MB Cab style/truck info

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Im relatively new to the MB medium and heavy duty platforms. We are trying to find a chassis for our next camper and Ive been looking at vehicles that are beyond the 25 year age for importing into the US.

We really want an ‘extended cab’(2 doors) but would prefer to stay away from a ‘crew cab’(4 doors). Only two adults, one dog and my wife REALLY likes to recline her chair!

Did MB make the various model number trucks in different cab configurations or does the model number indicate cab style??

This is the cab style that we believe would work for us.

bba31421b919dfc187c470619d435280.jpg

Thanks
Chris

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Mercedes makes single, extended, and crew cabs of various configurations.

The first digit(s) indicate the gross vehicle weight in kilos, the last digits the horsepower. So my 917AF is:

9,000 kilos, 170 horsepower, 4x4, and a fire truck.

If you import this type of truck, you will probably want to join: https://www.ln2-forum.de/

Geo.Lander

Im relatively new to the MB medium and heavy duty platforms. We are trying to find a chassis for our next camper and Ive been looking at vehicles that are beyond the 25 year age for importing into the US.

We really want an ‘extended cab’(2 doors) but would prefer to stay away from a ‘crew cab’(4 doors). Only two adults, one dog and my wife REALLY likes to recline her chair!

Did MB make the various model number trucks in different cab configurations or does the model number indicate cab style??

This is the cab style that we believe would work for us.

bba31421b919dfc187c470619d435280.jpg

Thanks
Chris
s

LK is the "easyclass" cab and it came in 1 and 1.5 variations, good luck finding a 1.5 cab as this is the version everyone wants to the extent they are rarer than rare in the EU and when an original pops up they go for big cash.
NG and later SK are the heavy class driver cabs i think, someone correct me if I am wrong they came in from 12 ton chassis and up.
We have the LN2 LK 1.5 cab, we got lucky as we bought it in Norway where there is pretty much no market for trucks (the other bidders were from the UK and NL). Good luck in your truck hunting!

Picture of ours right after delivery about a year ago, there is a bench seat in the back supposedly seats 4 adults but ours came with no seat belts :ROFLMAO:
1633166410325.png

chris_the_wrench

Mercedes makes single, extended, and crew cabs of various configurations.

The first digit(s) indicate the gross vehicle weight in kilos, the last digits the horsepower. So my 917AF is:

9,000 kilos, 170 horsepower, 4x4, and a fire truck.

If you import this type of truck, you will probably want to join: https://www.ln2-forum.de/

Im having issues getting signed up, doesnt like my location. I’ll fuss with it later when Im at an actual computer. Any recommendations for translating the text to english?

Thanks for the info.

chris_the_wrench

Ive been primarily looking on mobile.de, what other websites should I look at for auctions?

Should I primarily being looking at EU Countries or is it much harder/easier to bring one into the US from a place such as Norway? I have family there which could be helpful.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Geo.Lander

Ive been primarily looking on mobile.de, what other websites should I look at for auctions?

Should I primarily being looking at EU Countries or is it much harder/easier to bring one into the US from a place such as Norway? I have family there which could be helpful.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Norway and Sweden are untapped to a certain extent. Try finn.no for Norway at least, if you want to buy it tax free for export get your paperwork ready as most firetrucks there are auctions.

We can certainly help you with logistics of you find something you like.

RoamIt

This may or may not help, but in line with MOG's suggestion. I may acquire a crew cab. My thought was I could use this area for more than seating. I would like some fold down seats for guests. But day to day there is a ton of room that could be used for storage, battery's, additional bed, etc.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
This may or may not help, but in line with MOG's suggestion. I may acquire a crew cab. My thought was I could use this area for more than seating. I would like some fold down seats for guests. But day to day there is a ton of room that could be used for storage, battery's, additional bed, etc.
My 1017AF dreifachkabine was 8 feet by 10.5 feet (2.4 x 3.2 meters) so almost another cabin. My plan was to use the cab as a 'second' cabin (I have a 12 ft removable composite camper) if traveling with another couple, so you could eat, play cards, chat together in the 'main' cabin, but sleep in separate cabins (same plan if traveling with children). Or use the cab as the primary cabin if I was in flatbed configuration hauling my RZR. Certainly not an option now with a 'tiny' C4500 Kodiak cab :unsure:

1017cab-1.jpg

1017cab-2.jpg
^^^ plans/drawing by @mhiscox

1017-d.jpg

You can see the significant advantage in both reduced length and especially wheelbase the cabover design has over even the 'short-nose' C4500 design, while having a much larger cabin.

1017vsC4500.jpg
46" tires on the 1017, 42" tires on the C4500

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Im having issues getting signed up, doesnt like my location. I’ll fuss with it later when Im at an actual computer. Any recommendations for translating the text to english?

Thanks for the info.

I was using the auto translate of Microsoft Edge, but it has recently gone FUBAR. I have to craft my posts in Word and then copy and paste.

Sign up is a PITA because of language. Send an e-mail to: petsi@ln2-forum.de <petsi@ln2-forum.de> and they will fix you up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles