MB 917AF Coming to BC, Canada

philcia

Hi All,

I am getting very close to importing my 30 year old Ex-fire service truck from Germany. She should be arriving in Halifax in the next 4 to 6 weeks. I'm then flying out with my son and we will be driving her back to BC.

She is a 1990 with 20,000km on the clock. We have already had her converted to Super Singles. Serviced and are waiting for her cleaning certificate.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Air-ride seats and a good Canadian dealer to buy them from? We will be crossing the whole country so would hope to bring them home with us.

Cheers
Phil

b60d9b0c-e2f4-4e67-be4b-bc24ea73255e.jpg3604.JPG

Joe917

Explorer
My air ride failed in the first 6 months of ownership. I have driven the truck 200 000 km since then on that seat with no air suspension, have not missed it a bit!
Welcome to the group.

billiebob

Any commercial semi will have air ride seats that last a million miles.
New they are expensive but since they are used on a commercial basis they are worth every penny.
Used they are a dime a dozen altho used will likely need new upholstery.

I bet my poor butt has ridden in them for 2 million miles.

Not sure they will fit unless your floor is flat tho.

ps, that is a gorgeous truck,
Hope to see it in BC. Maybe stop for a break at the Nakusp Hot Springs.
Hope you keep the very cool Fire Truck Red Paint.

70749475_3497636563583651_8534172958581587968_n 2.jpg

Last edited:

philcia

Thanks Joe917 and Billiebob. Any advice on where to look for new ones in Canada. Maybe in Ontario?

philcia

Thanks Roamlt. The back will come off in the first few months and a deck will be installed so I can use her as a delivery truck for my business.

In a few years I’ll start the build. I live near Whistler so only a short trip over to Total Composites for the habitat.

I drove a Bedford MJ across Africa 30 years ago so I know my back will be happier with air ride seats ?. I’m not the young Buck I used to be!

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
FWIW - The gentleman who imported our truck put in Mastercraft "Rubicon" racing seats. These have no springs or suspension of any sort and are amazingly comfortable. https://www.mastercraftsafety.com/product_p/seat-rubicon.htm

Most who have suspension seats love them, but I would suggest that you wait just a moment. The ride of our 917AF is generally better than most expect.

And welcome to Mercedes madness.

"Snafu Overland?" or "Encounter"? Used to see them in Cameroon, camped near them in Nigeria.

103074581.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The easiest swap for air-ride seat(s) would be of course factory (if you can find them) or Unimog seats.

Unimog seats in a 1017
1017.jpg

Unimog seats in a Unimog

unimog.jpg

I bought the air-ride seat for my C4500 from 'europepart' on eBay. They sell the PRIME series of seats. If you watch their auctions you maybe can get a killer deal on a customer-ordered seat that was canceled. I got a full leather 500 series seat with all the bells and whistles for less than a 200 series seat. I am very happy with the PRIME brand, and they are much cheaper than the big-name air suspension seats. The factory bases are quite high as they are made for class 8 trucks, but the base is a bolt-on set-up, so easy to make a custom base. I had to make mine much lower and set it back 5 inches for more legroom
air-ride seat.jpg
As you can see a fair amount of work, but you end up with the height and spacing that is custom for you. I think the air-ride is worth the effort and cost, as at least in my case it allows me to live with the stock stiff suspension which would have been a lot more work and cost to start changing. I just changed the driver's seat as I figure the passenger(s) can move around to get more comfortable.

Edit On the NG cabover cab you will have to compensate for the wheelwell slope arch.

Last edited:

philcia

Thanks for all the great advice. It is not a question of should or shouldn’t I instal air-ride, for me. After 25 years of back problems, 2 herniated discs, 2 degenerated discs and 1 back operation I need all the advantages I can get!

A friend has a 917 camper already built out, with air-ride seats. It makes a huge difference to me.

Thanks Mog for the great advice and pictures. Very much appreciated.

billiebob

Any advice on where to look for new ones in Canada.
umm, Peterbilt, Kenworth, International all come to mind as starting points.
I'm betting some are built in Ontario.....
That might get you a deal.
You have a very cool truck.

Stop at a few truck stops, most have "trucking mags" at the entrance full of ads.

philcia

FWIW - The gentleman who imported our truck put in Mastercraft "Rubicon" racing seats. These have no springs or suspension of any sort and are amazingly comfortable. https://www.mastercraftsafety.com/product_p/seat-rubicon.htm

Most who have suspension seats love them, but I would suggest that you wait just a moment. The ride of our 917AF is generally better than most expect.

And welcome to Mercedes madness.

"Snafu Overland?" or "Encounter"? Used to see them in Cameroon, camped near them in Nigeria.

103074581.jpg

I worked for Guerba Expeditions. They where bought out by Intrepid. They where an amazing company focused on just Africa. We all had the same tents Back then!

000327380009.jpg000327370172.jpg000327410111.jpg000327410237.jpg

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
I think we even had similar tents with Dragoman back then too! I bought a big Swag from Zim Canvas though... Liked my own space away from the Pax! Wish I'd kept it though, and not sold it onto another incoming driver! :(

philcia

I think we even had similar tents with Dragoman back then too! I bought a big Swag from Zim Canvas though... Liked my own space away from the Pax! Wish I'd kept it though, and not sold it onto another incoming driver! :(

Small world. What years did you work for Dragoman? I was with Guerba from 89 to 91. We had a seat over the cab that made into a bed. I used to love sleeping there if it wasn’t buggy. Away from the PAX and above all lighting. The stars at night in the Sahara where truly amazing. I even trained some of my PAX to climb the ladder and bring me a coffee in bed in the morning!

Found a pic. You can see 3 PAX sitting in the seat / bed, over the cab.
030783D6-A5F6-420B-A7E3-FD043ACD0CC1.jpeg

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Gawd! Memories! Didn't know those companies continued into the '90's. I used to see them in the '70's and always marvelled that they ever made it, as the drivers tended to be learning only one step ahead of the passengers. The Siafu group that we saw in Kano had been broken down in the desert for a fortnight and several of the passengers were bailing. Hard enough trips without shepherding a dozen folks.

Braver men than I am! ;)

I really admired the Rotel folk - all of Africa and a Pullman bed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke