MaxxFan Exhaust fan location- Feedback needed.

Raul

Adventurer
I am receiving a MaxxFan 5100K tomorrow and will be installing it this weekend. I've read a lot about how quiet they are while running, but I've not been able to find any comments about the aerodynamic noise.

How much wind noise do you get when driving?

I am planning to install it on the center, above the second or third row seats. Will this be annoying for the people sitting there?

I have rear pop-out windows that I need to install with the idea that the air will move from the rear doors to the exhaust fan, over the sleeping area.
fans.JPG

Thanks

Last edited:

RC000E

I just installed ours and I don't hear anything from it at all. I've got some other action on the roof disrupting airflow though also. When down they sit pretty low and have a pretty nice aero shape to them; I don't suspect you'd have issues. I installed mine in this video here, about midway through if you want to see where I was approximately. I put it mid-van.

Raul

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply.

I pulled the trigger and did the hole above the third row seats. Finishing the install this afternoon, hopefully as we have rain coming for the weekend.

Here is the mandatory head shot.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.jpg
    IMG_3690.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 29

luthj

Engineer In Residence
These fans are usually pretty quiet when rolling down the road. You may find that some vehicles will have turbulent flow on the roof which can sometimes make the fan rattle. If this happens there are few things you can do to fix it.

Make sure you install a good backing material. As the fan is kind of heavy, sometimes it can cause the roof to flex eventually cracking the plastic mounting flange.

Raul

Adventurer
Very good point about the weight damaging the flange if not properly backed up. I can see also the air pushing it backwards as you drive. I plan to frame the inside with 2x1" wood strips. The longitudinal ends will reach the roof cross member and will be bolted to them. Cutting two of the creases has decreased the strength of that portion of the roof. from a structural point of view I should have installed a little bit off center, that way I would have only cut one crease. At the end keeping the symmetry inside took priority.

RC000E

I agree, that framing the inside may be necessary. I was very aggressive with sealing, sealant tape, etc. I self tapped the vent to the roof but I think the roof flexes enough that it's going to compromise the seal over time. I will end up framing the inside with thin furring strips or similar myself, for structure.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That should work just fine I think. The hard part is getting a good surface with the ribs. I think Hein makes an adapter.

i bike

That should work just fine I think. The hard part is getting a good surface with the ribs. I think Hein makes an adapter.

He does indeed. Got mine off EBay. Put my fan as far back as I could to maximize circulation. I don’t cook in the van, FYI.
fc4a465ef5c638e66cdfc250d0cf63c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyuna

Observer
I only get noise when on rough roads and on the highway.

Ive got a Wind deflector i have to fit to see if it helps, other than that i'll line a piece of foam with the curtain material and clip it on during highway driving

overall its a great fan, its loud on high speeds, but with two you will get good ventilation on slower speeds.

Raul

Adventurer
Fan installed. I does produced some noise but not too bad from the driver seat. I haven't have anyone sitting on the back yet. No house batteries or electric panel yet so no testing on the fan itself.

IMG_3706.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks for the reply.

I pulled the trigger and did the hole above the third row seats. Finishing the install this afternoon, hopefully as we have rain coming for the weekend.

Here is the mandatory head shot.

Thank you for following protocol. Per forum rules 6.B, subsection 11: "All roof penetrations larger than 10" square must be accompanied by a selfie."

DeIw_1UkaRyLpc4g0pm-ouhDxQEuK1PmgkOc56e3qyAylvTyI7kjqwTYxBr07JeXatwtKO9vPzGsF9AcwAWT09Haf4Qi6KVd2BMyjb_aNEOlryqDl_XXcEwLite-81QuDh37c0cpKhqKrw_-Epag7h4-ZArYD0ggDeDfBwnY9vbbwcysKyEJJkP6zabo5v2voW_CEi3NWaEjcSdc_xgPzUlZfE9hnECsBrhD9RU5p8G4di1D9moFhc6DpKegUgEQD5Si3zXWQEIJpB12KPUkk2kjs2mO-T1anRaB0pnDJdKP-69XotDvuyByG-x68aPMfZxmiytxxUKb4zWTwIVmjGQeAUbPhIKsuYVJ8mK--aHd7xQfOt625Nbc3Sj_pCcMww20K6J1SzxXonLcPMrNB34MT8hUAhEmXMxO95w-T_hiy9t4VoMg_KZtQLXdtW-Fn6ER159KdqCde-HED0Ir7GaNX9g3ODyiYhGy2sY2dE1nmaujM7v3vY5iUKVS9PboIafaThxsTHhFe87jlHYFzBdFwkZ68LfwH8iQi2S4pgz0mYFUcPv-6ipRPTMjdRKr-sBWY2o9FyFfn_AlUt84gHEBfK3RKK3KFIOl8TRvQS5Ffsk8SuM5KW4u09TBecke2nRM3oZyp7PsBm0rqkFWIKJ29i0DhtVN4g=w400

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94