MB 1120 Coming to America! Purchase, Build and Now Travel!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
For field repairs, a piece of hose slit and clamped with multiple quality clamps over the damaged area can even be semipermanent.

If the damaged area is fairly small, a skilled welder with a tig machine should be able to repair the damaged area easily. Even if the damage is fairly significant, a patch can be made and welding over the area. Obviously make sure that the welder flushes the hose with shield gas during the operation.

If you can find an aeroquip hose dealer, they can often make new for just about any type.

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thank guys, unfortunately due to my "field repair" welding may not be an option. After 2 layers of JB Weld and a fiberglass/resin wrap the thing still leaked (I have had this pipe out 3 times now). Bit of a gobbed up mess now. This company https://www.marisausa.com/, lists Eaton and Aeroquip and are in Vegas. I have had rubber hoses made before but never hard lines, so not sure how common that is. With any luck they will say they can do it and Enterprise car rental will actually have a car available this time.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The glass and epoxy can be removed by heating to 600f typically, if needed. If you need to bond to oil soaked aluminum, an acid etch helps.

You can also try flex lines instead of hard. However you may need more support points.

Geo.Lander

Well we finally made it out of Death Valley, but just barely. When the bearing on the water pump shattered the pulley slid forward. What arrested the forward movement was the aluminum hydraulic lines for the power steering. Well the pulley chewed into both the pressure and return. I looked at them and they did not look perforated (and I was in no position to get new ones) so I did a little reinforcing with JB Weld. Well, soon after we started to drive down Racetrack road the high pressure line ruptured. Not catastrophically but enough to cause issues. We were able to get out of the park and into a town about 45 miles away from Las Vegas. We are once again "camped" and am now trying to look into how to get some new ones fabricated. For some odd reason the EPC is not showing the same pipes that we have, they are not formed the same way, plus I have not been able to find a supplier online for them. They look to be anodized aluminum with compression fittings on 3 out of the 4 ends (2 pipes). Guessing those compression fittings are also metric. Anyone have any ideas? Other than that the coolant pump seemed to work well though my 4 new v-belts are now saturated with ATF so got to redo that project.

Very unfortunate, please keep us updated with the progress. Can't offer much advice I am afraid but if you need some help researching and sourcing parts in the EU let me know!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well I learned something this morning, the high pressure line can be up to 1160 psi (once again Stefan comes thru). If I would have know that I would not even attempted the patch. He came up with a few different scenarios, bend a new pipe (my favorite idea), weld the current pipe (which would be pretty ugly due to my botched repair), splice in a small section with compression fittings (not a bad idea and probably should carry a few of the correct sizes, that would have been nice). Once it hits 7am here I will start calling around.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Compression fittings would be okay as a temp repair, but long term they pose a failure risk in my opinion.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Just talked with All Hose in Vegas. They think they can make up the lines. I just pulled the lines (I am getting really good at this as this is the 4th time) and sent them a picture to try and confirm as we need to rent a car to get there. I also just sent Rob a text about the pipes, though I am guessing he will say just to have them made up (which is probably the fastest way in North America).

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
All Hose came thru and fabricated us a new high pressure line (it did require a bit of massaging to get into place). They did not stock the pipe for the low pressure so they welded up the damaged bit. So all is back together and we are back moving. Since All Hose also stocked metric air fittings I got the bits to connect the truck air to the DC air system (which is of course now leaking, gotta get back under there and see what is going on). Going to hang out at Lake Mead for a couple of days then off south. Here are some Death Valley pics before our pump exploded.

The "Grandstand" at the "Racetrack"
original_c187565f-5ff8-47ac-9c2e-40a6142acb5a_PXL_20201221_205420418.jpg

PXL_20201221_203101757.jpg

And some of the rocks that are off to the races.
PXL_20201221_185908946.jpg

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Been a busy few weeks since our engine mishap. Sorta moved into high touring gear to have a bit of fun. So we made a quick stop at the Hoover Dam and Lake Meade. Did an interesting loop hike to a hot spring and then the next day headed to the Grand Canyon. Some of you may know but hiking down and staying in the canyon is a bit limited. Usually you need bookings well over a year in advance, but we got lucky and got a last minute next day cancellation for a Phantom Ranch cabin. Not cheap or fancy but allowed us to hike to the Colorado, stay the night and then hike back out on a different trail. This was something we have wanted to do (well along with a multi-day backpack in the canyon) since we first visited 25+ years ago. Oh and to add to a great hike when we returned to the truck someone had left us a little surprise, 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of whisky! This was my kind of day :cool:.

Next stop was just outside of Flagstaff, Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater and Waputaki. Walnut canyon has an interesting cliff side trail that wanders among some American Indian cliff dwellings. Sunset Crater is a geologically recent volcanic cone with some cool lava flows. Pretty nice campsite in the national forest right outside of Sunset Crater.
processed.jpg

We then continued to head south and are now just outside of Tuscon is a cool little private campground. We are here visiting sailing friends we have knows and seen in various parts of the world who have also traded their boat in for an RV. They chose a class C so require hookups and better road access. We were turned onto this campground by some new (and so far just by email) overlanding friends. They have a very cool Mercedes bull nose crew cab truck with a composite habitat, https://www.ewaldontour.net/. We will hopefully link up in Mexico.

Since we plan at being at this campground a few days we are having a bunch of packages delivered and will try and knock off a few of the smaller projects. One bigger project we might try and get done is the roof rack/light bar mount. After a bunch of calling around and trying to visit shops I think we may have found someone that might be able to do it. We are meeting up on Monday to find out. Below is a very nice GXV (wouldn't that been nice, just sign a rather large check and pickup this truck) and has a roof rack that I really like. I am thinking about using 2" thin walled (1/8") aluminum tube. I am planning on a 50" single row front light bar, and a 20" single row bar above each door facing right/left. Might even put some cube style ones in facing 45 degrees on each corner. I also want to add an air horn and am thinking that I can pressurize the drivers side tube to act as an air line. Might make a nice clean installation.

thumbnail_403581_1_600.jpg

Oh, you might notice a lack of photos, we recently upgraded to Google Fi (they cover 220 countries including phone and data). Well we signed up for the "unlimited" plan, which after 22gb of data usage they throttle you back to 1980's internet. So for now we are in the penalty box for the next week.

joeblack5

It is good to hear that death valley has not let up on its name..
The last time we were there our jeep toad had the towbar pulled out of the unibody.
Our girls noticed that the jeep was gone during a pee stop. We found it back 500 yards of the road.. beside crossmember and exhaust damage just fine. Very, very lucky.
This was at the intersection saline valley with hunter mountain road.

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_080515_903.jpg
    IMG_20190402_080515_903.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20190402_133436_471.jpg
    IMG_20190402_133436_471.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Alright, so I reused an air line that used to go to the air mast on the old firebox to tie into our DC compressor tank. Well I have learned that is not a good spot. It is now connected just to the right of where the hardline comes in (hardline is just to the left of the air filter. Apparently this is where the pressure relief valve is and ends up emptying the DC tank once the truck system gets to pressure. Anyone have a good idea where I can safely tap into this birds nest of hoses? I want the truck compressor to fill the DC tank and the DC tank to be able to fill the truck tanks (though might not need this).PXL_20210116_195641404_copy_800x600.jpg

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
So after a week of visiting friends and doing a few truck projects (dual 7" lightbar for backup lights, remote electric fuel solenoid to switch tanks, wiring for future cab light bars) the work has started on the cab light bar/roof rack. Using 2" aluminum tube and have several of the bends completed. With any luck we should finish the bending and fitting in the morning and be welding by the afternoon. Once this done will try and tackle the last/smallest under storage box, will be nice as it will form the forward section of the rear wheel on the passenger side. Amazing the amount of dirt that gets chucked up on top of the fuel tanks.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Amazing the amount of dirt that gets chucked up on top of the fuel tanks.

I am still finding Australian dirt in the strangest places. :ROFLMAO: Pulled a full pound out of a body cavity the other day... At least your truck doesn't have to many closed spaces where it can get caught.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
A picture of today's progress. The rack is now tack welded (this pic is about an hour old, all mounting points are tacked). It comes back off tomorrow for finish welding and adding mounts for the lights and horn. Should finish it today, Heather and I will burnish it prior to install. While doing that Tom and I will start the small storage box.

IMG_20210126_181903_555_copy_1044x1044.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior