MAXTRAX vs Smittybilt Element traction devices

digitaldelay

Explorer
Found this thread yesterday, purchased the Smittybilt ramps today. In stock at a local 4x4 shop; $175 CDN.

Thanks for doing this review, guys!

Jason

dr350jja

Observer
Just curious to see how many others may have used the Smittybilt Element traction devices, with satisfactory results. Personally, I think for sand, snow, or mud, they should be OK. I wouldn't want to use them as a bridging ladder.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I happened to have had both models in my garage - brand new. I have not used either yet but just looking at it, it seems obvious that the Maxtrax is better built.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I haven't seen Maxtrax in person, but I can confirm some very sharp plastic edges on my Smittybilts. They came with a nice carry case, though. I will also be sure to wear gloves when handling them.

Jason

chuppie

Observer
I was going to buy the Smittybilts from Amazon. There were 6 reviews, 5 were 1 star and all complained of cracking the first time they used them. The one 5 star review was somebody's mother who gave them as a gift and never used them. I need to rethink this. They seem to fail in the cold and are made in China according to the reviewers.

Rick

digitaldelay

Explorer
Hey, I finally got to use my Element ramps the other day. Urban snow recovery of a GMC Envoy. Worked like a charm and sure beat shovelling or hooking up a strap!

Jason

digitaldelay

Explorer
Chalk up another urban snow recovery for the Smittybilts. This time, a Dodge Journey FWD. I noticed a small crack in the front of one of the ramps after using it to hack away some ice chunks. Oops, lesson learned.

It's funny, when a vehicle drives over them it makes a horrible crunching noise (on snow, at least). Each time, I expect to be left with a million bits of green plastic. Nope, just bang 'em off and back in the case, good as new.

Jason

rody

Money for money i'll choose SB and i bought them for half the price of MT and in bonus they give me a carrying bag :).First time i use them in the mud , i scrub the teeth on the end du to spinning weel . I fix the problem by adding bolt , washer and nut at the end of the ramp . Now they grip , dont need to dig in the front of the weel . For now i can afford buying a good winch(a must)i plant to buy a other set of SB . 4 weel , 4 ramp . :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke