MB 1928 AF for an overlander

estelizo

Hello,
Looking for information about truck MB 1928AF , Engine OM 422.
My plan is to turn it into an overlander truck.
I am not very familiar with this model and I want your inputs.
Thanks in advance.

Joe917

Explorer
Welcome, we have a MB917AF OM366. Mercedes trucks make great overland platforms. The 1928AF will be quite stiff, you will probably have to soften the suspension, but a good base vehicle. Have you made the purchase or are you looking?

estelizo

Welcome, we have a MB917AF OM366. Mercedes trucks make great overland platforms. The 1928AF will be quite stiff, you will probably have to soften the suspension, but a good base vehicle. Have you made the purchase or are you looking?
Hello and thank you!
Yes, I bought iT!!!!!!
I just could not resist. Any tips I can get, most welcome

Sitec

Adventurer
Hello and welcome! Lets see it then!! ;) So, dependant on what age it is, you will probably have Hub Reduction Axles front and back (big 10 bolt plate in the middle of the wheel). These are solid over engineered axles and can cope with anything! The V8 is a big lazy unstressed engine with seperate cylinder heads making for simple head gasket changes (if needed). The cab is a decent size and (dependant on age) quite comfortable. If the truck has had a rough past then you'll have to check everything. If not, it'll be a case of service it, steam clean it and put your box on top! We have a 1222A so similar size and looks, but smaller V6 engine. What wheelbase have you got? 4.3m is working well for us with our 'day cab' and 6m Hab Box. Good luck with your build, take time, ask lots of questions, and read as many build threads as you can! It's also worth mocking up your planned layout in your house and shed... That way you get a feel for how much space you have, and what will have to go where! :). Remember.... pictures tell a thousand words! :)

terra-exp

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
We do have several models with OM422 and OM442 engine. OM422 are the NG models (New Generation), the OM442 are the SK (heavy class) models. Check our website there are some information about the trucks. Let me know if you need some support.
www.terra-exp.com

Attachments

• 1226 doka1.JPG
    1226 doka1.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 14291.jpeg
    14291.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1226 l3.JPG
    1226 l3.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics