Maxtrax vs TRED vs Tracmats vs X-Trax vs X-Jack

texascrane

Adventurer
And Thank you!!! Just ordered a set of yellows also. Was looking at these on another site and for $105 shipped I had to do it.

Same here. I just ordered a set in Yellow. Generally speaking, I would prefer the Maxtrax, but with TREDs at $105 I just can't justify spending 3x the money for them.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
And Thank you!!! Just ordered a set of yellows also. Was looking at these on another site and for $105 shipped I had to do it.

Once Summit is out, TRED will be pretty much done in the US. The pricing, IF Summit brings them back will be close to the price of the Maxtrax. It was a great product but once Summit bought up TJM, that was pretty much the death knell for them.

cactusjk

Explorer
Once Summit is out, TRED will be pretty much done in the US. The pricing, IF Summit brings them back will be close to the price of the Maxtrax. It was a great product but once Summit bought up TJM, that was pretty much the death knell for them.

Glad I got some TREDS from Sierra Expeditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Used my TJM TREDs for the first time when I actually needed them (have done testing before but was never stuck). It was in the mountains and about 20" of packed snow covering the trail. The trail drops and crosses about 4 different creeks throughout the first two miles. Well the moving water of the creeks do not freeze, instead the shores become 13-20" ice shelves with steep inclines on both sides. The first two creek crossings were relatively calm and I was able to straight drive through the first one. The second one took some negotiating but I got through it. The third creek comes up. I went into the creek at a slight angle so I could turn to get straight rubber for the shelf exiting the creek. My AT3's would not catch an edge so I backed up and decided to try the TREDs as little ramps. I stacked some rocks underneath where I was to place the TRED board and made sure to place them as solidly as possible. I tried easing onto them but either the tires wouldn't catch (happens consistently with the boards) or the board would just shoot underneath the tire and give me no forward movement. So I backed up, reset the boards and would try them with a slight bit of speed (we are talking about 3 mph). Hit both boards right down the middle and hear a large snap as the rear tires are going over them. As I check them, they are still in the same position and solid, but about a third of one of the boards shattered off and was sitting at the bottom of the creek, also, stress cracks we covering the board. Looking at the other one it had large cracks that went through the entire board.

Needless to say these boards are not for any sort of bridging operation unless you are in a hot climate (perhaps the plastic would be malleable then). The two boards are completely ruined now as a result of me needing them. In my experience these boards do not let my AT3's catch except maybe 1/10 times and would only be useable in mud or sand where there is a surface to give great resistance to the boards to keep them from moving. They are not something I would look at again. I will be giving MAXTRAX a try next time around.

YMMV, but I hope you don't have to learn the difficult way as I did.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Used my TJM TREDs for the first time when I actually needed them (have done testing before but was never stuck). It was in the mountains and about 20" of packed snow covering the trail. The trail drops and crosses about 4 different creeks throughout the first two miles. Well the moving water of the creeks do not freeze, instead the shores become 13-20" ice shelves with steep inclines on both sides. The first two creek crossings were relatively calm and I was able to straight drive through the first one. The second one took some negotiating but I got through it. The third creek comes up. I went into the creek at a slight angle so I could turn to get straight rubber for the shelf exiting the creek. My AT3's would not catch an edge so I backed up and decided to try the TREDs as little ramps. I stacked some rocks underneath where I was to place the TRED board and made sure to place them as solidly as possible. I tried easing onto them but either the tires wouldn't catch (happens consistently with the boards) or the board would just shoot underneath the tire and give me no forward movement. So I backed up, reset the boards and would try them with a slight bit of speed (we are talking about 3 mph). Hit both boards right down the middle and hear a large snap as the rear tires are going over them. As I check them, they are still in the same position and solid, but about a third of one of the boards shattered off and was sitting at the bottom of the creek, also, stress cracks we covering the board. Looking at the other one it had large cracks that went through the entire board.

Needless to say these boards are not for any sort of bridging operation unless you are in a hot climate (perhaps the plastic would be malleable then). The two boards are completely ruined now as a result of me needing them. In my experience these boards do not let my AT3's catch except maybe 1/10 times and would only be useable in mud or sand where there is a surface to give great resistance to the boards to keep them from moving. They are not something I would look at again. I will be giving MAXTRAX a try next time around.

Dang it. That sucks. I was gonna order a set. What is the warranty on them? Any free replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JHa6av8r

Adventurer

Pretty sure I've read in the reviews of all the boards they're not intended for bridging.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Anyone having trouble getting MAXTRAX? Go to dirtcircusoffroad.com they took good care of me. Actually had them in stock, along with the mounting pins AND free shipping!

Lt Dan

Observer
SummitRacing gave me a coupon code for $20 off on orders over $100. PM if you want it for your order...

PM sent if your interested in sharing I would appreciate it.

Like others have said, hard to beat the price of the TRED.

Thank You

landsharkman

Adventurer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online