Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 tires

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Without hijacking the thread too bad.

Redline, I just read through your blog and noticed in the pics you have Centramatics on your hubs. Whats your opinion on them and do you still do traditional balancing or just let the centramatics do it all for you?

did you notice a ride difference when you first installed them?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
I contacted maxxis and they said with the 255/85-16 being a heavier load range its more of a work truck tire so the compound of the tire is more stiff and should last a longer in regards to mileage. But in the same email when I asked about more details on the tire, he just responded with a direct copy from the tire specs page. :coffee:

I also asked them if they had load capacities in deflating increments. Nope.

Heavier load range than what? Were you BFGs load-range C?

Their reply sounds like a standard reply from someone reading a screen, someone who likely has little field knowledge about tires and/or these treads in particular.

The LR D 255/85 Bighorns are a stout tire, but the sidewalls and tread offer about average stiffness for a load-range D. If anything I'd say the tread/compound is on the softer side, meaning they offer good grip and conform to terrain well when properly deflated.

Mileage will be short-ish, it's a soft, grippy tire.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Heavier load range than what? Were you BFGs load-range C?

Their reply sounds like a standard reply from someone reading a screen, someone who likely has little field knowledge about tires and/or these treads in particular.

The LR D 255/85 Bighorns are a stout tire, but the sidewalls and tread offer about average stiffness for a load-range D. If anything I'd say the tread/compound is on the softer side, meaning they offer good grip and conform to terrain well when properly deflated.

Mileage will be short-ish, it's a soft, grippy tire.

Yes, my current BFGs in 33x10.50x15 are a Load range C. For the Suburban I definitely need D or even E. Those weights are at max pressure and as you air down the tires load capacity drops but you knew this. I do agree though, I think its some guy just reading what he has on the screen, which pretty much sounds like the exact screen i look at.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...Redline, I just read through your blog and noticed in the pics you have Centramatics on your hubs. Whats your opinion on them and do you still do traditional balancing or just let the centramatics do it all for you?

did you notice a ride difference when you first installed them?

The poor neglected blog...will it every ride again? ;)

Centramatics are used and work on the F350 because they clear/fit, not on my Toyotas. That set has been on the Ford for several years.

They can be a little clunky in the winter when the oil medium is cold on this infrequently driven truck.

They do work. I've tested and used them a few times without any additional wheel weight added to new tires. They can be challenged by a setup that is 'way out', my neighbor has a set on his '03 F350 but he had a bad tire/wheel combo (a bad sample Toyo M55 with a steel wheel) that the Centramatics were not able to completely correct.

Ideally the balancers work best and I prefer to have the tires/wheels balanced when mounted, then the Centramatics will continually fine tune/perfectly balance the rolling assemblies.

The down-the-highway results are a near perfectly balanced rolling tire & wheel, as much as possible on this old school truck.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yes, my current BFGs in 33x10.50x15 are a Load range C. For the Suburban I definitely need D or even E. Those weights are at max pressure and as you air down the tires load capacity drops but you knew this. I do agree though, I think its some guy just reading what he has on the screen, which pretty much sounds like the exact screen i look at.

Your opinion may be different, and sometimes I do want/need a load-range E tire (plus that's the way most heavy-duty tires are made these days)... but I have no problem running a load-range D tread on my F350, even when loaded and/or pulling a heavy trailer.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
No I would be perfectly happy with a D range but when you are aired down to 20 psi it would be nice to know the tire can still stay close to the load you are carrying.

hamr26

Observer
Has anyone ever noticed different sized tread blocks from tire to tire within the same size? I purchased 5 Bighorn MTs, 255/85R16, last November for my weekend-only LJ Rubicon. Looking at the truck the treads seem the same but somewhat unequal. I dismissed it as illusion. Yesterday I got out a tape measure and made sure. Two of my five have longer central tread blocks. I am going to talk to the shop where I purchased them and sort this outTreadblocks.jpg

Fargo

Adventurer
Has anyone ever noticed different sized tread blocks from tire to tire within the same size? I purchased 5 Bighorn MTs, 255/85R16, last November for my weekend-only LJ Rubicon. Looking at the truck the treads seem the same but somewhat unequal. I dismissed it as illusion. Yesterday I got out a tape measure and made sure. Two of my five have longer central tread blocks. I am going to talk to the shop where I purchased them and sort this outView attachment 171734

Spin your tire about half a turn and I bet they match up! I don't have BigHorns, but must modern tires have different sized lugs as you go around the tire. I believe this is done to help the tires run quieter. So before you go to the tire shop, take a look all the way around the tire. Chances are your tread blocks will change size on each tire as you go around the tire.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
If what Fargo says DOESNT pan out, try taking a look at the manufacture dates and lot info molded into the sidewall...Would be interesting to see if the "oddities" match up to dates or lot numbers...

hamr26

Observer
Fargo:
There is truth in what you are saying. I can find series of different length center tread blocks in the tires. It may just be the indexing of one tire to another when viewed (from front or rear). It is probably just an optical illusion. I worked as a tire installer through high school and after for years and have never seen a tread the changed block size in the center relative to the circumference.
such as: xxxxxXXXxxxxxXXXxxxxxXXXxxxxx
I may be crazy...

Azrunner27

Observer
Price$$

Just wondering what prices people are paying for these as of late? specifically 255/85/16's . Seems they have jumped up quite a bit. At lease here locally in AZ. Thanks for the input.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I looked at some locally and they have gotten expensive at Les Schawb, but tires are pricey there. I see them online for around 200 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94