-->

Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Setic,

How does the 220hp drive on the road? Lack of power? Mine seems very weak...
Hi ErnestW. You describe the 220hp V6 very well. Ours has the later OM441 and it won't win any awards for speed either. On the highway I can keep up with trafic no prob but on hills it dies away very quickly. The older NG trucks had the earlier OM421 (rounded rocker covers instead of boxy rocker covers) which always sounded like someone rattling a can of bolts! I looked at fitting the turbo and intercooler from my donor truck engine which is also an OM441, but I've been advised the internals of the turbo intercoled engine are very different.

ErnestW

Hi ErnestW. You describe the 220hp V6 very well. Ours has the later OM441 and it won't win any awards for speed either. On the highway I can keep up with trafic no prob but on hills it dies away very quickly. The older NG trucks had the earlier OM421 (rounded rocker covers instead of boxy rocker covers) which always sounded like someone rattling a can of bolts! I looked at fitting the turbo and intercooler from my donor truck engine which is also an OM441, but I've been advised the internals of the turbo intercoled engine are very different.
Mine won't even keep up with traffic, going nice behind a oversize crane though...I haven't got time to look at it yet... Internally could be all new design, especially ne piston valve etc. However you still can fit aftermarket turbo to almost all engines, just some won't last. Normally a low pressure turbo won't hurt too much but won't give too much either.
Just came across some scania 4x4 340hp trucks on Pickles.....did not get approval for any budget....

I will wait you finish yours then I will start my conversion...haha watch and learn.

Sitec

Adventurer
Little to report here... Been pretty wet, cold and windy so motivation has been lacking. I've been doing the mundane jobs like insulating!

Body mods 127.jpg

The time consuming bits are the infills in by where the beds will be.

Body mods 128.jpg

Next job is to clad the inside of the rear lockers. Once that's done I will wire the roof for the downlights, insulate that, and then fit the 10mm thermal bridge layer.

Sitec

Adventurer
Trying to remember what has to go where and if it'll all fit etc makes for some interesting thought process's of an evening! Over the weekend, I managed to fit the breather hoses for the seperation toilet. The upright pipe to the right is the feed conduit for the solar power lines.

Body mods 129.jpg

I have the toilet 'intake' being fed from the weatherproof fuel filler point. I figured it would be better here than straight out under the truck. Not only that, there's a wheel under the toilet! :)

Body mods 130.jpg

Next up will be the drain pipe system for the sinks, washing machine and shower.