Medications & Supplies for Pan Am trip

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I've been going over my medical kit lately...driving to South America and back in 2012 and I'm wondering if I should add anything. I'm an EMT-B and my girlfriend is a Trauma Rn so between the two of us we're trained to handle a fairly wide range of medical situations. I'm taking an EMT-I class right now to add a couple new skills and refresh some of my medical knowledge. There may be parts of the trip when we'll have to play doctor on each other (get your mind out of the gutter). We've even considered volunteering our services in remote villages, but liability issues scare me too much.

I've been told that even taking prescription meds across the border is a no-no. I was wondering if any of you have first hand knowledge or experience in the matter. I'd like to pick up some IV supplies, but would the police give me a hard time over a bag of solution of normal saline? Would they see needles and assume it's for illegal drugs? Should I just hit up the first pharmacia in Mexico and stock up on what we'd need or find fluids beforehand? Would that open me up to interrogations if policia search me? Right now the plan is to throw away any meds before crossing into Mexico (unless it's just baby aspirin). I suppose I could try to get written permission from some high-ranking officials, but I don't even know where I'd begin...

Surely there's a backcountry guide on Expo who's been in charge of medical logistics for their group, and dealt with these issues. Let me know what you think?

Caduceus

Adventurer
First off, all opinion:

I think most of the OTC stuff should be OK, if it's in original bottles. Same for prescription drugs. But, I'd really try to avoid IV stuff of any sort. Yeah, an angiocath isn't for shooting up, but a cop probably won't know that. Plus, barring trauma, you should be OK with either PO or PR re-hydration.

Wouldn't hurt to pick up some of the meds in Mexico.... but what about each other border you cross?

What exactly were you thinking? Really, imodium and Pepto is OTC. Tylenol, aspirin, motrin and naprosyn. Cipro, sure, prescription. Can you think of anything else you really, truly need? Maybe some anti-emetic, but that's also Rx. How many controlled substances were you hoping to carry?

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
First off, all opinion:

I think most of the OTC stuff should be OK, if it's in original bottles. Same for prescription drugs. But, I'd really try to avoid IV stuff of any sort. Yeah, an angiocath isn't for shooting up, but a cop probably won't know that. Plus, barring trauma, you should be OK with either PO or PR re-hydration.

Wouldn't hurt to pick up some of the meds in Mexico.... but what about each other border you cross?

What exactly were you thinking? Really, imodium and Pepto is OTC. Tylenol, aspirin, motrin and naprosyn. Cipro, sure, prescription. Can you think of anything else you really, truly need? Maybe some anti-emetic, but that's also Rx. How many controlled substances were you hoping to carry?
The only reason I was wondering about IV stuff was to counter severe blood loss in trauma situation where we're an hour or more from a hospital. It could be a temporary fix until access to plasma or a transfusion. I suppose I'm just being a worry wart for my gf. As long as we avoid juggling chainsaws we shouldn't worry about massive blood loss, right?

Definitely was thinking Cipro & anti-emetic, but other than that maybe just some doxycycline or other med for anti-malarial use. Of course I'd need a prescription in original containers & documentation. I was also thinking IV/suture kit just to assure we'd have sterile options if we found ourselves in a sketchy clinic. I read somewhere that you can get a physician's note to safely carry a kit internationally, but would like to hear from someone who's had to actually provide documentation for such scenarios & did they get grief about it.

I'm not an expert and I have not had to think about bringing in the stuff you are worried about bring.... but I'd like to share my opinion and ask a couple of questions.

First of all, what are you guys going to be doing on this trip besides driving? Rock climbing? Scuba diving? Croc wrestling or petting sharks in the lagoon? Sure you could get in a car accident, but what are theodds either of you will be able to treat each other if you were in fact in an accident severe enough to cause that much trauma? As I've had personal experience with, theoretically you will be more likely to encounter an accident on your trip than being involved in one personally. In which case you will be providing first aid until paramedics arrive (yes they have them in Latin America). My point, is that it may make your journey more difficult and unpleasant if you are trying to move all of these drugs across borders that are already under such pressure to stop drug flow.

But, since it seems you have your mind made up, I'd like to give some advice. If you are going to bring any pain killers or ANYTHING that may be considered a narcotic or not OTC, bring it in the smallest dosages possible. IF you need more pick up the 2 or 6 pills at the farmacia... basically consult the pharmacist and they'll write the prescript for what you need. Look for these guys in Mexico Farmacias Benavides. I walked in with some GI issues, bad headache and cold like symptoms and described it... they gave me some antibiotics and prescription cold medicine. Out the door spending $6 bucks and I got a soda.

Red, PM me and I will give you a few route suggestions which include some awesome off hwy routes!

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
First of all, what are you guys going to be doing on this trip besides driving? Rock climbing? Scuba diving? Croc wrestling or petting sharks in the lagoon?
I'll try one of each...Honestly, I'm practically up for anything as long as it doesn't it doesn't go against my gut feeling. I would honestly love to go scuba diving with sharks...something I've always wanted to do! I'll avoid the heavy petting though. In January we were on Isla Mujeres and I really wanted to swim with whale sharks but it was the wrong time of year to try. We will definitely do some surfing during the trip (maybe just me, not her)...and yeah, if we get in a wreck & I'm toast then she'll pretty much be toast too...at least we'll die happy.

I'm just trying to think of what COULD happen and prepare for that...but yeah, after thinking about it the IV stuff is overkill. I will just keep it simple and have a clearly marked prescription, in original bottles for anything I bring.

Great advice on the OTC meds. For backpacking in the states, I keep meds in tiny baggies with labels & expiration dates to save space & weight. Those won't work for this trip so I'll use your method & get the trial size stuff and little bottles of the basic stuff we'll need. I do remember seeing the Pharmacias Benavides on practically every street block...

I'm just trying to think of what COULD happen and prepare for that...but yeah, after thinking about it the IV stuff is overkill. I will just keep it simple and have a clearly marked prescription, in original bottles for anything I bring.

The possibilities of what COULD happen are enough to scare any reasonably sane person enough to stay home! Use your head. Bring necessary meds that you need or would have in a regular first aid kit. I bring more because I have a kid and 3 dogs! But the items included in my 1A kit are CPR masks, that trauma blood clotting stuff, about 20 different over the counter meds, and minor wound care.

One thing I did when I rode the bikes down was stick one of these to my jacket and helmet...
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/medical-information-carrier-system

Not sure how you could do it on your body... but its an idea.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/medical-information-carrier-system

Not sure how you could do it on your body... but its an idea.
Tattoos? :coffeedrink:
I think I'll order a medic alert dog tag for each of us with blood type and emergency contact info.

I received a PM from someone who's been there done that crossing the border with meds. Shouldn't be any problems as long as I have a prescription and keep it simple.

I'll just use common sense and avoid any of the stupid stuff that sends people to the hospital in the first place. Sorry, I've just been reading WAY too much of this EMT-I book lately :Wow1: and it's messing with my head...making me think of terrible situations. Just need to remind myself every now and then that I'm healthy, and I've never needed an ER visit as a patient

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94