MaxTrax-- two pair?

bcrez

Adventurer
Since I am waiting until I can afford new suspension to get a front winch bumper/ winch I have been reviewing alternative recovery solutions. One being MaxTrax.

They seem very capable, but I always see them used on all four wheels. Since they come in a pair I was curious if two pair are necessary? Has anyone used Max Trax extensively (or at all) with just one set?

Unfortunately the FAQ section of the Max Trax website does not address this question.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
The gearing front/rear has to match up if you want to use them in 4x4 mode. That might be why you haven't seen any used on just one axle.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
MAXTRAX work well on lust 2 wheels, but better on 4 for extra grip when needed. If in 4WD and with 2 sets you can always put them on the 'power wheels' (usually the rear right, and front left).

Cheers,

gabepari

Explorer
The gearing front/rear has to match up if you want to use them in 4x4 mode. That might be why you haven't seen any used on just one axle.

I think you might have these...

db_Customer0221.jpg

confused with these...

maxtrax-using.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader

If your front and rear gears don't match you have bigger problems than needing a second set of egg crates.:elkgrin:

landy89

Observer
two maxtrax are great, and four is spectacular. Of all the sand lander / waffle board type solutions, maxtrax is the vastly superior product. If you have the budget and the mounting space, get four. That being said i used only two and a hi-lift to get myself out of the salar (salt lagoon) in the andes. a salar is a flat dry salt lake which floods during the rainy season. I drove on it and it broke through under my wheels. the effect is exactly the same as breaking through the ice of a frozen lake: there is nothing but saltwater slurry beneath that hard crust. I jacked up the truck and put the maxtrax under one front wheel and one back wheel. i found a rock for another of the wheels that sort held as well..then drove out with no problems. all alone at 4500 meters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94