck sits flush (if not slightly forward) of the front bumper face... If I ran the bars, they'd be in front of everything else. I've settled on something like this... Just got to make it now! :)

Roof 3.jpg

sAsLEX

Looks good!

Could you use some RHS for an uptake each side like you did with the modified exhaust? That way they could sit closer to the cab and act in a dual role as protection and intake ? (Pipe would be easier and could be curved )

Sitec

Adventurer
Today has been a day for pondering... How to build the roof rack, where the cab will sit with it all fitted, where to place the crawl thru, how to do the crawl thru etc etc... The more I add to the cab the more it'll sit back. It came up around 15mm just by removing the center seat and old AC unit. With this in mind, I have removed the rear cab support spring/shock absorber assemblies for the time being. I've lowered the rear of the cab to where I think it needs to be (parallel with the front of the body), and put two temporary supports in place. With the cab where it's going to end up, I worked out the size of the crawl thru frame for the cab and fabricated it.

Cab Mods 1.jpg

Cab Mods 2.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
With the frame made I was able to mark the back of the cab to suit... and then cut it out! Plans have changed since I originally positioned the crawl thru frame in the body, so that'll have to be moved but you get the idea...

Cab Mods 3.jpg

Having the hole offset to suit the seating in the habitation area was a good idea, but it made it too close to the drivers seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles