MB 917AF Coming to BC, Canada

RoamIt

Thanks for sharing the pic’s & memories!
I’m late to the overlanding party, but I find it encouraging and inspiring every time someone posts up their experiences.

Furaites

Well I am trying to go down a similar route, but sadly having problems finding a professional to import it. Found exporters and some importers but they either will not work with the other...or their rates are astronimical....living over on the East Coast of Canada does not help either...

I will be watching, and hope you never fully fulfill all your dreams...so you will always have something to chase after and gaze upon

Geo.Lander

Im not gotten any real kms apart from delivery and to and from the garage - storage we have for our truck but the standard MB seats are pretty OK IMO. The ride quality in these trucks is better than my old Pajero and even better when we added the lighter parabolic suspension and new shocks :D
For now we plan to keep the original seats..

Sitec

Adventurer
Small world. What years did you work for Dragoman? I was with Guerba from 89 to 91. We had a seat over the cab that made into a bed. I used to love sleeping there if it wasn’t buggy. Away from the PAX and above all lighting. The stars at night in the Sahara where truly amazing. I even trained some of my PAX to climb the ladder and bring me a coffee in bed in the morning!

I was there later than you. I worked with Drago in 2000. Only got as far north as Uganda. Did everything below it, and loved it, and vow to return some day soon! I blame Drago for that thumping great project in my shed!! :)

Sand matting out of a beach camp somewhere in Malawi or Mozambique.... the latter I think!
Archie 3.JPG

Me (with the John Deere hat on) stood behind my 'Daf' (did you have that saying too?) on top of the world!
Archie 2.JPG

And on Etosha pan.
Archie on Etosha pan.JPG

Dragoman were still going up until very recently with 20+ trucks. The company has been put into hibernation in the hopes that they can ride Covid out.

Anyway!! Re the original post on air seats... We have one, and I'll be fitting a second, as we both want to be comfortable. Another avenue to explore for air bases is Tractor Dealerships. The only draw back is most of the stuff is 12v not 24v. :)

philcia

Gawd! Memories! Didn't know those companies continued into the '90's. I used to see them in the '70's and always marvelled that they ever made it, as the drivers tended to be learning only one step ahead of the passengers. The Siafu group that we saw in Kano had been broken down in the desert for a fortnight and several of the passengers were bailing. Hard enough trips without shepherding a dozen folks.

Braver men than I am! ;)

I really admired the Rotel folk - all of Africa and a Pullman bed!

Haha that’s why I joined Guerba. We could even communicate with head office via “Telex” every 6 weeks or so.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I remember typing Telex messages.

I am grateful for the internet and cell phones as I am broken down by the side of the road with a burned starter. At least I can start the search for a replacement while I figure out how to get the beast towed or carried home.:(

Pity, we were only 30 miles from OEXPO East. First time in 50 years that I haven't been able to limp home.

philcia

I was there later than you. I worked with Drago in 2000. Only got as far north as Uganda. Did everything below it, and loved it, and vow to return some day soon! I blame Drago for that thumping great project in my shed!! :)

Sand matting out of a beach camp somewhere in Malawi or Mozambique.... the latter I think!
View attachment 686146

Me (with the John Deere hat on) stood behind my 'Daf' (did you have that saying too?) on top of the world!
View attachment 686148

And on Etosha pan.
View attachment 686153

Dragoman were still going up until very recently with 20+ trucks. The company has been put into hibernation in the hopes that they can ride Covid out.

Anyway!! Re the original post on air seats... We have one, and I'll be fitting a second, as we both want to be comfortable. Another avenue to explore for air bases is Tractor Dealerships. The only draw back is most of the stuff is 12v not 24v. :)
Awesome photos. I was lucky to get a trans Africa for my first trip. Morocco, Algeria, Niger, Mali, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Zaire, Burundi, Tanzania and Kenya. That was one trip and took about 6 months. It’s where I met my wife and why I now live in Canada :) She used to say I was her best souvenir from Africa…. 30years later and I’m not so sure!

Zim and Bot’s where my favourite countries.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures

RoamIt

Sorry to hear! Are you going to make it to Expo East at all? I was going to try and take in your electric's class.

Sitec

Adventurer
It’s where I met my wife and why I now live in Canada :) She used to say I was her best souvenir from Africa…. 30years later and I’m not so sure!

Zim and Bot’s where my favourite countries.

It must be an overland thing! I met my wife through Drago and we are still married too!!

Yeah, Zim and Bot's are awesome. Namibia got me tho! Loved it... Oh, and sitting in Joe Cools in Durban with a cold Savanna Cider at the end of a trip!

billiebob

It is amazing how simple it once was.
The simplicity of overlanding expeditions impress me.
The complexity of systems, comms, navigation not so much.

I was born 50 years too late. This impresses me.
13026.jpg
and this too

1980 mt st helens.jpg

who'd a thought there could be an explosion bigger than a Pinto gas tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz