Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

ErnestW

It's been a very damp wet weekend here, making everything damp to touch in the workshop! Just like a UK winter!! I've lacked motivation too, but we got a little done. I've completed the internal metalwork along with the supports for the cover ab, painted it and managed to cut and site the toilet floor. This meant I could position the toilet in place and see how much room we have for the cupboard and sink. I'm still pondering where to put the Daewoo wall mount washing machine. It'll either be on the wall above the toilet (plumbing, drainage and power very close, but risks making the room cramped), or on the back wall of the rear right locker (hard to reach for Wifetec, power and water needs running to it, and drainage will be a problem)...

View attachment 668499
Hi Setic, it looks good and you must took a good time to do the plans. One question is, do you calculate the weight of everything before you build or just add on as you go? How much total weight do you expect for the whole set up?

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Setic, it looks good and you must took a good time to do the plans. One question is, do you calculate the weight of everything before you build or just add on as you go? How much total weight do you expect for the whole set up?

Hi ErnestW. There was a lot of planning to get everything we want in the right place. Hopefully it works out well. As for weight, that's the bit I'm nervous about! The body is over engineered but it used to be on a much smaller truck. I have added a bit to it, but have made my own bersion of a 4 point subframe, without the need for a subframe, so i hope to have saved weight there. I think it'll be around 11 tonnes when finished. I'll be glad if it's less. :)

ErnestW

Hi ErnestW. There was a lot of planning to get everything we want in the right place. Hopefully it works out well. As for weight, that's the bit I'm nervous about! The body is over engineered but it used to be on a much smaller truck. I have added a bit to it, but have made my own bersion of a 4 point subframe, without the need for a subframe, so i hope to have saved weight there. I think it'll be around 11 tonnes when finished. I'll be glad if it's less. :)
The body suspension system I got on the truck at the moment is a 4 point spring system, not the pin-bush ones, what do you have on yours? Are they engineer certified or not necessary? 11ton wow, will you use acrylic instead of glass to save weight? The truck is 13t gvm?

Geo.Lander

It's been a very damp wet weekend here, making everything damp to touch in the workshop! Just like a UK winter!! I've lacked motivation too, but we got a little done. I've completed the internal metalwork along with the supports for the cover ab, painted it and managed to cut and site the toilet floor. This meant I could position the toilet in place and see how much room we have for the cupboard and sink. I'm still pondering where to put the Daewoo wall mount washing machine. It'll either be on the wall above the toilet (plumbing, drainage and power very close, but risks making the room cramped), or on the back wall of the rear right locker (hard to reach for Wifetec, power and water needs running to it, and drainage will be a problem)...

View attachment 668499

One thing I still cant get over is how strong this build looks, hats off @Sitec!

Sitec

Adventurer
The body suspension system I got on the truck at the moment is a 4 point spring system, not the pin-bush ones, what do you have on yours? Are they engineer certified or not necessary? 11ton wow, will you use acrylic instead of glass to save weight? The truck is 13t gvm?

I have devised a 5 point system on our truck, using the chassis as the subframe, keeping the pivots low. The body is already very structurally solid, so I'm hoping it all works well.

pairospam

Observer
Hello, Sitec:

No doubt that the body will survive a nuclear detonation, though I was also wondering if you are approaching the very limits of the originally purposed truck. He is a 12 tonner, and 220 HP are just what you can get from the engine, unless I missed something and you have tunned it up for dragging more power. If that is the case, a good set of tires and the mighty beast will take you everywhere and most probably will get you out of trouble in any situation you get into.

As always, I really like your work and skills.

Keep up.

Pairoa

ErnestW

Hello, Sitec:

No doubt that the body will survive a nuclear detonation, though I was also wondering if you are approaching the very limits of the originally purposed truck. He is a 12 tonner, and 220 HP are just what you can get from the engine, unless I missed something and you have tunned it up for dragging more power. If that is the case, a good set of tires and the mighty beast will take you everywhere and most probably will get you out of trouble in any situation you get into.

As always, I really like your work and skills.

Keep up.

Pairoa
Hi Pairo. I believe the engine power is not the limiter here. That engine should get 800nm on the out put, despite the not high bhp however with the low range it will go most places. As I have a 190hp engine in my little Isuzu, loaded 15t GCM going 100k on free way no problem, just a little slow up hill, 70k? so the Merc would perform better.

Only real issue would be the more weight it gets, more easier to get bogged on soft ground, especially muddy situation.

If you see the Fraser island tow truck, very old and low power, but flies on every thing as it is very light, litter/similar weight with most ute with decent load on.

Sitec

Adventurer
So my original plan was to bolt the turbo and intercooler from my donor 340hp V6 truck onto my N/A 220hp truck and tune it to suit. However, having since spoken to the local Merc truck guru, I have learned that though they look identical, the 340hp OM441 V6 and the 220hp OM441 V6 are very different internally. I'm told the larger 340hp engine has stepped journals and different internals to make it run smoother... It's also at the top end of what the V6 can reliably handle. I've not put the idea to bed yet, and may well still rebuild the 340hp V6 I have 'spare'. There is the option of a V8 OM442 at 350hp, but that's lots of work. The Merc guru has said 'the right bloke can tune the 220hp N/A engine to 280hp... Watch this space.

Sitec

Adventurer
So, this week was spent planning and pondering. Putting the washing machine in the steps between the beds is out. Lets just say that the glare I got from Wifetec about loosing so much clothes storage space told me that location option was out! I decided to hang the washing machine above the toilet and see what it all looked like.

Body mods 123.jpg

It works in well with power location, water supply and drainage. It's easily accessable, and it's in a room that we spend very little time in. It makes more sense to me to have it in the truck rather than in a locker accessed from outside.

Body mods 122.jpg

Madoxen

Doesnt look too bad there really. Have you sat on the throan and checked head clearence ? I cant quite work out from the pic if it is close or you have to duck while sat. If it is in the way would it work to put either the toilet or the washer on the outside wall?

Sitec

Adventurer
Yeah, it works. I have to lean forward a little, but Wifetec is all good as she's vertically challenged. We tried the toilet on the outside wall, but it makes the sink access cramped.

Sitec

Adventurer
So, today was the start of the gas installation. Armed with the right gear and clear instructions as to what I have to do, I set about the job!

Body mods 124.jpg

The hardest part was getting the clear hose over the gas line! Here's the first half completed. Tomorrow will see the rest done, and then the fella who loaned me all the kit will come, check and tighten all the joints and then pressure test it before signing off on it and giving us the important piece of paper and compliance plate.

Body mods 125.jpg

ErnestW

So my original plan was to bolt the turbo and intercooler from my donor 340hp V6 truck onto my N/A 220hp truck and tune it to suit. However, having since spoken to the local Merc truck guru, I have learned that though they look identical, the 340hp OM441 V6 and the 220hp OM441 V6 are very different internally. I'm told the larger 340hp engine has stepped journals and different internals to make it run smoother... It's also at the top end of what the V6 can reliably handle. I've not put the idea to bed yet, and may well still rebuild the 340hp V6 I have 'spare'. There is the option of a V8 OM442 at 350hp, but that's lots of work. The Merc guru has said 'the right bloke can tune the 220hp N/A engine to 280hp... Watch this space.
Hi Setic,

How does the 220hp drive on the road? Lack of power? Mine seems very weak...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles