Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
As was removing the front cross member from the donor truck. It was bolted in. 10 min with a rattle gun had it out! This had to be swapped as the jaw would be in the wrong place to suit the bumper if I tried to use the original. When the cab was in the lower position, the bumper off the donor truck fitted, but I had the center section on upside down. Now the cab is higher, this wouldn't work.

Chassis Mods 39.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
However... getting the front cross member out of our truck has been a little more fun. For some daft reason I thought that if I ground the top off the rivets they'd just 'tap' out.... Heads up, they don't. I've had to drill all of them out! The replacement had better fit! One thing I know.. These things are well put together! :)

Chassis Mods 38.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
With the cab lifted (more on that later) it was back to the back, and on with the mast build. While I was playing with the cab I had 4 roller pins spun up to suit the rollers I had on order from TVH the forklift mob (ex Belgium). I welded the pins into the pre drilled holes on the rear plates, and then fitted the rollers (which arrived within 3 days).

Chassis Mods 40.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Here's a pic of the upright 4" x 2" C sections clamped in place. Gives you an idea how it'll all work.

Chassis Mods 41.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Lastly for this weekend, here's an overall progress pic of the truck (something we all forget to do in our threads). The cab now sits 75mm higher thanks to all the factory parts from the donor prime mover. The wheel arches are un damaged unlike the originals. Once lifted, I had to adjust/lengthen the gear linkage a little as the lift changed the lever position. Apart from the hard job of drilling the original front cross member out, everything was interchangable. I think it looks better for it too. Cheers for now.

Progress 1.jpg

Spanna 53

All looking good we have only used our Honda EU2 gene probably 6 hours in 4 years yes two water systems is a necessity one exclusive drinking water tank gives about 5 weeks drinking plus grog and iced coffee as much going on under the body gotta make the most of every bit of space plenty of time on our hands at the moment for projects and good to see you make the most of it so keep up the good work

Madoxen

Hi Sitec, was after more info on what and how you plan to make/design your wheel lift :) , the cab lift I understand but the wheel lift is an area I have had 1001 Ideas on but have not managed to let one take me forwards in the design of it at least.

Am making some head way with my build and will have to start logging it on here just did not think I was going to achieve enough quick enough to keep any one interested :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Sitec, was after more info on what and how you plan to make/design your wheel lift :) , the cab lift I understand but the wheel lift is an area I have had 1001 Ideas on but have not managed to let one take me forwards in the design of it at least.

Am making some head way with my build and will have to start logging it on here just did not think I was going to achieve enough quick enough to keep any one interested :)

Hello again. No worries. The rear lift is the current task, so I should have something workable over the next few weeks. I'll post more as I get there. Re posting, mine took several years to get going but it did eventually. People still looked in and I kept adding ideas and drawings etc. If a build takes 5+ years, it doesn't matter. I'd post away if I were you! :)

Madoxen

yes you are right on the posting :) I cant seem to find enough build logs and videos to keep my over active brain happy atm so I should contribute to other peoples Happiness or mental well being ;-)

Sitec

Adventurer
Now I have a rear Mast, and a pair of locking pins in place, it's time to start the rear bumper manufacture. It needs to look like its suppose to be there, serve a purpose yet manage to finish the rear end off, without looking like the back of a Caravan... I want more than just a pair of tail lights hung off the body and an under run bar. I wanted to utilise the round Hella tail lights that came with the body, so I sketched up a scale pic of one side. Once I could see it I'm happy it'll look ok. Here's the cardboard plan of the rear left side... Now to make the backplate in 2mm steel!

Chassis Mods 42.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
very nice, do you have a cuting machine at home?? this would be nice for me even a simple plasma machine.,..I think is the next

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles