Medical gear

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thats really the heart of it,

there is not a substitute for Epi- like has been mentioned Epi- in combination with IV Benadryl are what it takes.

if its severe, they NEED EPI-

Epi-is the answer for those who need it. Epi can be purchased way cheaper in a multidose vial, however those are not easy to get.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
What about snorting some already crushed benadryl? Would that be effective?

“(The collective ability of our forum members to go from dead serious to ****** sick humor, and then quickly back to dead serious shouldn’t, but does, constantly amaze me)”

So, in that vein, how about snorting coke? Isn’t cocaine kinda like an artificial adrenaline?

I can just see this happening next in California, Colorado and Oregon... getting your medical card for carrying medicinal grade coke.

(“No officer, really, my doctor has prescribed this for me for emergency use.”)

Alt. Ref: See HST and his great detailed research into the medicinal use of adrenochrome.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Upper airway is still closed off- Getting someone to Snort anything when their throat and laryngeal airways are closing is kinda, well....... good luck.

haha, I did laugh pretty loud when i read that though.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Do it wrong and they may never talk properly again... it takes serious fortitude to start cutting on someone, not sure I could do it honestly.

shade

Do it wrong and they may never talk properly again... it takes serious fortitude to start cutting on someone, not sure I could do it honestly.
To be fair, Father Mulcahy was very apprehensive, and he had God on his side. And Radar!
I doubt I'd have that level of support.

That's one of many invasive procedures that I'll leave to the trained. Getting it wrong could be worse than doing less and getting to qualified help sooner.

2.ooohhh

Cool.

I was wondering if his next video was going to be about field suturing your own thumb.

128dbcd97b7587fdbf4afcbc46149e26.jpg

Been there, had to do that, still have the scar.(but I didn’t think to document for YouTube!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

The more serious Q is, would doing this properly create a breathing entry far enough down the neck that the victim’s airway would be clear of the obstructed blockage?

While terribly dangerous, it could possibly be the very last opportunity response to a terrifying last resort situation where you are way too far away from getting proper help for any realistic chance of survival.

Over the years, I’ve known two people (spouse of one friend, brother of another) who died from severe asthma attacks while out in the woods and not near any possibility of life saving help. So, I’ve always wondered, if you had the choice of watching someone choke and die, or risking this procedure, would it be worth at least trying?

In my career (21 yrs Paramedic, 16 of those as ALS, also Wilderness/Urban SAR/CBRNE-II) I’ve been certified to do surgical airways as an absolute last resort. Thankfully I’ve never had to resort to it, but I’ll always remember the Dr instructing us saying that it’s only effective about 25% of the time when done in a semi sterile environment (ED).

I’ve had the opportunity to give Epi to severe anaphylactic patients numerous times (including my wife twice!) and there’s nothing compares to early administration. Oh, and I’ve never had a case where it’s only been 1 dose, so have a plan for the second/third.

As for the tourniquet question, I’ve carried them for years and never used them, direct heavy pressure has always worked, that being said, once it goes on leave it on, and it’s always 2 more turns past what you think is “enough”!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles