Medium Duty Ambo Interior Heights

java

Expedition Leader
I have been looking everywhere, but with all the medium duty guys I figured I would just ask. Are there any body manufacturers that build one taller than 72" inside?

:beer:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have never seem an ambo with over 72". But you can keep an eye out for the rolling laboratory type vehicles (search dirtlab ) as they generally are 72" + and also are on a medium duty chassis.

IMG_0458.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
I have seen the dirtlab. No pass through that I have seen on those style though, not generally on the crew hauler ones either.

Thanks for the input, I haven't seen any ambo's over 72" either... I was hoping someone would tell me differently.

I have been eyeballing this rig for awhile..... but im 6'2, which sucks sometimes.

1465a.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Apart from the headache of the wiring that runs down each side of the roof my suggestion would be to raise the roof. There are a few example here on the forum. Alternatively a pop top such as Sportsmobile do but I would be concerned about the reduction in the rigidity of the module in the case of an ambulance. (It would still be better than a normal cannot an RV but not as good as the current cage structure)

java

Expedition Leader
Apart from the headache of the wiring that runs down each side of the roof my suggestion would be to raise the roof. There are a few example here on the forum. Alternatively a pop top such as Sportsmobile do but I would be concerned about the reduction in the rigidity of the module in the case of an ambulance. (It would still be better than a normal cannot an RV but not as good as the current cage structure)

Yep that adds a lot of $$ to the project, but something along the lines of HobieTony's roof would be awesome. Pricing on the above truck came in a little crazy....

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yep that adds a lot of $$ to the project, but something along the lines of HobieTony's roof would be awesome. Pricing on the above truck came in a little crazy....

Yeah Tony went wild with that one. I have been wondering about cutting the center block out of the roof and then doing some triangulation to mount it back up at the height required. When you consider that you don't stand up on the sides of the box as there are generally cupboards there anyway. This would entail a lot less materials and would allow for retaining a lot of strength. The materials required would be approximately 5' of 2" box for each cross brace (approximately every 12") to get 12" of rise with a 45 degree angle. Then approximately 3' x the length of the box + 3' x the width of the box for the sheeting to cover it up.

As for trucks that one looked pretty modern. I personally would not use anything with DEF. So pre 2006 for most of them. After 2004 (different data buss) enables the ability to add the hydraulic front drive system. Also I would also suggest that a diagnostic check be run on the transmission and engine along with an oil sample of both.

I will throw a photo of a quick sketch on here from my phone. Sorry none of the fancy computer generated drawings from me. (CAD to me means cardboard aided design).

6b25f649ef2e619e1398f0e9b3eb3c3b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah that is a great idea, although it would be nice to keep the sides at a 45 instead of having the upright.

Its an 08, with factory 4x4 and a 14' 4" box. DEF sucks, but newer can also mean less miles and wear. Looking at the pics I dont see a DEF fill, it may have been built with the LBZ as the switched at 2007.5 IIRC, and those do not used DEF, while the newer LMM does I dont know which this one has. I got the price and cant afford it at the moment...

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yeah the main reason on not drawing it out to the 45 is because there are usually cupboards down both sides anyway and it is a lot stronger. You could do a mix of both and trim it back to the 45 where you want the access such as the doorways and leave it at the 90 and build in storage above the cupboards.

That rig sounds like a good one but I bet it is spendy.

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah the main reason on not drawing it out to the 45 is because there are usually cupboards down both sides anyway and it is a lot stronger. You could do a mix of both and trim it back to the 45 where you want the access such as the doorways and leave it at the 90 and build in storage above the cupboards.

That rig sounds like a good one but I bet it is spendy.

Yeah, asking 50k, but only 67k miles as well. Unfortunately more than my budget will allow at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles