Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Today's project....make/install new headliners.

The original headliners were sagging, stained and in poor shape. First up remove the fabric from one of the headliners so I can use the board as a pattern to make new backing boards.

IMG_1273.jpg

Pattern ready to cut.

IMG_1282.jpg

Two new backing boards cut out and ready to assemble.

IMG_1283.jpg

1" foam being glued to the backing boards, weights applied during the drying process.

IMG_1287.jpg

Test fitting before further progress. You can see the notch on the passenger side liner for the wiring heading up to the roof rack from the pillar, I will be fabricating a cover to hide the wiring.

IMG_1292.jpg

Cutting the notches where the retaining clips engage the headliner.

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

A little sanding on the corners of the foam and they will be ready for cover.

IMG_1301.jpg

At this point I gathered up the new headliner material and headed over to a good friends house to add a custom touch, she is really great with all things fabric and does awesome custom embroidery work. We settled on size, color and font and started to apply the UNIMOG logo to the headliner material. We settled on a gold/tan color that matches the trucks color perfectly. Thanks for all the help Linda!

IMG_1308.jpg

One side down.

IMG_1314.jpg

Applying glue to lock it down

IMG_1319.jpg

Cutting the slots for the clip locations

IMG_1330.jpg

Prepping the corners. We fit everything then pulled it back, applied the glue, trimmed the folds and locked them down.

IMG_1332.jpg

Passenger side Done. Came out really nice!

IMG_1336.jpg

Old and new together. Old unit is nasty!

P8130198.jpg

And pictures of the liners installed.

P8130200.jpg

P8130205.jpg

P8130209.jpg

I will build a custom metal cover to hide the wiring.

P8130213.jpg

P8130215.jpg

Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
Those came out great and very professional looking! It's definitely good to have friends with skills.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
One thing I'd recomend that I've learned from the custom shops is to use 1/8" door skins rather than hardboard. The 1/8" plywood remains flatter than the bardboard which is suseptible to moisture and will warp.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
One thing I'd recomend that I've learned from the custom shops is to use 1/8" door skins rather than hardboard. The 1/8" plywood remains flatter than the bardboard which is suseptible to moisture and will warp.

I came close to going with plywood but had this available, it's twice as thick as the OEM backing board and should hold up well for years to come.

Hodakaguy

shouldbeasy

Observer
Oh snap! That's some lovely embroidery your friend put down for you!

Quick question, where did you get the marine pass through grommet for the wiring? Looks super clean and as I've got a few wires going through my roof I think it's critical I add something permanent and built for it as opposed to just slapping silicone on it.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Some pics from NW Mogfest 2017, What a Blast!! We camped for 5 days and stayed for the total solar eclipse. Lots of great rigs and awesome people. Can't wait to go back next year!

About 650 miles total and the truck did great, just sat back and cruised at Mog Speed :)

Rolling towards Mogfest. The cab isn't to loud but on long trips I wear earplugs with the windows down.

P1090717.jpg

Made it to Mogfest and Hodaka camp is set up, dad and I were up early.

P8190093.jpg

Lots of cool rigs at Mogfest

P8200357.jpg

P8200338.jpg

P8200375.jpg

P8190235.jpg

P8180065.jpg

P8210407.jpg

P8190328.jpg

P1090799.jpg

P8180044.jpg

P1090753.jpg

P8200337.jpg

Watching the start of the total solar eclipse

P8210441.jpg

Hodaka Wife trying out a Unimog SEE Backhoe in the woman's backhoe competition.

P8190158.jpg

Even seen Bob Ross down by the Pit. lol

P8200392.jpg

Group shot with our friends....Fun Stuff

P8210443.jpg

And if you'd like to visit Mogfest for 30 minutes and get a better feel of the event you can watch the video I made up from my drone footage.....30 Minutes Of Mogfest 2017.

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I never thought about it until you just mentioned wearing ear plugs when driving with the windows down. I guess that thing doesn't have air conditioning, does it? Is it offered as an option?

Excellent job on the pictures and the video is awesome!!

That location is perfect and has a little of everything. I did find this about it: http://www.northwestmogfest.com/

That's the kind of event I enjoy, not too big and not too small, with a lot to do and see.

Last edited:

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I never thought about it until you just mentioned wearing ear plugs when driving with the windows down. I guess that thing doesn't have air conditioning, does it? Is it offered as an option?

Excellent job on the pictures and the video is awesome!!

That location is perfect and has a little of everything. I did find this about it: http://www.northwestmogfest.com/

That's the kind of event I enjoy, not too big and not too small, with a lot to do and see.

Yeah the event was awesome, lots of great people and cool rigs to look at. No AC in the mog although there are a couple aftermarket options, I just get a cold drink, roll down the windows and head out :)

Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yeah the event was awesome, lots of great people and cool rigs to look at. No AC in the mog although there are a couple aftermarket options, I just get a cold drink, roll down the windows and head out :)

Hodakaguy

Back when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, we had something called '2-40 Air Conditioning' in our automobiles. You put both windows down and drove at least 40 mph!

:smiley_drive:

FJOE

Regular Dude
Back when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, we had something called '2-40 Air Conditioning' in our automobiles. You put both windows down and drove at least 40 mph!

There still is! I got the 3-45 in my T100 (sliding back glass)!!!

letgonow

Excellent footage, fortunately you weren't much affected by the ff smoke it appears.

What are the little vehicles with the paddleboards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles