MB GL450 drive

Bugspray

Adventurer
I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I thought here would do.

First off I work at a 5 Star resort in Jackson Hole WY. We cater to very rich clientele and offer sunrise and sunset wildlife "safaris" year round. Recently we received 5 MB GL450 suvs to use as house cars, guest use and our wildlife safaris. MB basically "gave" them to us and take care of all the maintenance etc. and will be rotated out as new models become available. Its a great program for all involved, they get targeted marketing and we get sweet luxury cars for free.

Yesterday I spent the first day in the 2011 GL450 on a sunrise tour with some guests.
It was a beautiful day and we saw tons of wildlife but I just wanted to give my opinion of this ridiculously over the top $80,000 vehicle.
It is still quite cold and we had a big winter so some of the roads we use are still partially covered and wet.
Some are downright mud pits, i try to stay out of those.
The first impression was the GL450 was like with any MB product was "plush". Its is soooo quiet and refined it almost doesn't feel like you are in a car at all. It has every option but the dash is not overly cluttered, since I know where i'm going I did not use the built in GPS.
The things I used and find quite handy were the auto tail gate up/down, the large euro style hazard light switch, and dual sunroofs. It has third row seats but little storage space, two compartments in the rear and a "mini" spare. Overall the vehicle handled perfectly everywhere I went, from dry highway driving to to icy, muddy, potholed side roads. It seamlessly transitioned from surface to surface and gave a smooth ride everywhere. Smooth enough for my guests to sip hot chocolate in the back.
As we use them more I will be interested to see how reliable they are.

pics are at the end of the day after I detailed the vehicle.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    662.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    535.3 KB · Views: 24

EMrider

Explorer
I think that MB really nailed it with the styling and design of the GL450.

But after putting about 55k on one over three years, I finally gave up because of reliability concerns. The problems were numerous, and IMHO often related to the incredible technology built into the car. For me it proved to be way overly complicated and in the end my wife was afraid to drive it.

I hope you have a better ownership experience.

R

somesnowday

Yes there is a G in GL but it certainly is nothing like a G. It is much more like the ML mini vans that I get to work on every week. Sure many rich soccer moms may drive their G like a ML or GL but their capability and reliability are vastly different. Their is good reason there is no GL or ML section on Expedition Portal. Just my thoughts.

zimm

Expedition Leader
?

its an AWD minivan. i bet in time they will have worse resale than an s-class.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for taking the time to give us a review of the GL. While it's easy to find lots of free opinions about these and similar luxury trucks, it's pretty hard to find opinions from people who have actually used them.

And since the average owner would be too scared of the costly consequences of an off-pavement adventure to ever have one, your's is about the best chance we'll have for relevant information.

haven

Expedition Leader
After a hiatus of a few years, the GL-Class is available again in USA with the advanced off-road package. This kit adds center and rear locking differentials, low range, four wheel air suspension, and extra underbody protection. Just the ticket for a wintertime trip along Bar-B-Bar Ranch Road.

zimm

Expedition Leader
After a hiatus of a few years, the GL-Class is available again in USA with the advanced off-road package. This kit adds center and rear locking differentials, low range, four wheel air suspension, and extra underbody protection. Just the ticket for a wintertime trip along Bar-B-Bar Ranch Road.

2011? cant locate that package on the website.

addicted56

Adventurer
Yes,

Available with the 3.0L V6. I have it in my E320 bluetec and have driven it in the GL and it is not enough for the big GL. Now GL with the V8 diesel is also made in Tuscaloosa but we can't buy that here? WHAT!!! Makes no sense what so ever.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Yes,

Available with the 3.0L V6. I have it in my E320 bluetec and have driven it in the GL and it is not enough for the big GL. Now GL with the V8 diesel is also made in Tuscaloosa but we can't buy that here? WHAT!!! Makes no sense what so ever.

There are many MB vehicles built in Tuscaloosa and elsewhere that are not sold in the US. MBUSA has their collective heads firmly planted where the sun never shines!

Bugspray

Adventurer
The vehicles we have do not have the off road package or diesels.
They have awd,downhill assit, esp,and air suspension(raises about 6") and have all season tires. I lobbied hard for G-wagens but to no avail, something to do with limited inventory....I doubt we will have any issues with the GLs. If they do break down they get put on a truck and sent to SLC for repair.
I'm glad we have five of em!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior