Mechanic's take on Ford Bronco

Wilbah

Adventurer
I thought this was an interesting article. I'm not buying a new Bronco but I thought the mechanic pointed out some good items to look for if you are buying one- not that this should prevent you from getting one, just sort of a "pay attention to" or "keep an eye on" kind of thing.

jadmt

ignore button user
My buddy said having lots of issues right now hecsaid every day they get service messages on it.

Wilbah

Adventurer
My buddy said having lots of issues right now hecsaid every day they get service messages on it.
I could be wrong but maybe they rushed some parts of it which is why he's seeing that. Or maybe it's typical 1st year bugs in a new design. No idea. I like the looks of them but it's not something I would use/buy. But I get the appeal.

jadmt

ignore button user
I could be wrong but maybe they rushed some parts of it which is why he's seeing that. Or maybe it's typical 1st year bugs in a new design. No idea. I like the looks of them but it's not something I would use/buy. But I get the appeal.
my buddy had put a deposit on one but now has nixed getting one and just bought a new JL. He has worked for Ford for over 40 years.

toddz69

Explorer
The "too skinny tie rods" are already proving to be a problem for several folks. The elderly parents of a good friend of mine were stranded on the side of the road this morning when their 2.7 started making a funny noise (2200 miles on the truck). It sounds like maybe the engine dropped a valve - which is something I've seen happening with some other trucks online as well.

I'm a hardcore Bronco guy but I'm waiting a year or two until some of the bugs worked out.

Todd Z.

Wilbah

Adventurer
It is brand new,,,,, Not a 60 year evolution like the Wrangler or Mustang.... Ford has built nothing like the new Bronco ever.
Of course there are first year gremlins....

View attachment 691336
I am with you 100%, 1st year is always hard. And there are so many types of it which only adds issues.

Bronco Sport- 4 versions
Bronco ("traditional?)- 6 versions and offered in 2 or 4 door models.

And while I'm sure there is alot of overlap of parts, that seems like a lot of variability- add to that 2 engine choices and 2 transmission choices, then add on features (diff suspensions), etc. It's a lot to get perfect in year 1 of introduction. I'm sure they'll get it worked out but I might wait for year 2 or 3 before getting one if I was interested.

brycercampbell

I probably wouldn't by any new car in the near future. With the Bronco, it's obvious stuff like y'all mentioned. Entirely new vehicle. But even with refreshes and redesigns, Super Dutys sitting in fields for months or years, who knows what condition a "new" vehicle is in. If it didn't roll off the semi in front of my eyes, I'll pass.

I've also read that people are having problems with the Bronco tops. Just not a good time to be looking for a vehicle, I suppose.

ChasingOurTrunks

The pan also doesn't have a drain plug, according to Bosch, so owners who off-road their rigs and do their own maintenance may not be too happy about this according to Bosch.

Thats too bad. That means a special tool is required for oil changes. For us, we regularly do trips that are long enough to need an oil change, and this means more tools to bring. Trail side repair is also harder when you can’t let gravity do the work of draining the oil.

I suppose an aftermarket pan would fix this but I’d still like a drain in the pan from the factory.

EDIT: Another user has pointed out below that this was referencing the transmission pan, not the oil pan. Somehow I missed that on my first read. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:

billiebob

Thats too bad. That means a special tool is required for oil changes. For us, we regularly do trips that are long enough to need an oil change, and this means more tools to bring. Trail side repair is also harder when you can’t let gravity do the work of draining the oil.

I suppose an aftermarket pan would fix this but I’d still like a drain in the pan from the factory.
The way the world is going, nothing can be fixed, you need a new battery for your iphone, you have to buy a new phone. Cars the same thing, the manufacturers are doing everything they can to trash 5 years old cars and sell a new one. It will take government intervention and regulations to reverse this trend.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The "too skinny tie rods" are already proving to be a problem for several folks. The elderly parents of a good friend of mine were stranded on the side of the road this morning when their 2.7 started making a funny noise (2200 miles on the truck). It sounds like maybe the engine dropped a valve - which is something I've seen happening with some other trucks online as well.

I'm a hardcore Bronco guy but I'm waiting a year or two until some of the bugs worked out.

Todd Z.
I still love the white OJ Special Bronco's.

oldnslow

Observer

I believe that is the transmission pan, not the engine oil pan. I hope I am not wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles