Maxtrax Mounting pins

dstock

Explorer
I just purchased a set off Maxtrax Mounting pins so I can mout the Maxtrax on my expo trailer. This may seems like a moronic question, but here it goes! I can see how the pins rotate and lock but it seems the only way to do this is to slightly loosen the allen bolt at the top of the pin, otherwise they are totally locked in place.

Is the idea that you leave the allen bolt slightly loose for ease of access? Or are you supposed to loosen and tighten the allen bolt every time you need to use them? Not a huge deal either way, just trying to figure out what's the intent.

Or am I just doing it wrong...lol

TIA!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm pretty sure the pins are spring loaded (or at least mine are). They don't rotate super easy, but they do turn.

dstock

Explorer
I'm pretty sure the pins are spring loaded (or at least mine are). They don't rotate super easy, but they do turn.

Thanks, maybe when they are mounted up it will be easier. I thought that's how they worked but holding them in your hand they don't seem to budge!

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Howdy,

I'm the US distributor for MAXTRAX, thanks for supporting a small business!

The Allen bolt on top does not need to be touched. Once you mount them you'll be able to rotate the locks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
They are stiff but workable once they are mounted on a solid object. Mine are a PITA, but they seem to get easier the more they are used. I think the stiffness is just a function of the friction and compression of the plastic components. A little ArmorAll or something similar in the joint might help.

dstock

Explorer
Howdy,

The Allen bolt on top does not need to be touched. Once you mount them you'll be able to rotate the locks.

Thanks Matt, once I got them test mounted it all became clear!

dstock

Explorer
They are stiff but workable once they are mounted on a solid object. Mine are a PITA, but they seem to get easier the more they are used. I think the stiffness is just a function of the friction and compression of the plastic components. A little ArmorAll or something similar in the joint might help.

Once I got them mounted up they seem to work fine, I'm okay with them being a bit stiff, don't want them flying off on a rough road, too expensive to lose!!

Thanks.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
We design them to be a bit stiff so they don't rattle off or change position on serious washboard trails.

dstock

Explorer
We design them to be a bit stiff so they don't rattle off or change position on serious washboard trails.

Perfect, I think I pretty much built my entire trailer with Death Valley washboard roads in mind. The washboard on those roads is brutal!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Perfect, I think I pretty much built my entire trailer with Death Valley washboard roads in mind. The washboard on those roads is brutal!

I ran into someone in Saline who had a trailer that was, quite literally, falling apart. It was a small enclosed trailer and the skin had been applied with sheet metal screws.

dstock

Explorer
I ran into someone in Saline who had a trailer that was, quite literally, falling apart. It was a small enclosed trailer and the skin had been applied with sheet metal screws.

Oh man!! Yeah, I bet that Saline road has claimed more than a few! Love your Fuso by the way...hope to graduate to something like that down the road.

dstock

Explorer
The end result, works great! Nice and snug on my expo trailer.

i-9RThVGM-L.jpg

i-rmzNdRz-L.jpg

TFree

Matt,

I have seen the MaxTrax mounted on an AEV bumper/tire carrier hi lift mounting bracket. Do you know how it attached to AEV Hi Lift mounting bracket?

Troy

Howdy,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles