MB 1120 Coming to America! Purchase, Build and Now Travel!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
I suspect you’ve
checked out the CubCrafters website?
I will admit I know very little about small planes but I am pretty sure I want the side by side seating. Plus the Carbon Cub pricing is a bit steep if we plan on to continue traveling. Although I do not trust "build time" numbers Rans lists the s21 at 500 hours (without paint)! Hopefully in the next month or so I will get to take a look at one. I have seen a few different KitFox airplanes but never a s21.

So, the missing leaf spring showed up today! Now just missing 1 hardware kit, which I can get made locally if need be. The most important bit was the springs. So we are off to a place tomorrow where we can start the swap. Pictures to follow.

thebigblue

Adventurer
First off, great thread and website, I think i have read most of it 2 times over this weekend already! Oww, and last week i just bought a 1991 MB 1120 AF! Here she is, I will take delivery of her next week and probably start a new thread on the project and have a load of questions!

First one, what to do with the water pump and assembly? is there a market for these anywhere? I am based in Norway and the truck was used in the Norwegian fire service

Congrats - regarding the pump, I had to dispose of mine as old metal - no body wanted it. You could get lucky and find someone with a dirt track - it's used for dust-control on dry days :)

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well I "finished" the front parabolic spring/shock upgrade today (I ended up finding the original shocks were dead, so did a quick check and found some Monroe semi shocks that fit, and I could get them overnight). Unfortunately now the front is riding a bit high. The spring pack we got was 4 leaves. Now wondering if we should have just 3, but the amount of work.... Will re-measure our height, maybe we can just lift the rear. We had to remove the factory spacer blocks in the rear when we replaced the rear leaf springs, maybe we need to put them back.

Nice shiny parabolic springs and shocks, tomorrow is the test ride. Luckily there are plenty of corrugated roads around here.
IMG_20201103_151313.jpg

The old springs and shocks, when I removed the load on the springs the leaves popped and separated. The shocks, well they pretty much were not doing anything.
IMG_20201103_152249.jpg

I have to say I am no mechanic, it took me a couple of days to work out how to get the work done with limited tools. The front lug nuts were so tight my 550 ft/lbs impact would not budge them. So the springs were replaced with the wheels on. I do have a "torque multiplier" but had not taken the time to get a 1" drive 27mm socket for it. Ends up a friend made one for me and as of today (when the springs were done) I was able to loosen the lugs (with the multiplier) and torque to the correct amount. Those multipliers are pretty slick, I think mine is 58 to 1.

Not too bad of a place to work on the truck, even had a shade tree for the mechanic and a friendly barn cat.
IMG_20201030_071555.jpg

And another project is nearing completion, the center console has been painted and the lid upholstered, now I just need to do a bit of wiring. We used rattle can bed liner for paint to give it the textured look. We will likely add a fabric pocket on the side for Heather's tablet once we get access to a sewing machine. The square hole in the back is for the remote battery disconnect switch.
IMG_20201103_162939.jpg

So, enough of these projects for a bit. Time to start heading south as the overnight temps have been below freezing. First stop will be the "City of Rocks" in southern Idaho.

Oh yeah, still need to get the engine preheat done. Pretty close on that, with help from Stefan, I am planning on tapping into the top of the head and the block coolant drain plug. Should be a tidy install, I measured for the needed hose today so once I order it up I will get going on it.

C p weinberger

Hope this improves your ride! Corrugated roads suck when truck suspension is not balanced.
Not to be a Debbie downer but how much of your bad ride was possibly just shock absorber related? ?
Great observations/ pics, keep posting !

Joe917

Explorer
When we changed all 6 shocks last year it was like a different truck on corrugated roads. I would get some miles on it and let the springs settle in. Then if you have to go up on the rear spacer.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
The rears did settle out a bit so am hoping the fronts will. Pretty sure the springs were a big part of our ride issue as the ride was pretty rough (a single bump would jar the front), plus there was rust between the leaves that appeared to be preventing movement between the leaves. Plan is to remeasure the truck height today to see how much the rears settled. If the fronts settle an inch and we lift the rear an inch it might just level out the truck.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A 5% of free height settle isn't unusual I am told. Especially on multileaf packs, as there is some internal stiction which relaxes after a bit.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The front lug nuts were so tight my 550 ft/lbs impact would not budge them. So the springs were replaced with the wheels on. I do have a "torque multiplier" but had not taken the time to get a 1" drive 27mm socket for it.

The torque multipliers are slick but sometimes a PITA to use unless you have 3 hands. I replaced mine with a high torque Milwaukee Fuel impact that has no trouble spinning the lug nuts off or even breaking free the pinion nut at 890 ft lb.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2863-20

Joe917

Explorer
The front lug nuts were so tight my 550 ft/lbs impact would not budge them. So the springs were replaced with the wheels on. I do have a "torque multiplier" but had not taken the time to get a 1" drive 27mm socket for it.

The torque multipliers are slick but sometimes a PITA to use unless you have 3 hands. I replaced mine with a high torque Milwaukee Fuel impact that has no trouble spinning the lug nuts off or even breaking free the pinion nut at 890 ft lb.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2863-20
I use the Mercedes stock tire iron and 4' of pipe. That gives me 200 lbs 5' from the nut. Basic galvanized pipe, and it is always charged!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Good news, we took the truck for a drive on the local corrugated roads. The ride was way better, no problem doing 30mph. Then when we got back the springs had settled down a bit. So as of now the truck looks way better. If they settle just a bit more then no changed would be needed. I do have 25mm lift blocks for the rear of needed.

So tommorow starts our trip south!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
So the trip south has begun and I have to say our new "Velvet Ride" springs are an enormous improvement from the old originals. We are very pleased with the change and it was worth the expense and effort. Now onto the trip south. We are now traveling with some friends we met sailing in the South Pacific. They built a new Sprinter 4WD while we were building our truck, fun to be traveling with friends.

Heather enjoying the view at our campsite on the rim of the "Little Grand Canyon" in Utah
IMG_20201113_163636.jpg

Drone shot camping near Goblin State Park
Photo_6553641_DJI_41_jpg_4594535_0_20201110165828_photo_original~2.jpg

The "Goblins" at Goblin State Park
IMG_20201110_110809.jpg

Abusing the folding Dahon's, we really need to get some folding mtb (looking at FlatBikes now, though wish I could see one in person first)
IMG_20201113_141220.jpg

IMG_20201112_155058.jpg

Indian art at Buckthorn Wash
IMG_20201112_161303.jpg

Now the not so good news, seems we are having some sort of battery/charging problem. Still haven't zeroed in on the problem but it may just be the LifePO4 battery pack has issues. I plan on checking each cell in the morning with a multi-meter. If it is the batteries it would really be an issue as we just started a 1month trip with our friends, been looking forward to this for a while.

Geo.Lander

So the trip south has begun and I have to say our new "Velvet Ride" springs are an enormous improvement from the old originals. We are very pleased with the change and it was worth the expense and effort. Now onto the trip south. We are now traveling with some friends we met sailing in the South Pacific. They built a new Sprinter 4WD while we were building our truck, fun to be traveling with friends.

Heather enjoying the view at our campsite on the rim of the "Little Grand Canyon" in Utah
View attachment 624801

Drone shot camping near Goblin State Park
View attachment 624802

The "Goblins" at Goblin State Park
View attachment 624803

Abusing the folding Dahon's, we really need to get some folding mtb (looking at FlatBikes now, though wish I could see one in person first)
View attachment 624804

View attachment 624805

Indian art at Buckthorn Wash
View attachment 624806

Now the not so good news, seems we are having some sort of battery/charging problem. Still haven't zeroed in on the problem but it may just be the LifePO4 battery pack has issues. I plan on checking each cell in the morning with a multi-meter. If it is the batteries it would really be an issue as we just started a 1month trip with our friends, been looking forward to this for a while.

Please please don't buy fat bikes ? get some 29er trail bikes and you will be smiling all day long! Fat bikes have too many shortcomings and you guys seem full of finesse and able to ride proper trails on real bikes! I may know not know ******** about trucks but if you need ski and bike recommendations I'm your guy, PM me about the MTB thing please!
*pic is Thea riding one of our fav trails above our cabin in Valdres, Norway

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Please please don't buy fat bikes ? get some 29er trail bikes and you will be smiling all day long! Fat bikes have too many shortcomings and you guys seem full of finesse and able to ride proper trails on real bikes! I may know not know ******** about trucks but if you need ski and bike recommendations I'm your guy, PM me about the MTB thing please!
*pic is Thea riding one of our fav trails above our cabin in Valdres, Norway
Not Fat Bikes, Flat Bikes ?. https://flatbike.com/product/812/ they are folding mtb. Pretty much need to fold to get them to fit in our gear locker. Always a compromise living in a small space.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Found our electrical issue. Ended up the negative battery post nut had loosened. It is an aircraft style lock nut, the ones with the plastic insert. Going to work on strapping the batteries down tighter. Glad to get that fixed, it was causing a lot of issues. Off to Arches National Park for a bit of touring today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior