MB U1300L a good base to build on?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Just found this one on youtube:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_zql7q8BM"]YouTube - Unimog 1300L camper for sale 1-250-229-4045[/ame]

Not sure if its still available but certainly looks interesting!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Wow ! That looks to be a very nice one and in clean condition, too...

Looks like an ex military with new paint... who knows what it looks like underneath. But right now it certainly looks stellar!!! The phone number indicates that it must be located pretty close to Victoria,BC .

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Looks like an ex military with new paint... who knows what it looks like underneath. But right now it certainly looks stellar!!! The phone number indicates that it must be located pretty close to Victoria,BC .

The Mog is located in Procter, BC which is north east of Nelson. I went to have a look at it earlier this summer and its in pretty good shape. The camper is fully detachable and would be good for some short trips. A bit more work would be needed on it to make it comfortable for longer journeys. However, all in all it seems to be in good shape.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
My Sprinter camper and I parked next to this truck at Northwest MogFest in August and I got a good tour of the unit and spent some time with the pleasant and knowledgeable owners. Whether you like it our not will have a lot to do with your travel and camping strategy. As noted, the sturdy shipping-container-like cabin will lift right out of the back of the bed, leaving you with a fully-functional cargo Mog. But this means that there is no pass-through from the cab to the cabin, which would be a significant drawback to some.

It's also the case that, in true expedition fashion, storage has been maximized, with drawers, bins, etc. everywhere. Great if you're on a very long trip, but if the truck is mostly going to be used for shorter trips, you might prefer a different layout.

On other thing for US potential owners . . . because of the ease with which the cabin comes out of the bed, I believe US Customs would almost certainly subject it to the 25% cargo truck duty, rather than the 2% duty on vehicles that are indisputably RVs. But I don't know whether, due to NAFTA or some such, the situation is different when importing from Canada. Worth checking on, given it's about a $9200 difference.

boroburner

Thanks for the links to the mog! Shes a nice one i agree.

The more i think about this, the more i think i may want to build on something a little larger?? Perhaps a 2450/437(is that right?)? My ideal scenario is to "full time" in it. Ive looked at plenty of photos/CAD/specs and weighed a few things and im think I should look to a larger rig. There happens to be an RV dealer just outside of Frankfurt that has a selection of used expedition vehicles on their lot. Im planning to attend when i get to Germany and have a look at a few myself.
Woo hoooo!

Till then... lots of reserch!

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Another option . . . U2150L

If you're going over to Germany you may want to check this baby out. I was looking at it very seriously prior to buying the 1550L. From what I can recall, the vehicle, as a cab and chassis weighs around 6.000Kg and has a total allowable weight of 14.000 Kg. With the box on the back the vehicle has a payload of 6.500 - 7.000 kg. It may be big enough for what you need.

http://www.merex.de/e/gebrauchte/U2150L451993exWemhof.shtml

boroburner

Wow!!
thanks for the link. Any idea what the asking price may be?

Can anyone tell me the contruction material(s) of a typical radio/ambulance box? Steel, i would guess?

Hilmar

Forget it!
Their expected price (without taxes) is 35,000.00 Euro without any inspection or guarantee.
It's a prototype with a wheelbase of 4.3m - no spare parts available for the long wheelbase.
The gearbox was shifted further to the back than in a series-produced model.

Hilmar

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Forget it!
Their expected price (without taxes) is 35,000.00 Euro without any inspection or guarantee.
It's a prototype with a wheelbase of 3.80 m - no spare parts available for the long wheelbase.
The gearbox was shifted further to the back than in a series-produced model.

Hilmar

That one has a 4.3m wheelbase - it is different from normal 3.8m wheelbase U2150 which are standard and part of the normal Unimog range

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne