Memorial Day at Craig Mountain

turbodb

Part 1 - Lost!

An astute reader may recall that we'd headed east a few days before Memorial Day - not just to explore Hells Canyon, but to meet up with Mike @Digiratus, Monte @Blackdawg, and Devin @MissBlackdawg. At least, those were the folks we knew; we were also rendezvousing with @BabyTaco Gage and his wife, and a couple of their friends - long overdue if you ask me.

From our current location at Hells Canyon Dam, it was some 5 hours north to Lewiston, ID, where we'd all planned to meet for lunch, so we were up early - for sunrise if it'd been sunny and we'd been able to see the horizon - to eat a quick breakfast and do our best to dry off the tent from the torrential downpour the night before.

We were on the road just before 6:00am, the skies clearing above us as we headed south - away from our destination - the 25 mile road to Hells Canyon Dam an in-and-out affair. That was fine by us - the sun streaming under the clouds illuminated the green hills, making the drive a pleasant one.

At Oxbow, we had a decision to make as to our route - we could retrace our steps west and north through Joseph, OR, or we could head further south, to an eastern route that would take us north through Idaho on highway 95. Having not been the Idaho route previously, we opted for that option - a nice side effect being that we could check out both the Oxbow and Brownlee Dams - two more of Idaho Power's controversial workhorses along the Snake River.

Controversial because as the dams were being built, there was a struggle between the power company and US Fish and Wildlife around the transmission of spawning salmon upstream and small fry downstream around the dams - or at least, around the Oxbow Dam, the first to be built. Prior to its construction, the Snake River system was the worlds second largest producer of Chinook and steelhead, second only to Canada's Fraser River, with over 200,000 three- to four-foot long fish migrating up the river each year (and several million fingerlings migrating back down). Now, one may immediately think - "I know - a fish ladder!" - which would be a reasonable solution, but Idaho Power felt that was too expensive an option despite the fact that such a large percentage of the entire salmon population used this passageway to spawn, and instead opted for a trap system that would allow them to truck fish in both directions around the dam. This trap however, failed spectacularly - putting the entire structure of the dam in jeopardy - and after numerous attempts to fix the system, they gave up, effectively cutting off the Snake River above Oxbow - and eventually Hells Canyon Dam - from Chinook and steelhead spawning.

Beyond the dams, we turned north for a reasonably uneventful drive to Lewiston, through periods of rain so heavy we couldn't see more than 50' in front of us, and through fields of flowering canola so yellow they appeared to be painted. And, right on time, we pulled into our rendezvous point - KC Burgers - in the metropolis of Lewiston. We were the last to arrive.

That's right, even Monte and Devin - notoriously late - had beaten us, a late drive the night before, and the one-hour time difference working in their favor. But no matter, we were together - at least for now - and enjoyed our burgers (though, I would try a different place next time - they were nothing special at KC in my opinion, and the service was meh).

Lunch behind us, we discussed our next steps. Monte wanted to top of his fuel tank, we wanted to restock a bit at the grocery store, and Gage needed to swap vehicles. No problem we thought - we had the GPS track that Monte had created, and ham radios + APRS for locating each other - so we split up and agreed to meet on the mountain - likely somewhere on the trail to Eagle Creek, and camp.

@mrs.turbodb and I - figuring that our detour would take the longest - provisioned as quickly as we could at the store and then pointed the truck towards Craig Mountain. We were likely 20-30 minutes behind everyone else, but we could see their APRS beacons heading out of town and so didn't give it a second thought.

As we hit dirt, I wondered if the rest of the group had decided to air down - the road wasn't bad, but it's always a bit nicer to have those cushion-y pillows of air to make it easier on the rest of the suspension (and our bodies). Regardless, we pushed on - no more APRS beacons on the map, in an attempt to catch up.

Maintaining a good clip, it wasn't long before we came to the turn for Eagle Creek - an offshoot from the main road; a road where airing down was a necessity. So, that's what we did - after all, this wouldn't cost us any more time than it'd cost the rest of the gang.

Aired down, we bombed down Eagle Creek road trying to catch up. Every few minutes I'd try the ham radio to see if we could raise Mike or Monte - each time without success. And there were no APRS beacons - due to the mountainous terrain we assumed. But at our speed, we were sure that we'd catch them. Sure of it.

Especially since we stopped only once for a quick photo; a feat that I've never accomplished when paired with Monte. ?

After paralleling the road for about 12 miles, Eagle Creek drains into the Salmon River - and we found ourselves at this point after passing several ATVs, UTVs, and dirt bikes, but without running into the rest of our group. Had we gone the wrong way? We were sure we hadn't - we were after-all, on the track.

We took a few minutes here to try the ham radio again and snap a few photos - an old chimney in the middle of nowhere, and the calm - at this point - but full Salmon River floating by. "I'm sure that they're camped somewhere down by the river." I said to @mrs.turbodb.

48014634237_04c9063158_h.jpg

48014633932_640dd8793b_h.jpg

So, off we went again, our speed high - the ADS suspension getting a good workout, and performing flawlessly - the ride in the front much nicer after I'd removed some of the pre-load. It wouldn't be long now until we found them - we hoped! For another 8 miles or so, the road paralleled the Salmon River. The weather was warm - 80°F or so - and the beaches on its banks looked like inviting camp spots. But still, no group.

48014559288_c367150b2b_h.jpg

Finally, having traveled some 20+ miles at speeds that surely would have caught us up, we decided it was time to turn back - we must have misheard where we were going to meet - they must have told us to meet them on the other track Monte had created, and so we decided it was time to give that one a try. A u-turn in the road where it turned away from the river, and we headed back at a reasonable speed - there was no need to rush now.

48014637237_189f42e3d5_h.jpg

By this time, it was 4:30pm in the afternoon and we found ourselves wondering what we'd do if we didn't find the crew along the other track - would we come back down to the river where it was super nice? Start our trip home early and head west? We didn't know, and suddenly...

Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos that don't fit here (due to max post size). Hopefully that can change in the future, but until then...

Keep reading the rest here
Craig Mountain Part 1 - Lost!

turbodb

Craig Mountain Part 2 - Groundhog Day

Parked in the wrong spot to catch sunrise, I slept in until the oh-so-late hour of 6:15am. ? But then, as I looked out the tent door, I noticed the fog over the valley and couldn't help myself but to get up and take a closer look.

And then, it was back to bed. Not because it wasn't a beautiful morning - in fact, the clouds had mostly vanished and the blue sky was spectacular - but because it was cold! 34°F according to my phone - not something I wanted to hang around in for a couple hours waiting for everyone else to get up. That afforded me two extra hours of sleep before we heard the rustlings of the rest of the gang exiting their vehicles - our cue to climb out of the tent for the second start of our day.

Really, we were in no real rush - there wasn't a lot of ground to cover, and Gage @BabyTaco and his gang were taking off around mid-day anyway - so we gave the sun a bit of time to partially dry off the tents, and we leisurely ate our breakfasts. For us, that meant instant oatmeal - something we've not had before on trips, and I think would be reasonably good given it's warmth if we'd gotten a less-sweet flavor than maple & brown sugar.

It was 10:00am - pretty much our average start time - we were finally ready to roll out of camp. Some last minute airing down of vehicles that were still aired up, and we staged ourselves to return to the main thoroughfare, which would lead us to a track Mike @Digiratus had put together.

The last two in the caravan, Monte @Blackdawg and I decided to make a quick stop - typical for us, I know - as we passed some old run-down log buildings on the side of the road. Looked like perhaps an old homestead with a main house and barn - left to rot as are so many similar structures on our trips. It's always fun to explore these, each one a little different - this one with some vibrant lichen growing on the shady sides.

Our stop lasted only about five minutes before we were back in the trucks and racing to catch up with the rest of the crew - approximately the amount of time we figured they would need to ditch a couple of the less capable vehicles and all pile into the 3rd gen 4Runner.

Everyone was climbing into the 4Runner just as we arrived, and after a quick conversation, we decided that we'd explore north to Corral Creek Road rather than head south along Eagle Creek, given that @mrs.turbodb and I had experience that the afternoon before, and since it might be nice to camp down by the Salmon River. With that, we were off - Mike in the lead!

It wasn't long - as is typical for us - before we stopped to take in the views. Running along a ridge, we'd already forked off of Corral Creek road - which was gated and locked - and were now following another road that might connect, if only there wasn't a locked gate somewhere along the way. Regardless, the views were some of the best we'd seen from Craig Mountain, a recent wildfire having cleared any tress that would have blocked the horizon.

We continued to tool along the ridge line road - enjoying ourselves and the abundant wildflowers - for another few miles before we ran into exactly what we'd feared - another locked gate. Probably to be expected in a reasonably populated area like this, but something we were unused to with many of our other travels; one of the benefits of exploring more remote places.

Our route blocked, we cruised back to the main road - nothing left to do now but head down Eagle Creek road - deja vu for Monte, Devin @MissBlackdawg, @mrs.turbodb and me.

Of course, the previous day we'd been bombing down the road, not really taking in any of the sights - today, just the opposite. With a first-time-offroad-stock-4Runner in the middle of the pack, we took it slow - picking good lines, being careful of bumps. It wasn't long ago that we were in that same boat; interesting to see how much has changed in such a short time.

Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos that don't fit here (due to max post size). Hopefully that can change in the future, but until then...

Keep reading the rest here
Craig Mountain Part 2 - Groundhog Day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94