Mazda CX-5 GTR/Signature or Toyota Rav4 Adventure/TRD

clarence2

I would NOT take it off ANY road. Clearer?

By "all-road," I mean all roads (paved, gravel, Forest Service/logging, two-tracks, trails rated 1-3), not off-road (except beach, salt flats).

A touring car that'll get me to the trailhead and allow me to explore a bit.

OP, ever get any pics? Or do tires?

Still waiting on the wheels. ETA now July. Grr.

I'll take a pic then.

Blije77684

I'm not sure about the '17+ CX-5 but the '13-'16.5 CX-5 still has 8.5" of ground clearance. I've had plenty of lifted wheel moments off-road with that rig ('15 CX-5 GT AWD). It actually does pretty good for what it is.

I have a '12 GX 460 as well.

clarence2

That's good to hear, Blije.

Unfortunately, the 2017+ cars lost an inch of clearance (to 7.5").

Did gain "Off-Road Traction Assist" (essentially an electronic rear differential lock) in 2020 though.

Looks good! Have you gotten a chance to take it on dirt/caliche yet? If not, there are some good roads in the area between Llano and Menard that should be easy to get to.

I tried both the CX5 and the RAV4, and the leg/shoulder room ruled them both out as an option, so I wound up in an Outback.

clarence2

Visited Terlingua/Big Bend several weeks ago.

Did great on the washboard gravel roads. Even better on the highway.

Really happy with the balance.

clarence2

Only slightly larger OD (235/55 > 225/55).

Could have gone with a smaller wheel (I know some CX-5 owners who have), but wasn't willing to give up any sidewall performance.

I went with 235/55 because I wanted the V (149mph) and XL (Extra Load) ratings over H (130mph) and SL (Standard Load).

To support running at higher speeds, V-rated tires will have a stiffer sidewall and slightly firmer ride than H-rated tires. For normal driving conditions the H-rated tire will provide a more comfortable ride and the V-rated should give slightly better handling.

An XL tyre lasts longer than a SL tyre when driving in similar conditions. These tyres have a reinforced design and offer protection against internal and external damage. The rigidity of the tire ensures better road grip and cornering ability.

Falken does offer a 255/55 (V, XL) that would have fit, but too heavy. As it is, I dropped 5lbs per corner (the Rays 10lbs lighter than OEM).

clarence2

Couldn't be happier with it.

Just back from golfing in AZ (30hrs RT): fast, stable, smooth, quiet.

And should be fine driving the TX coast beaches in a couple weeks.

Really looking forward to visiting family in MN next winter and driving in snow.

Grassland

Just following up again to see how you are enjoying the CUV?
Any fun pics of it?
What has fuel economy been like with the skids and AT tires?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles