Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
Little to report here. I've been busy stripping the donor truck. The gearbox is long gone and the rest has sat. First to come out was the engine. The OM442 LA is bigger than I thought. The eagle eyed amongst you will be able to see why this truck was a 'donor'... :)

Donor Merc donk.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Here's a pic of the rear lockers fabricated. I just have to finish hanging the doors, and the mudguard edge, then it'll be a case of positioning them and making the rear supports.

Chassis Mods 30.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
A little more progress here. Here's the framework I've devised to carry the boxes. It has to be this narrow, as there's a spring and hanger in front of it, and the bolting plate for the wheel lift at the rear.

Chassis Mods 32.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
I'm also getting my head into gear re the rear spare wheel tail lift... This will carry 2 wheels, and the bumper. The carriage plate/headstock will have a tow point and two rear recovery/shipping securing points. Here's a drawing of the two side plates I'm having profile cut. These will bolt either side of the chassis and form a carriage for the 100 x 50 mast to run on. This was going to be lifted by hydraulics... but a workmate suggested I do it with air as I have it on board... Thoughts...?

Attachments

• Plate.pdf
    525.6 KB · Views: 25

shade

I'm also getting my head into gear re the rear spare wheel tail lift... This will carry 2 wheels, and the bumper. The carriage plate/headstock will have a tow point and two rear recovery/shipping securing points. Here's a drawing of the two side plates I'm having profile cut. These will bolt either side of the chassis and form a carriage for the 100 x 50 mast to run on. This was going to be lifted by hydraulics... but a workmate suggested I do it with air as I have it on board... Thoughts...?
If you have air brakes or some other high volume source, tapping into that supply would make sense.

Madoxen

This was going to be lifted by hydraulics... but a workmate suggested I do it with air as I have it on board... Thoughts...?

HI Sitec , Air can be good but I would think making use of your PTO and going hydraulic would be easier. and probably easier to repurpose forklift or tailift or similar rams etc.

with air you add another point of potential leaks from your air tanks although u could put a shut off on it either way you will most likely have to have your engine running which ever system you go for. . I guess i Like Hydraulic over air . there is a third option which is a linear Actuator running off of your battery bank.

Keep up the great work have sent you a PM also

Wazak

Sitec, have you done any calculations as to the size of air operated rams that you will require as opposed to hydraulic?
Hydraulic will be far more powerful,
It would be more costly to rig up a hydraulic system but I'd take that over air any day, Just a thought you might be able to rig an electro hydraulic system up from a Ford Transit or similar tipping system.
Thanks for sharing your build.

Barry

Sitec

Adventurer
Sitec, have you done any calculations as to the size of air operated rams that you will require as opposed to hydraulic?
Hydraulic will be far more powerful,
It would be more costly to rig up a hydraulic system but I'd take that over air any day, Just a thought you might be able to rig an electro hydraulic system up from a Ford Transit or similar tipping system.
Thanks for sharing your build.

Barry

Hi Barry. No, not yet... It was suggested by a workmate. Hydraulics would undoubtedly be the strongest but I thought I'd see if air could be used using twin rams... as it'd be lighter than the 24v pump/tank/spool setup i have ready out of a 24v pallet forklift... Will do a bit of research and let you all know what I come up with.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There are air to hydraulic booster/converter cylinders. You could produce 2-5x hydraulic pressure from your onboard air source. Obviously the feasibility depends on how much stroke volume you need.

There are also pneumatically driven hydraulic floor jacks available. You could see if any are sized appropriately, and then adapt to your application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier