MB 1120 Coming to America! Purchase, Build and Now Travel!

Sitec

Adventurer
Great progress. I second keeping an eye on EGT's after opening the pump up. The truck drivers here live by their EGT gauges here as a lot of the road trains are pushing north of 700hp with well tuned engines. They say 600-650 deg c are the max figures they go to. Much hotter and things start to fail.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would say 670C for a minute, 650 for several minutes, and 620 sustained.

Have you considered an oil sump temperature gauge? Since the pistons receive a lot of cooling from the oil, high engine stress often shows up quicker in the oil. Sump Oil temps 40C above coolant wouldn't be unusual, though much higher would be of concern.

With all that extra air due to higher boost and lower exhaust back pressure (comparatively), You should be able to safely run the HP numbers mentioned.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Keep a eye on exhaust gas temp on long climbs after you turn the injection pump up.
Yup, I will not turn the pump up until I get the EGT installed. Several others have already done this upgrade and I have been told they don't see more than 650, usually lower. Once it is installed I will drive the truck prior to adjusting the pump to see what the temps are before to compare to after. Plus I feel I really need to get the higher capacity radiator in, really wish it wouldn't have arrived damaged, and to boot it was on back order for a couple of months, and they are telling me it is back on back order...

I would say 670C for a minute, 650 for several minutes, and 620 sustained.

Have you considered an oil sump temperature gauge? Since the pistons receive a lot of cooling from the oil, high engine stress often shows up quicker in the oil. Sump Oil temps 40C above coolant wouldn't be unusual, though much higher would be of concern.

With all that extra air due to higher boost and lower exhaust back pressure (comparatively), You should be able to safely run the HP numbers mentioned.
Not a bad idea, I'll look into what it would take to add one. Of course I will need to search out where I can safely tap into the oil.

RoamIt

New turbo install looks great! I may have missed this, but have you done anything on the air intake side of things?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I can safely tap into the oil.

A surface mount probe on the pan would probably work fine. I have seen dipstick replacement probes, but not as clean to use. A oil temp sensor in the oil gallery before the cooler could work as well. Some folks like to view the oil temp after the cooler, but that will mask high oil temps if you have good coolant temps.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
New turbo install looks great! I may have missed this, but have you done anything on the air intake side of things?
The original factory intake is 2 large cylindrical air filters leading to a 4" metal tube. The old turbo had about a 2" intake so there was a tapered metal bit that reduced the 4" down to 2". Part of this mod is to cut that tapered bit off and weld on a 4" pipe (used exhaust pipe) then a 4" 45 degree silicone elbow to the turbo. This truck (and I think this is true with most of them) has a indicator on the dash to indicate when your air filters need to be replaced. I believe there is a pickup tube after the air filters that goes to the dash gauge. I watched this gauge when I revved to higher revs, it didn't budge. So either air restriction is not a problem or the gauge is broken (I do change the filters regularly so have never seen it move). This swap has been done a few times in Europe, and so far I have not heard or seen of a change to the air intake other than what I just mentioned. Once I get the boost gauge installed I can see how much boost it is producing, from other reports it should be in the mid 20's.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The 650C will be OK for an EGT provided the sensor is in the manifold before the turbo, after the turbo expect 100-150C lower. I've found that winding up the boost on my OM352A lowers the EGT, especially if you have an intercooler.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
We crossed back into Baja about a week ago and spent a few days at Rancho Bellota (Raul is a fantastic host). Went on a couple of trail rides, shared a couple of meals, and drank some tequila. Now we are a bit farther south camped on the beach in a nature preserve, very quiet and peaceful here. Since we were heading across some soft sand to get here we aired down. Since I have yet to add valve stem extenders to our rear rims I need to crawl under the truck to get to the stems. While under there I noticed one our new Marquart shocks is leaking oil (I have emailed them and think they will offer to send a replacement). These were installed about a month ago and have mostly pavement driving on them. I think it went on our drive into this beach site as the oil is fresh. A bit disappointing. Guess my search for high quality serviceable (these shocks are not serviceable, just what I thought were the best I could find) shocks continues.

PXL_20211110_190931097_copy_1512x2016.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
If you are serious about purchasing a high-quality serviceable damper for a big truck you are going to be looking at something from a company such as Reiger, Radflo, Ohlins or maybe ADS. Further down the line are King and Fox. Neither are as good as they used to me according to friends in the industry who have recently dealt with both companies on customer builds.

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Ouch! Certainly looks like a leak as I don't see any other oil that might have been blown onto the shock. What is that scar?

RoamIt

Sorry to hear! I was going to go with those shocks. Hopefully they will replace with no expense to you.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks for the leads on other shock suppliers. Most I have talked with will not do a 20mm bolt or even a 16mm. Hopefully this was a fluke, I will give them a second shot. If the second fails I will start again looking.

Not sure what that scratch is, may have happened in shipping. Haven't hit anything I am aware of. Pretty sure it is shock oil as it is only on the lower half of the shock, nothing on the top cover. Marquart immediately said they would replace the shock, just need to figure out how to get it to Mexico... Being optimistic I am hoping it was a transient leak.

And just to finish, this is not getting me down too much, this is our view from our camp site ?. Not too bad of a place to enjoy a beer while watching the sunset.
PXL_20211112_004940571_copy_1024x768.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
We had all 6 shocks on our 917AF replaced in Chile with Munroe shocks. Changed the truck completely, the old shocks were done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior