Maxtrax vs X-bull

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
This isn’t a question thread or even a comparison in usage (yet). It’s just an observation based on having a new set of each. Having recently bought a 4x4 Class C camper that I expect to have fairly limited off road capability and recovery options, I decided to buy traction boards. I wanted four, but couldn’t swallow $600 for two sets of maxtrax. I believe they are better and long term more durable but it was hard to do. My logic was that I was likely to use one pair more frequently than needing all four, so I’d get one “good” set and an inexpensive set for the rarer occasions that I might need them.

Now that both are here, you can immediately feel a difference. Maxtrax are heavier, enough so that you feel it even when you don’t compare side by side. The material is also coarser giving the impression of more fiber in the matrix. I’m not sure if that’s true, because that’s what I suspect based on the different performance displayed in tests I’ve seen.

So anyway, initial impressions are that the maxtrax are a higher quality item.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I too always thought the Maxtrax were the "gold standard" for traction boards. Still do. If I were going to be gone for months and months at a time, or to another country, I would definitely get two sets of Maxtrax (at about $600) with no regrets. I've never read anything bad about them. When you're stuck and needing to use them, suddenly what you paid for them isn't what you're thinking about. If $600 doesn't make you think twice, get'm.

However I am not a full-time overlander. Maybe one or two long(er) trips a year (a couple weeks at a time) and a few long-weekend trips. I've got lockers, and a winch. I can't justify the $600 either, so I went with four X-Bulls at $150 for two pair. I've had them for a few years now, used them a couple times (twice?) and they've done fine. The reviews I've read about the X-Bulls and my personal observations makes me think they're the next best option if you can't afford the Maxtrax.

I like your idea of the "good set" and the inexpensive set. I never thought of that - it makes sense.

Too bad you can't buy two sets of Maxtrax on the installment plan ($100/month x 6 months, $75/month x 8 months, or $50/month x 12 months) to get two sets of the Maxtrax once you're done - for some reason I could justify doing that. I'd have something to look forward to every couple months - another Maxtrax showing up at the door.

Shovel.2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94