MaxTrax, are they worth it?

SnowedIn

Observer
Thanks for posting this. The idea of being waste deep in water during a recovery suggests just how bad it was! Yeesh! :)

I always carry a little 1.5 gallon pump sprayer; ended up taking a cold shower standing in the snow in my flipflops before getting back in the vehicle. The rest of the trip was carried out wearing a primaloft parka, gym shorts, and flip flops.

?

MiamiC70

So I see nearly every overlanding rig these days with at least one set of Maxtrax's if not two. Are they worth the $300 price tag per set? Can you get by without them, or is there a better alternative? I've seen others talking about aluminum ones, but those don't sound as durable to me. Does another manufacturer make a similar product for less that's just as good if not better?

I apologize if this comes off as a silly question to some, but spending $600 for two sets just to park on them at night seems a little ridiculous. Help clarify the reasoning/need for this purchase for me.
Only worth it if you need them. That said MaxTrax’s are nothing but more overpriced “Overlander” bling To hang off a truck. Take notice how most of the ones you see are still like new ?
I picked up pair of these with a discount on Amazon “just in case”.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Only worth it if you need them. That said MaxTrax’s are nothing but more overpriced “Overlander” bling To hang off a truck. Take notice how most of the ones you see are still like new ?
I picked up pair of these with a discount on Amazon “just in case”.

I picked a set up last year and so far they've been carried everywhere and only used once to help an idiot in an Acura get unstuck down at the beach lol. One day they will benefit my foolish mistakes, hopefully!?!?

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I haven't read all the posts in this multi-page thread...anyone buy/use X-Bull Recovery Tracks? Similar size and design to the others but much lower cost.

~$60.00 on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-BULL-3GE...w-Mud-Track-Tire-Ladder-Red-4WD-/222352552148

$75.90 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS1SKI...olid=2KOBBFSVUL828&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

s-l1600.jpg

ZMagic97

Explorer
Reactions: WVI

CCH

Adventurer
I broke down and bought a set of MT a couple of years ago, and they have bailed me out a couple of times, mainly in snow. They are by far the best investment I've made in recovery equipment this side of a shovel, and even that doesn't get much use now. However, I just throw them in the back of my truck, so I don't get any cool guy points.

old .45

Observer
None of my recovery gear is mounted on my truck, all is stored inside. My winch included, I don't haul it around all the time, only when I go some place where I think I may need it ( front receiver for mounting it) and yes I know all about the loss of some ground clearance, only straight line pulls, (I do have several snatch blocks and a ground anchor tho) etc. My rig Is a basically stock FX4 F150 aftermarket skids yes and AT tires of course and most of all knowing when things are no go. Soooo....... no cool points for me either I guess, Waa, Waa ?

rnArmy

Adventurer
I haven't read all the posts in this multi-page thread...anyone buy/use X-Bull Recovery Tracks? Similar size and design to the others but much lower cost.

~$60.00 on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-BULL-3GE...w-Mud-Track-Tire-Ladder-Red-4WD-/222352552148

$75.90 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS1SKI...olid=2KOBBFSVUL828&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Did you read any of the posts on this thread? Starting at least on page 4 X-bulls were mentioned. And mentioned a lot.

And there's a whole other thread under this same Recovery and Equipment heading titled "Besides MaxTraxx, what traction boards/mats do you use?" that's only four pages long, and it mentioned X-Bulls.

Ray_G

Explorer
Did you read any of the posts on this thread? Starting at least on page 4 X-bulls were mentioned. And mentioned a lot.

And there's a whole other thread under this same Recovery and Equipment heading titled "Besides MaxTraxx, what traction boards/mats do you use?" that's only four pages long, and it mentioned X-Bulls.

'I didn't read anything here...but here's a question that would be answered if I read the things here...'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GHI

gatorgrizz27

There is another “set of options” if you will. I started by buying a pair of the folding Go Treads, my reasoning being that they store under the folded down 3rd row seat, so I will always have them with me. I’m not going to drive around with Maxtrax strapped to or inside my vehicle 24/7.

They seem to get good reviews, but I don’t see them working great in really sloppy mud with packed up tires.

A buddy of mine bought a pair of the $70 X-Bulls that we put to good use yesterday. We were on a trail with two bypasses around waist deep water, squeezing between trees and making tight turns in soft mud. My LR3 with aired down BFG’s made it with judicious driving and the help of traction control, his Land Cruiser on fully inflated Coopers got bogged. Half a dozen sets of shoving the X-Bulls under the rear tires got him through.

I ordered a pair this morning so we will have 4 between us. Obviously 4 per vehicle is better if you’re in really bad stuff, but in most cases a pair is all you need.

A guy could start with a pair of X-Bulls and see how they do. If they work fine for your needs, get a second set.

If you feel like you might exceed the strengths of the first set, just buy a pair of Maxtrax for bridging, rocky terrain, etc. A pair of each would save significant $ and still work in almost all cases.

If you end up on a real expedition and want a second pair of Maxtrax, having 6 in total can speed things up in long muddy sections to basically have a mini road, or you could give them to a less prepared fellow traveler, local that you come across stuck at night, etc.

The point is, it doesn’t have to be “all or nothing” as some might suggest.

rnArmy

Adventurer
There is another “set of options” if you will. I started by buying a pair of the folding Go Treads, my reasoning being that they store under the folded down 3rd row seat, so I will always have them with me. I’m not going to drive around with Maxtrax strapped to or inside my vehicle 24/7.

They seem to get good reviews, but I don’t see them working great in really sloppy mud with packed up tires.

A buddy of mine bought a pair of the $70 X-Bulls that we put to good use yesterday. We were on a trail with two bypasses around waist deep water, squeezing between trees and making tight turns in soft mud. My LR3 with aired down BFG’s made it with judicious driving and the help of traction control, his Land Cruiser on fully inflated Coopers got bogged. Half a dozen sets of shoving the X-Bulls under the rear tires got him through.

I ordered a pair this morning so we will have 4 between us. Obviously 4 per vehicle is better if you’re in really bad stuff, but in most cases a pair is all you need.

A guy could start with a pair of X-Bulls and see how they do. If they work fine for your needs, get a second set.

If you feel like you might exceed the strengths of the first set, just buy a pair of Maxtrax for bridging, rocky terrain, etc. A pair of each would save significant $ and still work in almost all cases.

If you end up on a real expedition and want a second pair of Maxtrax, having 6 in total can speed things up in long muddy sections to basically have a mini road, or you could give them to a less prepared fellow traveler, local that you come across stuck at night, etc.

The point is, it doesn’t have to be “all or nothing” as some might suggest.

I think you nailed it with the "All or nothing" comment. "Something" is better than nothing. Having a set of X-Bulls is better than nothing. I've got two pairs of X-Bulls - one for each tire.

Ray_G

Explorer
Something is certainly better than nothing. That said the go treads were a one time use when we tried them out side by side with maxtrax, action trax, 1st gen xbulls, fiberglass waffle boards, etc.

Doesn't make them bad, just makes them less durable for repeated usage.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles