Merc 1124 AF Michelin XZY 385/65/s22.5 versus 425/65/22.5

Toby3

Hi,

Looking at putting Michelin XZY-3 385/65/22.5 on 11.75 R22.5 Rims as the sensible choice on my Merc 1124 AF 4x4. Seen others who have fitted these on MB 1124 4x4s

However also read below link about XZY Wide base so 425/65/22.5 on 13 R22.5 Rims.

http://www.nomadic-one.com/reflect/r...tires-and-rims

Given wheels and tyres are expensive, want to get the right option. Prices for the 425/65s are significantly more. Realistically keep coming back to sensible option above but interested particularly with whether its worth going to the wider XZYs

Any views?

Cheers Tobias

erwin z

Rim size has much to do with the application.
If you haven't seen that before, this might help you out.
You wont be near the specs these tires are capable of.

Michelin X.JPG

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey Tobias, I am in the process importing an 1120 into the USA. I think you also have the 8 lug rims. Mind sharing any info on the rims you are considering?

Joe917

Explorer
I am running 315 80 22.5 on a 9.25" rim on my 917 @ 9400kg GVW. Great tire for asphalt and dirt roads, too narrow for sand imho. I would like to go up to 365, 425 is perhaps too wide. What is your GVW and how much sand/beach mud do you plan? Wider is better for flotation but harder on steering components and fuel economy.

Toby3

Hi, talking to Aspect Wheels in the UK. For the 385/65/22.5 looking at 8 lug rims based on 11.75x22.5. I need to take the truck down them to measure the offset but they made the same thing for another 1124 AF about 4 -5 years ago so already know it works. They are quoting about 4 weeks lead time to make. Hope that helps

Toby3

Hi, still looking at 385/65/22.5. Are there any options that have more of an offroad bias than a pure road tyre

You may be aware that for off-road work partial deflation greatly improves capabilities for multiple surface types. You should also know that 22.5s have poorer bead retention at lower pressure compared to 20s. I don’t know if internal beadlocks are possible with 22.5s for heavy vehicles.
On the other hand replacement tires in 22.5 especially the 385 size are available everywhere; 20s, especially in the MPT sizes are much scarcer.
Despite the latter if planned travel involves a lot of off-road people use 20s; I carry a second unmounted spare (Hutchinson wheels are helpful).
The extra 1.25” (32mm) of sidewall for a given diameter improves ride and traction as well.

Geo.Lander

Hi, still looking at 385/65/22.5. Are there any options that have more of an offroad bias than a pure road tyre

Hi mate, I just ordered some 385/65 R22.5 Nokian R-Truck Steer (3PMSF). They seem to have a pretty aggressive thread. Of the options I had (Hankook AM15+, Bridgestone and Michelin XZY3) I was recommended the Nokian tires. I also have a bias to Nokian coming from winter driving up here in the north..

09fedf94-e775-4564-bb19-7a1858dedeae-large__r_0.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I will simply throw out:

-- After a total failure of a US made (kludged?) 20" rim and the agony of ex-military 20" that were not round, I followed the example of VerMonster and ordered Kron Prinz 22.5's from Germany. Wonderfully, wonderfully round.

-- I am running General Tire 385/65x22.5 tires. (General is owned by Continental.) Quiet on the highway, feel at bit more stable than the Continental MPT 81, but stiffer. The outer lugs are not deep and I did manage to get myself stuck in snow running at full pressure in 4x2. (Embarrassing as I did not have a shovel! :unsure:) The Generals are way over rated for my 9,000kg/18,000lb truck, so I run them at the lowest possible pressure. Haven't tried them aired down, but would merely note that, like the 19.5" rims, there are no safety beads, so you want to avoid severe steering angles.

FWIW: The Australians have huge debates about 19/5" rims/tires on Fusos in the sand. The is one faction that claims that, with care, you can air down all you want.

This may come down to a question of philosophy - do you favor wide treads or narrow. In any case, all of these tires seem to have very square edges which will probably reduce their ability in sand.

Best wishes!

Neil

Observer
Toby.

We have the NG cab with 385 65 22.5 tyres. Bridgestone M748. They have been brilliant. They now have 75000 km on them and are about half way through their life. Very quiet and I have really pushed them at times and I have never had a puncture.

However , the clearance when on full lock between my front tyres and the wheel are is minimal. I think a you would have to carefully measure the 425 to be confident it fits without fouling before making the purchase

Its an extra 25 mm on the profile. I definitely don't have this clearance

Neil

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
There is also the option of the goodride AT557 available in 425 and 385x65x22.5 its what i ended up going with.
I run Hercules Ironman 402 (385/65-22.5) and their tread pattern seems to be a duplicate of those goodride tires
Ironman 402 (stock photo)
Ironman 402.jpg

As there are a lot of knowable folks on this thread, a question on 'airing-down' 22.5
As the rim lip design is much different than 20s
5deg-15deg-rims.jpg

my local tire shop (smart guys) recommends not going lower than 80 psi. My German friends (engineer at M.A.N. trucks) runs the same size tires (385/65-22.5) on his MB1120 and has CTIS on his truck (aftermarket system), He said he lowers to 40 psi when on 'trails/dirt/etc', but more to get a smoother ride that to increase the contact area. The recommended never go below is 30 psi according to the builders in Germany. I would guess that with my 4 tires rated at 39,680 pounds (total) and my truck weight between 11,400 to 15,400 depending on configuration, I would not get much 'squish' regardless of how low I go on the pressure.
So what is the consequences on 22.5 rims for 'low pressure'? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles