Me and the Moonlander!

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
[FONT=&quot]A good friend of mine will not rest until he finds out what “Brand” your shift levers are …… He is not a member so I’m asking for him …. What brand are your shift levers?

[/FONT]:bike_rider:[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

TD64

Adventurer
Great video and ride reports! Let me know when you are ready for a Moab trip (note that I plan on driving there and THEN riding!).

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
I love this thread as well. Excellent effort and great idea! The micro-virtual tours are cool, here's to many more reports...:beer:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
[FONT="]A good friend of mine will not rest until he finds out what “Brand” your shift levers are …… He is not a member so I’m asking for him …. What brand are your shift levers?

[/FONT]:bike_rider:[FONT="]
[/FONT]

Looks like they are Microshift Thumb Shifters, Model SA-109. 3 x 9. Here are the complete specs on the bike.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

Great video and ride reports! Let me know when you are ready for a Moab trip (note that I plan on driving there and THEN riding!).

Hello Tony,

Keep me in mind if you decide to head that direction.

I love this thread as well. Excellent effort and great idea! The micro-virtual tours are cool, here's to many more reports...:beer:

Thanks, I enjoy seeing whats out there! I have been influenced by others who have done similar reports. This one in particular.

http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/its-pugs-life-179026.html

Gear

May Grey - May 1, 2012

Moonlander-MayGrey-7343.jpg

Headed out to Escondido, just to look around. I dropped into Elfin Forest thru Questhaven road.

Moonlander-MayGrey2-7349.jpg

Took the road out. Its been damp the past couple of days. Stopped to take a shot of the sign.

Moonlander-MayGrey3-7373.jpg

Once out in Escondido I rode the inner city trail system. I made one stop at Bike Bling. The trail system ended at the Escondido Animal Shelter. Which happens to be the take off point for the Caballo Trail. This is the back way into Daley Ranch/Dixon Lake. I could not pass up getting out on the trail. So up I went.

MayGrey2.jpg

The start of the Caballo Trail is on the far right. I came down the main road after looking around Dixon Lake.

Moonlander-MayGrey5-0957.jpg

This is Dixon Lake it resides right next to Daley Ranch.

Moonlander-MayGrey4-7397.jpg

Another shot of the lake.

Moonlander-MayGrey6-0958.jpg

A great little picnic area that I came across. I need to start packing a lunch!

Moonlander-MayGrey7-0963.jpg

My purchase at Bike Bling. Two rear quick release's. Out of there parts bin. I am going to try and make a front fork bicycle holder for the Moonlander. I would like to be able to put the bike on the roof rack of the Jeep. I got two because I bent one the other day when I ran into that sign.

MayGrey.jpg

Distance 36.9 miles
Elevation 2253 feet
Moving Average 11.0 mph

ywen

Explorer
Thanks justin! I had 17" gt that felt small to me after getting a 19" bike.. I think 18 might work out.. I see REI now carries the pugsley..i wonder if those 20% off coupons ever work on non novara branded bikes....

I saw some good deals on. A mukluk framset.. But damn.. Sourcing out all the parts will make a custom build just as expensive as a complete bike

Have you ever read Jill Homer's books or blog? Very good stories about racing in the iditarod with a fat bike..

Last edited:

Gear

Your bike pictures are really fun.

:wavey:

Thanks justin! I had 17" gt that felt small to me after getting a 19" bike.. I think 18 might work out.. I see REI now carries the pugsley..i wonder if those 20% off coupons ever work on non novara branded bikes....

I saw some good deals on. A mukluk framset.. But damn.. Sourcing out all the parts will make a custom build just as expensive as a complete bike

Have you ever read Jill Homer's books or blog? Very good stories about racing in the iditarod with a fat bike..

You might try Craigslist or Ebay for a bike. You never know what might pop up. When I get a moment I will check out Iditarod racing.

Thanks

Just read through the whole thread. Love it & the bike. You are making me miss SD alot!

Just curious, Where are you at now! I bounced over to your blog and had a look around. Neat stuff.

Gear

Secret Roads - May 3, 2012

Moonlander-SecretRoads-0988.jpg

I had plans for a longer ride today but once up at the top of San Elijo I noticed rain off in the distance. This made me change my route and I poked around San Marcos.

Lowes.jpg

Stopped into Lowe's. I did manage to ride a new section between Twin Oaks Valley Road and Lowe's. There are some back roads that actually lead right to Lowe's back door. I have scouted it in the past with my Jeep but never really felt comfortable cutting across. Today I pedaled it and might use it again as a quick back door home from that shopping center. I do like to frequent Phil's BBQ. Also located in that shopping center.

SecretRoads.jpg

Distance 13.9 miles
Elevation 1310 feet
Moving Average 10.8 mph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles