Maxtrax vs TRED vs Tracmats vs X-Trax vs X-Jack

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have an X-Jack, a shovel and these OKoffroad Sand Ladders

sandladders-aluminum-48-1.jpg

cactusjk

Explorer
I lost track of the Maxtrax bs Tred discussion. What is the current consensus between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I lost track of the Maxtrax bs Tred discussion. What is the current consensus between the two?

No idea about consensus... there probably isn't any. FWIW, here is my personal experience:

I needed some self recovery equipment and MAXTRAX or TREDs looked like a reasonable way to go. Less expensive then a winch, no install needed, low tech and probably less likely to hurt myself during a recovery. As I started doing research, it seemed like MAXTRAX have an edge in mind share, but TREDs looked really good also and are half the price. Ordered up while on special from Sierra Expeditions (great customer service, highly recommended) and I was not disappointed when they arrived... burly, seemed really tough. I went with the smaller ones, the TRED 800s, two pair (I drive a JKU)... the price would have gotten me 1 pair of MAXTRAX. Within a month of arrival, they earned their keep twice. First time saved me (actually my buddy) some serious digging out of deep sand. He was pretty damn stuck. Place the TREDs in front of each tire and boom he was up and out. I did have to dig around to find one of the TREDs, but that is what a leash is for. The second time, again soft deep sand. I was too close to the edge of the trail and I just kind of sank into a tree. Oops. 1 tire had no contact, jeep was pinned against the tree so we placed the TREDs down under the 3 tires that could benefit and I was out in a snap. Didn't even thrash my paint (though I did lose a tail light). I'm really confident that TREDs are a great tool for the conditions I'm likely to encounter: sand, mud and snow. I don't leave home without them. I'm equally confident that MAXTRAX would have done the job also. I prefer the design of the MAXTRAX as they stack (nest) together more compactly, but it just wasn't enough for the cost of entry.

Subspd

Adventurer
I just got a pair of the Maxsas. They popped up on my wife's Amazon "what about these?" Notice. Seem nice enough. The proof will be in the performance so for now they'll go in the recovery kit. Still trying to figure out how I want to mount them in our JKUS.
Any updates on these?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Any updates on these?

Used once, worked as advertized. They did not self destruct, implode, cause the end of the free world. For mounting I ended up getting a net shelf for the rear, the Maxsas sit on top, easy to get to and easy to re-stow. For the price for a pair, I don't think they can be beat.

Subspd

Adventurer
Awesome! I ordered a pair and will try mounting them either to my rear ladder or on the roof. Should be here in two days...

DaVikes

Adventurer
Used once, worked as advertized. They did not self destruct, implode, cause the end of the free world. For mounting I ended up getting a net shelf for the rear, the Maxsas sit on top, easy to get to and easy to re-stow. For the price for a pair, I don't think they can be beat.

Any idea how well they will work as a ramp/bridge? Were you stuck in sand or somewhere rockier? The Maxsas look like they would be fine in sand, I'm just not sure how they would do in rockier areas where I travel. The website doesn't shed much light. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles