Meaner Bean

Hello Portal People,

I'm ready to move on from my RTT. A flatbed mounted FWC was on the table, but now I'm leaning toward a rugged teardrop; the outdoor cooking is an essential part of the experience on our adventures. I've seen a few trailers and have narrowed my choice to the Meaner Bean. It seems to tick all the boxes - albeit, some are compromises, but all 'solutions' seem to be a compromise in this world of dirt road exploring.

The pictures are plenty with the Meaner Bean (https://beantrailer.com/meaner-bean-off-road/). What is lacking seems to be written (typed) real world experience. Does anyone on this forum have experience with this teardrop?

For reference: we are 70% on road, 20% fire roads, 10% truck-width tracks. I avoid gnarly rock gardens, deep water crossings, and won't be dragging this thing across the Rubicon.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I agree that an outdoor cooking experience is preferable.

I’ve wondered why FWC doesn’t make a model that is more accommodating to that.

Having said that, both PCOR and 50Ten offer flat bed camper models that support an outdoor cooking style. May want to check those out as well.

Especially if you’re looking to spend $20k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1000arms

Hello Portal People,

I'm ready to move on from my RTT. A flatbed mounted FWC was on the table, but now I'm leaning toward a rugged teardrop; the outdoor cooking is an essential part of the experience on our adventures. I've seen a few trailers and have narrowed my choice to the Meaner Bean. It seems to tick all the boxes - albeit, some are compromises, but all 'solutions' seem to be a compromise in this world of dirt road exploring.

For reference: we are 70% on road, 20% fire roads, 10% truck-width tracks. I avoid gnarly rock gardens, deep water crossings, and won't be dragging this thing across the Rubicon.

If there is a possibility that you might build your own teardrop-trailer, I suggest you look at Tony H Latham's book Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper.

Tony is a forum member, with a thread on his book here.

I agree that an outdoor cooking experience is preferable.

I’ve wondered why FWC doesn’t make a model that is more accommodating to that.

Having said that, both PCOR and 50Ten offer flat bed camper models that support an outdoor cooking style. May want to check those out as well.

Especially if you’re looking to spend $20k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's strange that FWC doesn't have accommodations for this. I've been brainstorming some ideas mounted off the tray. The 50Ten looks pretty cool - thanks for pointing me towards them! I really dig that setup. I wish the PCOR situation was around 6 or 7 years ago ... I would have snapped one of those up in a heartbeat. My Wife is about done climbing up to a tent though ... I'm sad about that.

1000arms

Thanks for suggestion ... I would really like to do this; but time and a space to build is currently not in the cards at the moment. I'm going to grab the book for inspiration though. Thanks @1000arms.

You are welcome!

Simply reading his book will likely help you make a much more informed decision regarding whatever teardrop-trailer you decide to buy.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We don't have a Bean but we've been teardropping for 9 years now. If you have any teardrop life questions, fire away.

It's a Little Guy Silver Shadow 6x10 with their Rough Rider package added. 2 burner stove, fridge, 2 group 27 AGM batteries, solar, Fantastic Fan, wheels/tires to match the Jeep. ARK jockey wheel up front.
Cabinets inside at both ends ---- no usb ports but have 12v and 110 inside and out ----- 110 only on shore power.

Looks like the Bean doesn't have a cig plug for 12v inside. We use the heck out of ours --- electric blanket in winter, other accessories like speakers, etc.

vacation2016.jpg

We don't have a Bean but we've been teardropping for 9 years now. If you have any teardrop life questions, fire away.

It's a Little Guy Silver Shadow 6x10 with their Rough Rider package added. 2 burner stove, fridge, 2 group 27 AGM batteries, solar, Fantastic Fan, wheels/tires to match the Jeep. ARK jockey wheel up front.
Cabinets inside at both ends ---- no usb ports but have 12v and 110 inside and out ----- 110 only on shore power.

Looks like the Bean doesn't have a cig plug for 12v inside. We use the heck out of ours --- electric blanket in winter, other accessories like speakers, etc.

View attachment 571209

Thanks for the insights Hilldweller. Very helpful. It sounds like it's a setup that's working well for you; 9 years is a good run!

Is there anything you would change about the storage solutions or cooking setup in the Little Guy?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the insights Hilldweller. Very helpful. It sounds like it's a setup that's working well for you; 9 years is a good run!

Is there anything you would change about the storage solutions or cooking setup in the Little Guy?
If I could draw it up, there'd be under-bed storage accessible from outside the trailer. I've got about 3.5" of under-bed storage that's used for worst-case emergency supplies because it's a major PITA to access. It's basically a waste.
Other than that, no complaints except for the weight. The massive skidplates were overkill.

714rad

I picked up a Meaner Bean last fall and we love it. I'd say our use is about the same that you do, except a lot more fire roads. Its good for normal rough fire roads, I wouldn't recommend rock crawling with it.
The main 2 things that made us pick the meaner bean is the spacious feeling inside compared to every other teardrop we tried, and I liked the idea of the one piece fiberglass shell so that you don't have joints at the top to worry about leaking.
The hatch in the back is designed like a car hatch so there is a rim that runs all the way around the inside of the hatch, so even if water gets through the hinges it will just run down each side and out the bottom.
Let me know if you have any specific questions. We pull it with a honda pilot if we are mostly on the highway, and an FJ cruiser if its mostly off road.

I picked up a Meaner Bean last fall and we love it. I'd say our use is about the same that you do, except a lot more fire roads. Its good for normal rough fire roads, I wouldn't recommend rock crawling with it.
The main 2 things that made us pick the meaner bean is the spacious feeling inside compared to every other teardrop we tried, and I liked the idea of the one piece fiberglass shell so that you don't have joints at the top to worry about leaking.
The hatch in the back is designed like a car hatch so there is a rim that runs all the way around the inside of the hatch, so even if water gets through the hinges it will just run down each side and out the bottom.
Let me know if you have any specific questions. We pull it with a honda pilot if we are mostly on the highway, and an FJ cruiser if its mostly off road.
Thanks 714rad for the input. What type of hitch are you using?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Pic of how we do it, hunkered down for cold/wet/windy weather. This was mid January in the mountains.

0117201246_Film4.jpg

The EZ-Up is a commercial type with cross bracing.

Rain happens...

714rad

I'm using the Lock N Roll offroad trailer hitch. I like it, haven't had any problems. Although the max coupler would be easier to setup for different vehicle heights. If you already have a hitch/extension with a ball joint, you can just replace the ball for the max coupler.

714rad

Here is a link to their latest minimalist bean. I think you can add a timbren on any of them.
You can add more options for more money, but this would probably work well.

I'm using the Lock N Roll offroad trailer hitch. I like it, haven't had any problems. Although the max coupler would be easier to setup for different vehicle heights. If you already have a hitch/extension with a ball joint, you can just replace the ball for the max coupler.
Cool, thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz