MBE926 question on oil pans

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I am in the midst of converting my Freightliner with the OM926 into 4WD. But the position and depth of the oil pan is going to cause issues.

My pan is obviously designed to allow clearance for the drop axle and it has a large belly at the front of the engine. The edge of this belly is will foul on the diff if I raise it the minimum height to give adequate tire clearance.

Do any of you guys with this engine have a different shaped oil pan.

a30341ee9258f9bca53765220fdcceb0.jpg

It is a very large sump for a 7.2L motor -29L.
You could have the pan modified at some expense and still end up with 24-25L probably, still way more than the ubiquitous 6.7L Cummins.
My Unimog with the 906 has a similar pan.
You of course would need to make sure that the pickup has room . It could even be widened at the front.
BTW my last oil change interval was 25600mi with an excellent analysis. With an enormous sump you don’t need to change very often.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It is a very large sump for a 7.2L motor -29L.
You could have the pan modified at some expense and still end up with 24-25L probably, still way more than the ubiquitous 6.7L Cummins.
My Unimog with the 906 has a similar pan.
You of course would need to make sure that the pickup has room . It could even be widened at the front.
BTW my last oil change interval was 25600mi with an excellent analysis. With an enormous sump you don’t need to change very often.

That is excellent to know about the change intervals (especially validated by sampling). I currently change mine yearly because I just don't use it enough to base it on mileage. If I go the pan modification route I will probably just do a custom pan. The old one is cast aluminum and probably impossible to clean enough to weld to my level of satisfaction/confidence. But that is not out of consideration yet. A new one to use as a donor is relatively expensive for something to cutup.

Would trimming the oil pan and adding large remote oil cooler work?

Yes that would work although it would need a thematic bypass and is another potential failure point.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
What I need to chase down is something like these. They are the ones for a bus and may just be the answer. Hopefully the local Detroit dealer has one in stock (wishful thinking) that I can check the measurements on before purchasing.

Alternatively I do have a friend staying with us (hiatus from a round the world motorcycle trip) who was a high end custom motorcycle builder and can do high quality welding if we have to make one.

Sitec

Adventurer
Looking at that last parts breakdown you posted, I'd say that your sump is reversible....

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just to close this one out. I did locate a couple of the bus oil pans. Used and damaged 120 GBP plus shipping from the UK and getting it repaired. Or straight from Detroit Diesel $2468.88 plus tax. So I passed on those options (for the time being at least) and as Charlie suggested I will be getting the pan modified locally for about $150. I anticipate losing about 1 gallon of oil capacity but with my current usage profile I change the oil yearly and never go near the 20,000 mile suggested interval.

Thanks for your help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles