Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
Something like these off a logging truck maybe

View attachment 571611

Yup, that'd be along the right lines... Just have to see what air rams are capable of lifting, and how controlled they are......

10 min later... They're not that capable... An air ram with a 50mm bore will lift 140kg +/- at 100 PSI (approx truck air pressure), whereas a hydraulic cylinder with a 50mm bore will lift 4200kg +/- at 3000 PSI... I'd need two large bore hydraulic cylinders to lift two spare wheels and the platform its all sat on with 100 PSI air pressure, whereas I'll need 1 x 50mm cylinder to lift the same and some! Decision made.

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
More antics here today. I've walked around the donor truck for too long now, so having got the engine out a few weeks ago, it was time to remove the other part of value to me.. The cab. We were passing work this morning, so Wifetec and I removed the cab. It's now sat on a steel skid that a Kubota Sidekick RTV came on. This will make it easier getting it off the trailer once home!

Donor Merc cab off.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi all. So, I've had a truck filled few days! We have had 4 overland trucks in our yard (including ours ;) ). Heres a pic taken from my workshop. The brown one is 'Babo' from the UK, which is a 4x4 Mercedes 1120AF (ex Swiss fire truck), and the silver one is 'Pepita' which is a Bucher Duro 6x6. We have had a weekend of chat, story swapping, maintenance and build/layout discussions. Changing the inboard disk brakes on the middle axle of the Duro was an interesting job! It has centrally mounted high speed diffs mounted to the chassis with CV jointed shafts that run backwards down to each portal hub. The hubs are carried on a coil sprung A frame system mounted to the chassis.

Visitors 1.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Yesterday Spudboy (Dave) also called in in his MAN truck which has Central tyre pressure/deflation system, and is a crew cab. David bought the truck locally and then had the basic body built in Adelaide. He then carried out his own fit out. An Aussie BBQ was enjoyed by all yesterday, and lots of notes swapped!!

Visitors 2.jpg

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Glad to see David & his wife are still getting out in the truck. Its been a while since we have talked. Thanks for sharing the pics of the meet up "event".

Sitec

Adventurer
Glad to see David & his wife are still getting out in the truck. Its been a while since we have talked. Thanks for sharing the pics of the meet up "event".

It is. I hadn't seen him for about a year so thought I'd throw the invite out. He had a trip planned overseas, but that got the pin pulled for obvoius reasons, so the truck is back in action. Where are you based?

Sitec

Adventurer
So, the good thing about having overlanders staying is you delve into what works and what does not. My idea of having the hydraulic lift on the back is over kill. The small electric winch on Babo had filled with water and muck and killed the control relay, so we used my tractor to lift the spares down for a wheel swap. Parts are on order. However, Jurg has a simple system on Pepita. A small chain pully block thats not much larger than my hand! It lives in a canvas bag in a dry clean locker and is deployed when needed. This is what I will use to lift and lower my wheels and rear bumper! My mast can be lighter, and I just have to add a hook point to the step in the body under the beds.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
So, the good thing about having overlanders staying is you delve into what works and what does not. My idea of having the hydraulic lift on the back is over kill. The small electric winch on Babo had filled with water and muck and killed the control relay, so we used my tractor to lift the spares down for a wheel swap. Parts are on order. However, Jurg has a simple system on Pepita. A small chain pully block thats not much larger than my hand! It lives in a canvas bag in a dry clean locker and is deployed when needed. This is what I will use to lift and lower my wheels and rear bumper! My mast can be lighter, and I just have to add a hook point to the step in the body under the beds.
We would be interested in the details on the pulley block. We use a small electric winch (we might want to upsize), and carry a spare but the info would be good. One thing though I like about the winch is it is a one person job due to the clutch in the winch. Stand back with the remote until the platform is all the way up and then pin it in place. Although we have a single turning block, doubling the power of the lift I would now do at least a 3-1 with 2 right/left attachment points to even the force on the platform as it lifts. I will likely make this change when we get a bit more welding done after we have a bit of fun. Also plan on making a hinged ramp for the motorbike which will stay in place, so no need to store the small ramp in the storage area.

shade

We would be interested in the details on the pulley block. We use a small electric winch (we might want to upsize), and carry a spare but the info would be good. One thing though I like about the winch is it is a one person job due to the clutch in the winch. Stand back with the remote until the platform is all the way up and then pin it in place. Although we have a single turning block, doubling the power of the lift I would now do at least a 3-1 with 2 right/left attachment points to even the force on the platform as it lifts. I will likely make this change when we get a bit more welding done after we have a bit of fun. Also plan on making a hinged ramp for the motorbike which will stay in place, so no need to store the small ramp in the storage area.
Sounds like a chain fall or hoist, which is a surprisingly powerful & affordable solution.

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi all. Interesting times we are in eh! Update in South Australia. All non essential places are closing, social gatherings are forbidden, and social distancing being practiced. No closer than 1.5m. Good news though. I still have a job as Ag Engineering is still on the necessary jobs. I also still have a truck and a workshop to build it in! I'm now into the rear tail lift manufacture, which also includes the towbar (with rated plates) and last body pivot I've decided to add. I figure a 5 point system is better than a 4 point system! :)

Chassis Mods 34.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Here's the towbar. This will be welded in between the two plates and sit just below the rear bumper, keeping the tow point as close to the back axle as is sensibly possible. The large holes in the two plates also double as our rear recovery points. I plan to bolt a 3.5t 50mm recever to the underside of the rear channel to allow easy towing of our Land Rover on a rated A Frame. More to follow in the coming weeks.

Chassis Mods 35.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Whilst waiting for rollers and pins for the rear spare wheel mast I decided the time had come to do the cab lift using the taller mounts from the donor truck. This allows me to use the good arches of the donor and gives me room underneath the cab to fit the turbo and intercooler from the donor should I choose at a later date. The cab lift and arch swap was relatively quick and easy.

Chassis Mods 37.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94